The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

canon s95 praise

ibcj

I read many of David Pogue's pieces, but he lost me after this statement: "It can blur the background the way professionals do."

I owned the S90 for a short time, and it is a very nice camera, so I'm sure that the S95 follows suit.

arashm

I've been using a S95 for a short bit now and actually really like it for "what it is".
I think it's an excellent go anywhere photographer friendly companion.
I'm looking forward to C1 supporting the raw files.
am

cam

i would love to hear more opinions on this, as my uncle saw the David Pogue article and fell in love...

we've been bugging him to upgrade, but i don't know how much of one this is after seeing what he did with my M8 and 35 Lux :rolleyes:

he is seriously a really great photographer but doesn't want to carry anything heavy around... probably the thing that gives me most pause is the lack of a VF.

Maggie O

probably the thing that gives me most pause is the lack of a VF.
That, and apparently there's no correction for distortion and vignetting if you shoot RAW, if I read a couple of reviews correctly. I'm not sure I'd want to shoot .jpg all the time.

cam

i'm working on him to shoot RAW, but not sure how far that will go... of course, if you can shoot both, i can convince him to do so and do the RAW conversion for him...

Maggie O

If he's not shooting RAW already, then the S95 might be the right camera for him, because it sounds like it's got a fantastic .jpg engine in it.

cam

thank you, Maggie -- that's cool!

i try to give tutorials to my aunt when i'm visiting the folks but it's hard to do via emails... a great JPEG engine is good news indeed :D

Maggie O

The S95 is a camera I'd recommend to just about anyone, but one I probably wouldn't buy, because I likes me my RAW files. And besides, I'm going to win a D-Lux 5, right? ;)

J

jasonb34

I've used the S90 and it was a great camera. However like with most things I see from David Pogue, he's more of a writer than a user.. Not a fan of his photography skills and hard to take the review seriously based on his samples.

atanabe

Just got the S95 and find it photographer friendly. Easy to use commands decent images from a small camera and auto everything for the wife.
As far as RAW and distortion/vignetting there is a correction in the Digital Photo Professional software that adjusts these issues. At the time it is the only solution at hand to process the RAW images out of this camera, PS, LR and iPhoto are helpless.