The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the S90/S95

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks guys, I think I will make a nice print on my favourite German Etching. I have been comparing identical (ish) frames shot on the Oly Pen with Panny pancake 20mm lens and the S95 and the Oly is clearly sharper but not really good enough to compete with a 'proper' camera and so is neither fish nor fowl. The S95 can make a very decent snapshot but for me its real strength is the 'small sensor' look in bigger prints on the right sort of paper.

ZoranC

I am really enjoying my s95, which I ended up purchasing when I realised the limitations of the upcoming Oly XZ-1 that I had intended to get.
As a potential owner of XZ-1 I would be very interested to hear what you consider it's limitations, please.

tashley

Subscriber Member
As a potential owner of XZ-1 I would be very interested to hear what you consider it's limitations, please.
I believe that people agree that its sensor is very slightly less good at higher ISO though of course the lens is 1/3rd of a stop faster. More importantly for me though is the fact there there is, so far, no proper way of independently controlling AE-L and AF-L and that makes it a non-starter for me I'm afraid!

ZoranC

I believe that people agree that its sensor is very slightly less good at higher ISO though of course the lens is 1/3rd of a stop faster.
I was not aware of any side by side tests yet, does this mean you could point me to some?

More importantly for me though is the fact there there is, so far, no proper way of independently controlling AE-L and AF-L and that makes it a non-starter for me I'm afraid!
I can see why someone would not like that. On my S90 focus point is not controllable. Is it controllable on S95 or XZ1?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I just read a zillion threads and it was often repeated that the sensor is marginally less good than the s95. They DPReview Oly forum. As for focus, i never use anything other than centre/lock/recompose!

ZoranC

I just read a zillion threads and it was often repeated that the sensor is marginally less good than the s95. They DPReview Oly forum.

As for focus, i never use anything other than centre/lock/recompose!
Thank you for the clarification! In that case I will have to treat sensor statement with a chunk of salt and interpret "AF and AE not being properly controlled' as "they don't work the way I prefer to use cameras" as some of us prefer to select focus point rather than recomposing when camera can do that and prefer cameras that are not forcing us to do it their way.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thank you for the clarification! In that case I will have to treat sensor statement with a chunk of salt and interpret "AF and AE not being properly controlled' as "they don't work the way I prefer to use cameras" as some of us prefer to select focus point rather than recomposing when camera can do that and prefer cameras that are not forcing us to do it their way.
Fair points - but I actually believe the sensor thing is true, it is very widely written about: the Oly has the same sensor as the LX5 and it is slightly noisier at higher ISOs according to reviews.

And each of us uses cameras in different ways for sure but not having an AE lock counts any camera out for me, however it handles focus. These things are very personal though, so I very much hope you enjoy the Oly if you get it!

ZoranC

Fair points - but I actually believe the sensor thing is true, it is very widely written about: the Oly has the same sensor as the LX5 and it is slightly noisier at higher ISOs according to reviews.
I have looked at DPR's review when it came out and to my eyes XZ1 is better even at high ISOs. Shots at ISO 1600 processed from RAW are bit noisier _but_ contain better detail, plus processing was done with ACR beta, it is likely results will only improve once processor is tuned for the camera.

Also, I try to keep in mind faster lens will let me use lower ISO which will mean better final result in the end.

And each of us uses cameras in different ways for sure but not having an AE lock counts any camera out for me, however it handles focus.
I understand personal preferences, I just wanted to express feeling that "not handling _properly_" is then not appropriate qualification.

These things are very personal though, so I very much hope you enjoy the Oly if you get it!
I agree and I appreciate your wishes. As of now I still don't know whether I will go for it but I sure follow it closely.

tashley

Subscriber Member
From the DPReview conclusion:

'The sensor may be a touch noisier than the one used by Canon, Nikon and Samsung but the slightly brighter lens makes up for some of that difference and it's rare to need to shoot above ISO 800 where that difference starts to become visible.'

That extra 1/3rd of a stop on the lens seems to re-level the playing field - for me the thing that attracted me to it at first was that the faster lens might confer an advantage. Having said all that I quite like the noise of these smaller sensors but then, I'm likely in a minority there!

I would like the fold-out LCD but then, I do like the smaller and more pocketable size of the Canon. I guess we're lucky to have so much choice!

ZoranC

From the DPReview conclusion:

'The sensor may be a touch noisier than the one used by Canon, Nikon and Samsung but the slightly brighter lens makes up for some of that difference and it's rare to need to shoot above ISO 800 where that difference starts to become visible.'
From that same review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusxz1/page6.asp):

"The XZ-1 looks both more detailed and more noisy than its peers at most settings (it's particularly noticeable at ISO 1600). This suggests a lower lever of noise reduction but our concern is this may mean Adobe hasn't yet completed its calibration of the processing. We don't want to draw too many conclusions while using a beta version of Adobe Camera Raw."

It wouldn't be first time that DPR's conclusion contradicted what is in review plus personally I am not a kind of a guy that treats reviews as gospel, I am kind of a guy that prefers to see proof in the pudding for himself, and this was enough for me to feel XZ1 is better:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusxz1/page11.asp

J

JesperMP

My first post here !

edit: I did try out the S90 first. Bit the spinning rear dial was a turn off.
I am a satisfied S95 user. I bought it on the reviews, but was more than pleased with how the handling in use is. The two dials + the Fn button means I dont have to dive into the menus.
The only drawbacks are that the lens is a bit soft in the corners, and that it quickly gets dark if you do any bit of zooming. But that is the compromise to have such a small camera.

@ Terry:
I use the Fn button for manual WB. I usually carry a grey handkerchief with me to quickly get the WB nailed.
I dont use C mode, yet. I use P mode, but sometimes I would like to bracket the shutter speed. If C mode can be used to achieve that then I would actually try to read the manual :)

Helenas 4th picture freaked me out when I first saw it.

Regarding S95 vs XZ-1:
Yes, when the XZ-1 came out and it appears to address my two issues with the S95 lens, I thought that maybe it could have been a better choice. Then again, it is quite a bit bigger than the S95.

Last edited:

Terry

Jesper -
Welcome to the forum!
I'm looking forward to people getting the XZ-1 and posting about it. The fast lens is interesting as you are right the S95 gets quite a bit darker - quickly.

JMaher

Since I just posted these in another thread why not put a copy in the small camera thread - here are two of my over the top processing examples of S90 files. In the right circumstances a great camera and an example of two photos that wouldn't have been taken without this camera, as I didn't and wouldn't have brought my larger stuff with me.

Jim

DHart

Interesting thread.

Tashley... Interesting comments about using small sensor IQ to achieve a more painterly, dreamlike look. Thanks for sharing that. Most, myself included, tend to focus on increased IQ rather than reduced. Obviously, they each have their suitable applications according to preferences.

Helena... I love that night harbor image of yours!

Terry, I understand your quibbles with the LX5 and with the S95. What was your impression of RAW image quality (and subsequent development in post, to optimal result) with the cameras?

Your Miami images, BTW, are outstanding!

Lastly, sorry for all the Q's, what is your impression of the G12?

Elderly

I had forgotten that I still owned this camera until I saw a shot taken from a plane that Jorgen posted with an S95 recently;

and on this occasion I needed a camera that was small and discreet ........ :eek:

Last edited:

Knorp

I had forgotten that I still owned this camera until I saw a shot taken from a plane that Jorgen posted with an S95 recently;

and on this occasion I needed a camera that was small and discrete ........ :eek:

the last meal ... :shocked: