Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 201 to 233 of 233

Thread: Ricoh GR II

  1. #201
    arrakis10
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    New photos with noise reduction desactived, shoot 800iso.
    I love so much that noise, its first time than numeric camera give noise like Tri-x.

    Proud of our noise




  2. #202
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    That's a really interesting thought because until they're saved, they really are images. I think of saved pictures, however, as "prints" of a kind so when I prepare pictures for an article, for example, I think of that process as a kind of "printing". But you're right that while they're in flux on the screen, they really are images.

    I'll ask Thomas Knoll about this.

    Cheers,

    Sean
    Hiyas all around the globe,

    As a long/old-timer with RF+VF this Ricoh kit seems interesting, but I wonder if the DNG file is 8 or 16 bits wide/deep. Seeing the GRD as a replacement for the T4/XA, and new to digital cams(with an old 2MP CoolPix 950 and 8bit RAW), I'm a data type... what's this about Ricoh's DNG not legible in certain 'puter apps? DNG is DNG, no? Oh, and I've an M8 as well...

    Starting here at this forum both for the "Small Sensor" and the slightly OT bent of this thread because the discussion is good

    As for the Golden Mean, that is academic/learned, whether by name or instructor(in the so named "West"); and 4:3 was defined as "marine"(the predominance of horizon?) from 19C. Western painting/drawing... point is, someone you were influenced had this cartography/mapping in mind while teaching...

    Lastly, here, the "picture" and "image" is distinguished between what is(the picture) and what is seen(the image). This distinction is from the perspective of the viewer, or audience... each with her/his own context while taking in the mapping/pictographic (re)presentation... and this includes the creator too.

    This seems a "Klein's Bottle" wrt the Ricoh kit: is it Tri-X, or someting other?
    Do I let the camera define my picture, or image? With film kit, only the lens had influence. With digital, I seek the cleanest data path... is the GRDII cleaner than that before it? Noise is a symptom of the audience's experience... sometimes wanted, most times not(so, your not listening to "your" music as you read this?).

    So, is it 8 or 16 bits RAW/DNG? Nowhere reviewed(freely) to confirm this.

    rgds,
    Dave

    PS-Mr Knoll's opinion about "image" an "picture" would be interesting too.

  3. #203
    arrakis10
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Hi,

    I made a test between Ricoh GRDII and Panasonic DMC-LX2 Lumix
    the lumix is a zoom camera and is cheaper than ricoh.

    I took the photo in Raw 28mm, 100iso f3,5 and crop 100%

    The Ricoh one is the first one...I was desapointed


  4. #204
    7ian7
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    I completely missed this conversation until this morning, when I began from the end of the thread and read much of it in the opposite direction. I think my comments pertain to some area in the middle of the thread, so sorry for coming out of left field.

    Anyway, my two cents on 4/3 is .... I love that kind of shape. Polaroid negative film, Pentax 67. It feels right to me. But if I'm honest with myself, I respond historically to the "porous" quality of 35mm more than I do to my own medium format work despite 35's reduced resolution. (Nothing is better to my eye than the Polaroid, but that was a cumbersome, iffy addiction.) The long skinny 35 frame has never really appealed to me, so I would usually crop except in purely journalistic circumstances.

    So for me the advent of better and better cameras that have a similar "chunky" shape and (thus far) porousness (noise/softness) (admittedly almost to a fault) has been a nice development.

    In terms of books, I believe any time you can drill down the variables regarding your gear choices without compromising your vision or intent, those kinds of boundaries can lend one more level of continuity to a project, and in a sense, ideally help the technique disappear behind the content. I think of "The Americans" as an example.

    I plan on attempting to do my next long-term project with a single camera.

  5. #205
    veriwide
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Hi everyone... kind of new here and with question to boot ! Most of what I see discussed here is with regards the image quality of the GR vis-a-vis 35mm film. Most of these comments seem to hinge on the on-screen presentation of photos. What I really would like to know is what kind of paper prints you are getting out of these files. For me, the measure of just how good these small sensor cameras really are is in the hard photo. Are they as satisfying, as for instance, a 35mm film negative scanned and printed?

    I still own a Konica/Minolta Dimage A2 in addition to the used GR I just picked up. I also have a Ricoh GR1 and many negs from my days with a Leica M4 with mostly a 21mm Super Angulon. I also still use a Brooks Veriwide 100 6x10cm medium format, which I will not get into for now. The prints that I have managed to get so far from the GR and for that matter the A2 do not compare to the prints I achieve from the film cameras. I know that they are different and perhaps I should not expect them to be the same. But why is it that the digital prints rarely satisfy in the same way? If only it were possible, I would love to see some of your work in the flesh !

    So, my question is this : How many of you make real prints - in B/W I might add - from your digital files, and how do you find that they compare to film based prints ?

    Bernard

    PS: BTW, I should say that as I have only had the GR for 2 weeks. I have not done that much work with it I may yet find that it does satisfy
    Last edited by veriwide; 14th December 2007 at 09:45. Reason: PS

  6. #206
    Sean_Reid
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    I really like the way this camera draws.

    Cheers,

    Sean

  7. #207
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Maggie O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Standards Are Down All Over
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Very nice.

  8. #208
    Sean_Reid
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    And it kept snowing.

  9. #209
    Sean_Reid
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Over this past year, in particular, water has been a constant in many of my pictures: people on beaches, swimmers diving off cliffs, firemen playing a kind of water polo with water hoses - thousands of pictures from often shooting 5-6 hours straight per day.

    So, without even realizing the continuation, I took the GR2 with me a few days ago to photograph during a snowstorm. I like glass too. The snow melting on the windows of my car, and the fogging, created a kind of surface that I wanted to combine with what I was seeing outside those windows. I wanted the two to fuse together, to make forms together.

    And here's the thing about this format...in order to fuse those two things together, I needed enormous depth of field. The droplets still needed to be droplets and the mother and child (second picture) needed to look like human figures. So, the GR2 at F/5.6. These cameras can allow us a kind of picture making that simply didn't exist (in photography) prior to their invention. Their invention allows visual inventions.

    There's nothing "better" about this format but its really not all that much like 35 mm film and it has very interesting possibilities.

    Cheers,

    Sean

  10. #210
    Sean_Reid
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    And there's more snow coming soon to Vermont.

  11. #211
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Sean,

    I really like those shots.

    Best,

    Mitchell

  12. #212
    Mitch Alland
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Good pictures, Sean. What speed were they shot at? Here in Bangkok, I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...

    —Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Last edited by Mitch Alland; 15th December 2007 at 19:56.

  13. #213
    Sean_Reid
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Hi Mitchell, Maggie and Mitch,

    Thank you. They won't be everyone's cup of tea but they're interesting to me right now.

    Mitch,

    Which ISO? 100...why do you ask?

    Cheers,

    Sean

  14. #214
    Mitch Alland
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Sean:

    I asked because I like the look better than what I've been getting at ISO100, but it's hard to tell as your posted JPGs are quite small. But maybe the look is better at lower contrast than in my pictures.

    —Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

  15. #215
    Sean_Reid
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    And they shoveled to get their cars out...

  16. #216
    Sean_Reid
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    Sean:

    I asked because I like the look better than what I've been getting at ISO100, but it's hard to tell as your posted JPGs are quite small. But maybe the look is better at lower contrast than in my pictures.

    —Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Hi Mitch,

    They look like that large too - and in print. It might be partly the contrast but also the water itself (as snow, as fog, etc.) acts on the surface in a different, but somewhat related, way to the way grain acts on it. In fact, I almost wrote in the first post, "Here's your grain, Mitch, but it fell from the sky."

    Best,

    Sean

  17. #217
    Mitch Alland
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    ..In fact, I almost wrote in the first post, "Here's your grain, Mitch, but it fell from the sky."...
    Heh-heh, Sean. Here in Bangkok I can only have water in the liquid state (This is OT for this thread: GRD at ISO800):



    —Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

  18. #218
    Sean_Reid
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    There you go...<G> I particularly like what those droplets do when they're seen against the shadowy parts of the picture. Here we get water in every imaginable form.

    This is a wonderful little camera.

    Cheers,

    Sean

  19. #219
    Caer
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Coincidentally, I took some similar (in-car) shots last night:

    That's a JPEG straight from the camera, with nothing done to it. I'm going to experiment with this, just see what the camera can do by itself for colour at night.

  20. #220
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    [QUOTE=Sean_Reid;2486]This is the new GR II thread. Welcome all who are interested. Some of the initial posts here are migrating from a thread on another board so things may seem out of order at first but that should sort itself out once we get past the original posts that are being impo

    Hi Sean

    I have the GX100 and noted some blockiness in fine detail (waves in San Francisco Bay). Is this just a manifestation of the small sensor, or did I push the USM too much?? Took some great shots in the fort at the base of the Golden Gate bridge. Even the flash did fine in some dark interior shots.

    Interested now in the GRD II. Do u think that it complements the GX100, or is too similar for considering a purchase??

    Enjoyed ur Pentax K10D review.

    Martin

  21. #221
    Sean_Reid
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    [QUOTE=Martin S;4370]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    This is the new GR II thread. Welcome all who are interested. Some of the initial posts here are migrating from a thread on another board so things may seem out of order at first but that should sort itself out once we get past the original posts that are being impo

    Hi Sean

    I have the GX100 and noted some blockiness in fine detail (waves in San Francisco Bay). Is this just a manifestation of the small sensor, or did I push the USM too much?? Took some great shots in the fort at the base of the Golden Gate bridge. Even the flash did fine in some dark interior shots.

    Interested now in the GRD II. Do u think that it complements the GX100, or is too similar for considering a purchase??

    Enjoyed ur Pentax K10D review.

    Martin
    Hi Martin,

    Start a thread with some 100% crops, noting the workflow, and lets take a look.

    As to GX-100 vs. GR2. It mostly comes down to the lens difference and one of things I want to find out, in testing, is how much difference there really is.
    So, its too soon for me to say but others may have some ideas.

    Cheers,

    Sean
    Last edited by Sean_Reid; 16th December 2007 at 06:31.

  22. #222
    chris_tribble
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post

    And here's the thing about this format...in order to fuse those two things together, I needed enormous depth of field. The droplets still needed to be droplets and the mother and child (second picture) needed to look like human figures. So, the GR2 at F/5.6. These cameras can allow us a kind of picture making that simply didn't exist (in photography) prior to their invention. Their invention allows visual inventions.

    There's nothing "better" about this format but its really not all that much like 35 mm film and it has very interesting possibilities.

    Cheers,

    Sean
    Sean - excellent point - and visually beautifully exemplified.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Best

  23. #223
    Sean_Reid
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Thanks Chris,

    Cheers,

    Sean

  24. #224
    Sean_Reid
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    BTW, in black and white I'm finding that this camera does well at ISO 800 and, amazingly, even at 1600. I'm surprised.

    Cheers,

    Sean

  25. #225
    7ian7
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Nice work, everyone!

    Caer's color is so evocative.

    Sometimes these cameras produce results that
    remind me even more of large-format than
    of 35mm, however crazy that may sound, despite
    the noise (which is appealing and sets it off again
    in to its own category).

    Very cool.

    Greetings from the slushstorm, NYC.

  26. #226
    paralx
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Loving the GRD2 in Black+White all the way up to 1600. I haven't shot much color. But the few things that I have shot, it has a pretty unique character.

  27. #227
    orliekim
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    some great images here....chris love yours..
    andy

  28. #228
    Senior Member Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Near London
    Posts
    1,054
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    I've not made the time to learn much of the RAW pp methods but I'm learning a lot from these threads. I'll have to start working on it. In the mean time I thought I'd post an in camera jpg I took this weekend that I quite like. Just croped it slightly and did some levels adjustment.

    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2260/...52e8488f_b.jpg

  29. #229
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Sean

    This is my first posting, though I've been avidly following this forum and its predecessors ever since your first articles on Luminous Landscape and Reid Reviews. I've found the pictures and discussions fascinating, both for approaches and insights that I already agree with and for those that stretch my understanding.

    At the moment I'm concentrating more on post processing what I've already got than on making new photos but, nonetheless, I'm intensely interested in each of the three small Ricohs and in sorting out which of them will best suit my needs. I know the discussions and photos here, and your own forthcoming tests will, be a big part of that decision.

    Since the original GRD is still a real contender as far as I'm concerned, I'm hoping that you're planning to do a three way comparison involving the GRD 1, the GX100 and the GRD 2. While I'm sure you could get part way there using data from your initial article, the firmware upgrades (and especially the 40 mme auxiliary lens) introduce significant new variables that could best be dealt with only by testing them all together. (I do know you've got lots on your plate, and don't want to overburden you, but....)

    I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd eagerly await such "full disclosure" (not that we want to "await" any longer than's absolutely necessary!) so I hope you might agree and might be able to come up with a GRD1 to add to the other two without too much difficulty.

    Not yet knowing how to post pictures, I'll sign off now with thanks to everyone.

    Irenaeus

  30. #230
    roberth
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    I am really enjoying these images, for someone that thought he loved that soft out of focus stuff these are really working for me in all of their infocus strong lines. Maybe a part of me learning to draw (with much patience), this type of line drawing is becoming very appealing.

  31. #231
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Quote Originally Posted by Irenaeus View Post
    Sean

    This is my first posting, though I've been avidly following this forum and its predecessors ever since your first articles on Luminous Landscape and Reid Reviews. I've found the pictures and discussions fascinating, both for approaches and insights that I already agree with and for those that stretch my understanding.

    At the moment I'm concentrating more on post processing what I've already got than on making new photos but, nonetheless, I'm intensely interested in each of the three small Ricohs and in sorting out which of them will best suit my needs. I know the discussions and photos here, and your own forthcoming tests will, be a big part of that decision.

    Since the original GRD is still a real contender as far as I'm concerned, I'm hoping that you're planning to do a three way comparison involving the GRD 1, the GX100 and the GRD 2. While I'm sure you could get part way there using data from your initial article, the firmware upgrades (and especially the 40 mme auxiliary lens) introduce significant new variables that could best be dealt with only by testing them all together. (I do know you've got lots on your plate, and don't want to overburden you, but....)

    I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd eagerly await such "full disclosure" (not that we want to "await" any longer than's absolutely necessary!) so I hope you might agree and might be able to come up with a GRD1 to add to the other two without too much difficulty.

    Not yet knowing how to post pictures, I'll sign off now with thanks to everyone.

    Irenaeus


    Read this for posting images . Have Fun http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  32. #232
    Sean_Reid
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    Quote Originally Posted by Irenaeus View Post
    Sean

    This is my first posting, though I've been avidly following this forum and its predecessors ever since your first articles on Luminous Landscape and Reid Reviews. I've found the pictures and discussions fascinating, both for approaches and insights that I already agree with and for those that stretch my understanding.

    At the moment I'm concentrating more on post processing what I've already got than on making new photos but, nonetheless, I'm intensely interested in each of the three small Ricohs and in sorting out which of them will best suit my needs. I know the discussions and photos here, and your own forthcoming tests will, be a big part of that decision.

    Since the original GRD is still a real contender as far as I'm concerned, I'm hoping that you're planning to do a three way comparison involving the GRD 1, the GX100 and the GRD 2. While I'm sure you could get part way there using data from your initial article, the firmware upgrades (and especially the 40 mme auxiliary lens) introduce significant new variables that could best be dealt with only by testing them all together. (I do know you've got lots on your plate, and don't want to overburden you, but....)

    I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd eagerly await such "full disclosure" (not that we want to "await" any longer than's absolutely necessary!) so I hope you might agree and might be able to come up with a GRD1 to add to the other two without too much difficulty.

    Not yet knowing how to post pictures, I'll sign off now with thanks to everyone.

    Irenaeus
    Hi Irenaeus,

    Welcome and thanks very much for the comments. For the sake of simplicity, the set I'm going to compare will be the GR2, GX100 and Canon G9. Hopefully that information, combined with the previous GR review and the input from forum members, will help people to get a sense of the new GR vs. the old.

    In a nutshell (compared to the old camera) the GR2 is much faster (in RAW mode) and has slightly higher resolution along with a better S/N ratio (seems to be about a stop better but I'll know more when I do direct tests). I understand that some, for visual/stylistic reasons, may prefer the higher noise levels of the original GR but, of course, those noise levels also come at the expense of some dynamic range (which is always true for any digital camera, of course).

    So, for many photographers, the choice may well come down to GR2 vs. GX100. And, of course, the million dollar question there is, "How different are the lenses on these two cameras, in practice?" The G9 is a reference camera and is also being tested on its own.

    Cheers,

    Sean

  33. #233
    Huwge
    Guest

    Re: Ricoh GR II

    In London last weekend I bought a GRD 2 on the spur of the moment and am not regretting the decision. A lack of spare time currently means that I am still trying to identify the best workflow for processing RAW images and am unhappy that C1 does not work. I hear good things about Silkypix but have found Aperture and CS3 less easy to manage than C1.

    Anyway, here is an example processed in CS3

    Huw

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •