The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GR II

M

Mitch Alland

Thanks Sean. No hurry. But Mitch, if you could comment on it, I would appreciate it.

By the way, is anyone else's thread upside down? The new posts are at the top for me...it is backwards for me and driving me crazy. Is there a way to change it?
Stuart:

I should really test the GX100 vs the GRD II, but I'm not really into testing and having just got back to Bangkok from Paris have been severely jet-lagged; but I'll see whether I can do anything tomorrow. So far, I've found the GX100 pictures softer than those form the GRD II; and, even though the GX100 can withstand aggressive sharpening quite well, it doesn't render textures as well as either the GRD or the GRD II. I also assume that if the image quality of the GX100 was a good as that of the GRD II Ricoh would have made it the successor to the GRD. Sean suggests that my copy of the GX100 might have a lens below the GX100 standard; and this is something else that I'll have to have a look at, but I don't think that is the case. You can see a set of GX100 pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/sets/72157603089594785/show/

On the forum being "upside-down". I had the same problem. What you have to do is click on "Control Panel" and then click on "Edit Options" and at the bottom of the page you'll see "Thread Displaying Options" and, under "Thread Display Mode" select "Linear - Oldest First".

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Stuart Richardson

Stuart look above on top left and hit User CP than go in and hit Edit options than scroll down to Thread display options. Than you will see Thread display mode and a drop down box i have Linear- Oldest first. Try that
Perfect, thank you both!

Mitch, don't go out of your way. I am not back in the US for another week or two and I would not buy a camera before then anyway. I will look hard at the two cameras, because I think the largest difference will likely be whether I choose to go with a zoom or a prime...if I can live with a set 28mm, I will get the GRDII.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The forum default was wrong guys , i just fixed it to Oldest first as the default. Thanks for both reporting that.

S

Sean_Reid

The forum default was wrong guys , i just fixed it to Oldest first as the default. Thanks for both reporting that.
Just because I was the OP does that now mean I'm now the most elderly?

Cheers,

Sean

Will

I have both the GRD and GX100 now, so I could post a couple of RAW files tomorrow for you to play with if that would help?

B

bertil

Mitch,

I think maybe it's time to just start adding grain in post as needed. There's nothing sacred about the file as it comes from the camera. Sean
I use LightRoom, then add grain using DXO on my GRD or GX100 files.
i've been following Mitch and Sean's work/reviews alot and this is my first post.
bertil

johnkuo

I'm another M8 owner who just bought the GRD2 and really enjoy having a high quality pocket camera with me at all times. I've been following the thread at its original location quite closely, and I'm glad it found a home here. Thanks guys!

John

M

Mark Turney

Thanks for the invitation Mitch. It's nice to be part of a professional group again. I will post some images as time permits. Keep your excellent commentaries and images coming Sir.

Take care.

Mark T.

Yes, I hope so. I like the idea of a forum free form brand chauvinism, although I have nothing about enthusiasm and advocacy of cameras and lenses that people like.

On the dpreview Ricoh Forum, which has recently been infested by a virulent troll, I have posted an invitation for people to join us here. Sean, you might want to add to that invitation.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

M

Mark Turney

OK...I hope GRD I images are permitted here, and that I post the link correctly. This is only my second posting here; but, I'm hoping to make GetDPI.com forums my new 'home', as I already can tell I like the company. Anyway, enough of my babbling; here's some pics (CC always welcome):

Thanks and take care.

Mark T.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Mark you can post right in the thread . I also should show you folks a cool trick too . if you load a image in the gallery you find the image you want to show folks than click on it you will see a BB code just copy that and you can post that in your thread post or anywhere on the internet and it links to your gallery image.

Here is a sample

Guy Mancuso

Just some cool ways to post images . Okay sorry to interrupt. The Gallery is a unique software we added and has a lot of tricks you have 20mg's of Free space in there for regular members and you can upgrade too