The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

TZ10 (ZS7) GPS locations database

Braeside

I recently got a Panasonic TZ10 (ZS7). Lovely little camera and it has a built in GPS for geotagging.

Now, I may have deleted some of the landmarks from the GPS database, but I am not absolutely sure. At least I didn't delete the whole database, which does appear to be possible from the menus!

The manual has to be the worst in the world, so I am struggling to find if I can somehow restore the GPS locations database to its original state.

Surely they can't have designed it so that an idiot like me can delete parts of the built in database with no way to reload it??

Any help would be much appreciated.

BTW it isn't the end of the world if some of the landmarks are deleted permanently as the embedded lat lon is still recorded in the exif for use by iPhoto and Aperture.

Last edited:

Braeside

No-one else with a TZ10 (ZS7) (Leica V-LUX 20) who has any insight into the deletion/reinstallation of the GPS database?

pollobarca

If the DB is on your SD card I would think a file recovery program might be able to help.
There are some free ones about. Back up what you have first though!

Any chance of seeing some PIX?

best of luck

paul

Terry

I had the camera and sold it pretty quickly. I really wanted the GPS and could not get it to lock on much of the time in SF.

Braeside

@pollobarca

It is apparently in internal memory, not on the SD card, not visible in the partition you can see when you connect the camera via USB to the computer.
I'll post some pix soon. Kind of got sidetracked with this GPS nonsense.

Terry, I don't seem to have a problem with lock on, maybe that is due to the release of Panasonic V1.2 firmware for the TZ10. Of course I am not in the same type of location.
It isn't as sensitive as the iPhone GPS, which works quite well indoors with adjacent windows, though of course the iPhone has assistance from wifi and celltower triangulation to help it on its way.

I noticed when I was abroad and had to turn off cellphone data because of extortionate data charges (£6 a MB or was it £1 for 6MB) - that the iPhone took a little longer to acquire a GPS fix without the help it normally gets.