The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX2 iso samples and findings..

Photon-hunter

Some of you have been kindly and faithfully following my LX2 photoblog. I appreciate and thank you all for your visits and comments!!

Today I have posted an un-scientific mini review, some iso samples and some of my findings from the time I have spent with this camera. Nothing too serious..

Feel free to pop in for a look and to leave your cooments (feel free to flame me as well, my blog is un-censored.. ;-)

http://www.lx2diary.wordpress.com

Thanks

Very interesting reading, Erik! I own the D-lux 3, as well as the Digilux 2, and my own major gripe with the D-lux is that I simply haven´t anywhere to put my clumsy fingers when using it; I keep pressing various buttons by mistake, putting the camera in review mode just when the decisive moment arrives, & c.... I don´t know if your hands are smaller than mine, or if you´re simply more dexterious than me...:salute: Possibly, that tiny grip on the Panasonic (that isn´t there on the Leica) is part of the explanation.

Other than that, I second your high esteem of its capabilities. I have to practice more to get the knack of handling it.... And I do like your B/W images!

(As I write, I realize that it might have been better to post these comments in your diary instead of here. But this is where I read it first...).

Photon-hunter

Thanks for the kind words Per. I have a feeling that the little grip in the Panny DOES make a difference. It is the main reason I went for the Panny instead of the Leica after handling both. My hands are not small by any means and the LX2 seems to "fall" better in my hand. I seem to feel more comfortable with this smal camera every day, though the fact that it is allways with me and that I use it daily may be the reason...

Best, Erik.

nostatic

Here's how I hold the DLux3. I put a small piece of the soft side of velcro on the front to give a bit of grip, but this position works well for me and I don't end up accidentally pushing buttons. In fact I've gotten so used to it going to the GRD2 was a bit odd.

Well, the velcro patch looks like it´s worth a try (saw it in the other thread). I even tried my Konerman "Sling", but it doesn´t work well; the finger positions aren´t the same as on a bigger Leica (it works great on the D2, as can be seen on my avatar).

nostatic

to be honest, the velcro doesn't do that much. The key for me is having the upper right corner of the camera tucked tightly against the inside knuckle joint of my index finger (tip can reach the shutter, zoom is a little tough), and having my thumb tight along the bottom back edge of the body, right near where the right edge of the screen starts. The front finger curled on the body gives me thumb something to push against.

Yes, one important thing with ANY handheld camera (even a Hasselblad) is to have something to counteract the force from the finger that pushes the shutter release, ideally some part of the same hand (next to impossible with a Hassy...). Then, the forces cancel out, and camera shake is much reduced.

With the D-lux 3, I´ve used the fleshy base of my right thumb to rest the bottom plate on while pressing the release with my right index finger. The thought (if any) behind this is that the thumb tip falls directly above the joystick - but that´s where harm´s way is....

I´ll try to adjust to your method and see if I can learn to like it. In any case, it leaves the camera back free of fingers...