The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia N8 anyone?

Lili

Congrats Lili! the n8 indeed does record sound with amazing clarity, thanks to the dual mics recording in stereo. Image quality is excellent for a point a shoot everyday camera. Just ensure you install the mute shutter app. It will allow one to disable the annoying shutter sound when taking images, like a real cam.

mazor
Thanks Mazor, is that app in the Ovi store?

Rawfa

Don´t tempt me!

true, Rawfa, Symbian has really been a let down, and it is a pity Nokia has invested so much into this defunc OS. As for the memory, Symbian being as archaic as it is really does not need that much memory to run. The 256Mb RAM will seem massive for any symbian device as programs generally take up alot less pace than the likes of Window Mobile, iphone ios, or android. What does need some upgrading is the CPU! Its fast enough to most people, but then compare it to an Iphone or Android and the competition will blow it away. But lets look on a positive side. The slower CPU does equate to amazing battery life, and admittedly I have found the N8 outlasting iphone 3gs and 4 by leaps and bounds. Iphone has excellent standby time, but then use it for any period of time, ie turn it on, and you can literally see the battery gauge drop! With the N8 I can be emailing, txting, as well as using the camera, and after a days use will still have pretty over half my battery left. The iphone on the other hand is continuously looking for a power outlet or some form of external charge after half a day usually, which in my opinion is acceptable for a notebook, but not acceptable for a phone.

Interestingly, when playing 3d games on the N8, it plays real smooth, which I suspect is due to a good 3D GPU in the N8 rather than CPU..

So basically what I am saying is as long as you don't compare against other devices you will not disappointed at Symbian. It does everything the competition has on offer, plus it does have a pretty amazing camera which trumps most phone cameras out there.

MAzor

mazor

no lili, that app will not be in ovi store as it breeches somelaws in certain regions whereby it is compulsory for mobilephone cameras to make an audible sound when capturing images. Are you in Europe? If you are then the option to mute shutter I believe is by default available and no patch software is required.

The hack install file is available via website when you google mute-shutter. From there you need to "sign" the software, as part of symbians dum software developer security. Iise a 3rd party signing online tool which works well for me.

You may also be interested in HyperX 100% JPG hack patch. It makes image size 5x that of standard image to get "raw" like quality. Other side effects of the hack give 30fps video recording over default 25fps, and possibly continuous autofocus video recording, but this option never worked for me. Again though you will have to find a way to sign the software to work on your device.

mazor

mazor

rawfa, be tempted! Its pretty amazing how much Nokia packed into such a small device! The N8 exudes quality made of an all metal moulded enclosure. Its basically the most powerful multimedia capture phone in the market today. Combined with an excellent map program using the internal gps, stereo recording, Hdmi output, plus a built in FM transmitter that on RDS car stereos will recognize as "Nokia" on the cars display screen. wifi, bluetooth 3.0, etc etc In terms of hardware features the N8 will eat any smart phone in the market including iphone.

Just in case you still have doubts have a look at this comparison I made to compare n8 against the Nex 5 with 16mm pancake in low light. Both lens 2.8, this is cropped in 1:1 res

sorry for the large size, but it has to be large so difference in noise can be seen

Last edited:

mazor

appart from the bokeh difference, the image from n8 surprisingly cleans up real well and retains details. I am very glad Nokia opted for a less aggressive noise reduction profile and hence allows the operator to do their own post processing to their taste.

Lili

Mazor, mine does not allow me to silence the shutter :(
Otherwise I love this little gem!

mazor

Mazor, mine does not allow me to silence the shutter :(
Otherwise I love this little gem!
Sorry to hear, mines silent like a mouse after installing the patch.

go do some image snapping!!.

If you know how to install .sis or sisx files on your n8, you can send me your imei and I can try get it signed in a day or two.

Some hints for better images. Always change in shooting options sharpness to soft. I set my custom profile for this with lowest ISO sensitivity. Problem is everytime you power off and on camera , the main setting reset. So now I just use my custom shooting profile or when close ups, just remember to set sharpness to soft. The sharpening Nokia does may be nice instant prints, but for us, we prefer to do our own USM as needed ;)

For us slealth shooters with muted shutter sound, I tend to use landscape mode as usually the subject is far, plus the last thing you want is the autofocus assist beam lighting up the unexpecting subject like a christmas tree.

mazor

Lili

Sorry to hear, mines silent like a mouse after installing the patch.

go do some image snapping!!.

If you know how to install .sis or sisx files on your n8, you can send me your imei and I can try get it signed in a day or two.

Some hints for better images. Always change in shooting options sharpness to soft. I set my custom profile for this with lowest ISO sensitivity. Problem is everytime you power off and on camera , the main setting reset. So now I just use my custom shooting profile or when close ups, just remember to set sharpness to soft. The sharpening Nokia does may be nice instant prints, but for us, we prefer to do our own USM as needed ;)

For us slealth shooters with muted shutter sound, I tend to use landscape mode as usually the subject is far, plus the last thing you want is the autofocus assist beam lighting up the unexpecting subject like a christmas tree.

mazor
Thanks for the tips, Mazor.
Been down with a cold but have shot a bit

I wanna try the HyperX were you offering to sign the Mute or HyperX?

Rawfa

Hey Lili, will you be keeping your Vibrant once you get the N8? Let me know as I may be interested.

Lili

Rafa, I am not sure yet. I would have to get it unlocked so you could use it.

2 from my N8

Last edited: