The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica d-lux 3

Otto

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been away for a few days.

ellemand, I really liked the museum shot. The floor really draws you in, and the composition and light looked great to me.

Maggio O, what can I say? The depot shot shows that special look that the 16:9 aspect gives. It looks like I could just climb into it. Plus, I like trains. I will check into Lightzone as an alternative.

mwalker, again the 16:9 aspect has something about it that is the reason I bought the LX2. Perhaps the fact that the sensor is a true 16:9 ratio has something to do with it.

rwfreund, I really love the history in Boston. I was there a couple of times when my Son was living there. That shot reminds me of many of the streets, and pathways, I walked while I was there.

helenhill, what a beautiful house. Again, showing the 16:9 advantage.

TEBnewyork, yes, I have LightRoom, but have had trouble getting it to run very fast. I've had some moderate success with it, it's just so slow on my computer, and I haven't had the funds to upgrade.

Thanks again everyone for showing your photos, and the suggestions. I really like this site. Everyone is so helpful, and friendly, compared to some of the sites I visit.

Good shooting,
Otto...

T

TMGraphics

Do they make those silicone covers for this camera yet? Probably would provide good 'grip' as well.

Terry

Keeping the thread alive :D

The good/bad part about exposure bracketing is that it stays set even when you've turned the camera off and then on again. This was the third shot of a bracket where obviously I forgot it was going to take three exposures :D. Funny I like it best....

View attachment 1157

C

cadmium red

dear TEBnewyork.......you mentioned the black and white conversions in Lightroom as being excellent....I just got a version of lightroom and I'm curious if you are referring to the custom presets in the library under quick develop....like, b&w high contrast and b&w low contrast? Iam really new to black and white conversions as well as photography in general...thanks patrick

Terry

You can use those or in the develop module you can simply click on the grayscale and then work with the different sliders. You can still use the color sliders to tweak the black and white.

Also, I was given a link by another user on the forum and it also has more presets that people have made. Very useful. Here it is:

http://inside-lightroom.com/index.php

C

cadmium red

dear TEBnewyork,,,,thanks I'll check it out,,,by the way I love that subway shot....looks like I'll have to read up on exposure bracketing as well... ciao patrick

Maggie O

Time to bump the thread, I reckon!

Deconstruction of the Palast der Republik, Berlin, 2007

ISO 400, JPEG, 1/100, f/2.8.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi All, I see a few friendly faces here from DPreview and LUF!

I just got my GRII yesterday, rather liked the B&W JPEG I got in the pub last night and some shots I took on the beach yesterday alongside my trusty M8 but I have to say that a brief comparison against my LX2 at ISO 100 seems to imply that the LX2 has a better lens and finer tonality. Can this be? It doesn't seem to be what others are saying... I read Sean's review (great as ever) and though there's no direct LX2 comparison, the implications are that the GRII IQ and glass should be better - or did I get that wrong Sean?

Here's a GRII beach shot I liked:

View attachment 1217

Best to all

Tim

Maggie O

What's IQ?

The D-Lux 3 has an awesome lens. IMO, it blows away every DSLR kit lens I've ever seen photos from.

jonoslack

I just got my GRII yesterday, rather liked the B&W JPEG I got in the pub last night and some shots I took on the beach yesterday alongside my trusty M8 but I have to say that a brief comparison against my LX2 at ISO 100 seems to imply that the LX2 has a better lens and finer tonality. Can this be? It doesn't seem to be what others are saying... I read Sean's review (great as ever) and though there's no direct LX2 comparison, the implications are that the GRII IQ and glass should be better - or did I get that wrong Sean?

View attachment 1217

Tim
Hi Tim
Lovely shot - I was contemplating one of these . . . . or a d-lux3 (lx2) but history relates that I won't use it!

You certainly got better weather than us! I bought this sports car off an old friend a couple of weeks ago, and I've only been able to get the hood down once (and then I nearly got drowned). Nice car though.

How do you feel about the 28mm limitation?

Best to all

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Tim
Lovely shot - I was contemplating one of these . . . . or a d-lux3 (lx2) but history relates that I won't use it!

You certainly got better weather than us! I bought this sports car off an old friend a couple of weeks ago, and I've only been able to get the hood down once (and then I nearly got drowned). Nice car though.

How do you feel about the 28mm limitation?

Best to all
Jono!

Which shady mate sold you that car eh? I bought one off a friend recently too, a sort of part exchange, and got a 28-35-50 tri-elmar into the bargain and a fine lens it is too! I also just got my noctilux back from Solms and at first sight it appears to focus. My spare M8 body is back too. An embarrassment of riches!

My first feeling is that the GR2 is hyped. It has inherited the crown of 'the toy camera that serious photographers use and can be used to make serious work' and in truth it's pretty good but after a small number of side by side shots against the LX2, it's not as good.

I know 'good' covers a multitude of parameters and it is smaller, thinner, lighter and ergonomically nicer than the LX2 but the pictures seem not to be as good at low ISO and it's a toss up even at 400.

But these are early days, no proper, or even semi-scientific tests yet and no doubt time will make me wiser. But if someone said that Ghandi was dancing a Volta on my lawn with Marilyn Monroe right now and I had to grab one or the other, it would be the Pannie.

BUT I do really like just having a fixed lens. That's more and more how I use my M8 - nearly always with the 28 cron or sometimes CV15. Daft really since at the last count I have ten M mount lenses! It's just easier to see the world without having to zoom to with my brain...

Hoping the weather looks up and the hood goes down!

t

jonoslack

Jono!

Which shady mate sold you that car eh? I bought one off a friend recently too, a sort of part exchange, and got a 28-35-50 tri-elmar into the bargain and a fine lens it is too! I also just got my noctilux back from Solms and at first sight it appears to focus. My spare M8 body is back too. An embarrassment of riches!

My first feeling is that the GR2 is hyped. It has inherited the crown of 'the toy camera that serious photographers use and can be used to make serious work' and in truth it's pretty good but after a small number of side by side shots against the LX2, it's not as good.

I know 'good' covers a multitude of parameters and it is smaller, thinner, lighter and ergonomically nicer than the LX2 but the pictures seem not to be as good at low ISO and it's a toss up even at 400.

But these are early days, no proper, or even semi-scientific tests yet and no doubt time will make me wiser. But if someone said that Ghandi was dancing a Volta on my lawn with Marilyn Monroe right now and I had to grab one or the other, it would be the Pannie.

BUT I do really like just having a fixed lens. That's more and more how I use my M8 - nearly always with the 28 cron or sometimes CV15. Daft really since at the last count I have ten M mount lenses! It's just easier to see the world without having to zoom to with my brain...

Hoping the weather looks up and the hood goes down!

t
Thank you for the information - my history of small sensor cameras is lamentable - so maybe I'll hang fire.
I'm taking the car to Basildon tomorrow, and I don't think the sun ever shines there . . . still, a trip to Cornwall is planned for February . . . . come to think of it, I'm not sure the sun ever shines there either!

I have a similar embarrassment of M mount lenses (I got rid of one recently), but, like you, find myself using one at a time (usually the tiny 28mm 2.8).

Off to bed - those Essex guys don't like sleepy chaps.
:angel:

S

Sean_Reid

Best to all

Tim
Hi Tim,

Are you looking at converted RAW files? I haven't compared those two cameras side by side so I can't say for sure. The GR II probably has a higher S/N ratio, and so holds up better at high ISO levels, but they both have excellent lenses. In terms of function, ergonomics, speed, finder-compatability, etc. I prefer the GR 2. But the D-Lux 3 is one of my favorites as well.

Cheers,

Sean