The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GRD I Forum

M

Mark Turney

I thought it might be helpful to start a thread specifically dedicated to those of us not upgrading from the GRD I to II, or those of us with new GRD I's. Also, this may help to not confuse folks looking for information specifically related to the GRD II on the other thread. Please, let me know what you think.

iansky

Mark,

Good idea, there will always be a demand for a GRD only aspect especially now Ricoh have released the new firmware to upgrade some GRD features to GRD2 capability.

I suspect also that quite a few GRD leavers have been encouraged back by the new model, either to reinstate their use of the GRD or to upgrade to the new model either way it appears to have regenerated interest.

I also believe that as this site implies, these cameras (as the likes of Mitch Alland) has proclaimed for a long time are the new "format" in digital cameras - they are very small, inconspicuous in many cases, have good controls and produce very good quality images - their benefits above all encourage and challenge photographers to use them in a slightly different way and the results can be both exciting and challenging, a new genre of an old medium = rejuvination.

Can only be a positive (no pun intended)thing!

Lili

Mark,
Having just got my GRD a couple of months ago, it will be a bit before I even think about the GRD II.
Now the GT-1, I will get as soon as it's available!
Thanks for starting this thread!

M

Mark Turney

Lili,

Did you mean the DP-1 (ie - the Sigma)? BTW - Very nice cat picture. The framing, lighting and overall mood is great!

Take care.

Mark T.

M

Mark Turney

I hope you don't mind Lili; but, I thought the cat would look great in B&W:

Lili

Lili,

Did you mean the DP-1 (ie - the Sigma)? BTW - Very nice cat picture. The framing, lighting and overall mood is great!

Take care.

Mark T.
Mark, thank you so much!
:)
I would love to get a Sigma DP-1 if/when they ever show up!
By GT-1 I was referring to the 40mm adapter for the GRD I/II.
I have the GW-1 already ;)
I wish tho that the DP-1 or perhaps another camera would come out with a model as sturdy as my much loved Konica Hexar AF.
The fixed lens barrell, especially when covered by a B&W KR1.5 MC filter is virtually sealed and dust proof.
Of course such would make a GRD or DP-1 far less pocketable...

As to the B&W coversion of my shot, that looks very good.
I am newbie to PP'ing so just learning the ropes.
Photoshop has a steep learning curve for me!
One thing I adore about the GRD is the ability to control so much in-camera while shooting JPEG's so I got spoiled quite fast :)

Edit;
More info, I have only just now gotten into playing with RAW and that on my Fuji S5200 (a vastly underrated small sensor superzoom, RAW and full manual controls tho nowhere near as superb as those on the GR's). The freeware S7RAW works wonderfuly well with its files and the camera and software have helped whet my appetite for learning this part of the workflow.
I have just now gotten PS CS2 and have started doing this with my GRD.
So I am far behind the rest of you all in this regards, but I am willing to learn!

Last edited:
V

veriwide

Hi all... I just arrived here on this forum and my new/used Gr just arrived last week. Was wondering about this GR thread. Would one not then end up with a huge, long thread ?? Would this not function better as a Sub-Forum in order for it to work well?

Please explain if there is something I am not understanding.

Last edited:

cam

I thought it might be helpful to start a thread specifically dedicated to those of us not upgrading from the GRD I to II, or those of us with new GRD I's.
i had to upgrade much sooner than expected... i will be joining you here, however, when my GRD comes back from service. i love the GRDII, but was madly in love with the original.

M

Melbourne

Now on my 3rd GR D1, gave up on the others as I just couldn't get decent pictures,but.............. I keep coming back to it. I think I should lower my expectations and use it for what it is intended. I will probably stick to B & W
I'm would like to know from more seasoned users, what I should avoid and what I should implement.
My current settings:I use 200 ISO only, set to aperture priority and set the aperture to f3.5. Shoot only raw and set focus to Snap.
Is there anything else I should do ??
With Thanks.

T

tucker

Good idea, there will always be a demand for a GRD only aspect especially now Ricoh have released the new firmware to upgrade some GRD features to GRD2 capability.
Does anyone know where I could find out which GRD features can be upgraded please?

I tried looking at the Ricoh website only to find that both the GRD and GRD II now have 4x optical zooms fitted.

My credit card is trembling for a GRD at the moment and Christmas is fast approaching.

Last edited:
M

Mitch Alland

About ten days ago I got the GRD2 and have been thinking whether I should keep my GRD. In another thread comparing the GRD vs GRD2 and GX100 cameras I wrote that I like the GRD2 at ISO400 and 800 but much prefer the GRD at ISO200 to the GRD2 at this speed. Perhaps I'll keep the GRD to shoot at ISO200. Below is a GRD picture at ISO200 followed by a GRD2 one at the same speed:

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

T

tucker

I tried looking at the Ricoh website only to find that both the GRD and GRD II now have 4x optical zooms fitted.

QUOTE]

Sorry - that should read 4x digital zoom - my typo and lack of product knowledge - still learning about this camera.

M

Mark Turney

FWIW - I don't think you'll find too many folks using digital zoom - I can't think of any experienced photographer who does. You're much better off, IMHO, cropping in the PC where you have better interpolation routines and better overall control of sharpening and other pp. That's not to say don't use it; I shoot jpeg frequently when I 'm shooting for family outings and not for artistic endeavors. But, even if I shoot jpeg only, I still crop in the computer.

Mark T.

T

tucker

Hi Mark - Thanks for your response. I was surprised to find it even had a digital zoom feature considering its target market.

It's not a feature I would plan to use unless there were exceptional circumstances. A crop in the PC is the way I work at present.

The more I read about this cameras ability and the results I see from loyal, enthusiastic followers the more I think it is the one for me.

I don't mind working hard to get the best out of a camera and I am not looking for the simplicity of a standard point and shoot type.

I was disappointed to find at this price level that the battery charger is not included as standard and is an optional extra. Most odd.

I still may bite the bullet and buy before Christmas if I can't wait for the January sales that is. Kind regards Tucker

T

tucker

Thanks for the link Mitch - my local photo shop had told me it was an optional extra. Much appreciated. You should be the dealer - you have more knowledge and experience. I'd rather buy from you than him. :) Tucker

M

Mitch Alland

I bought mine in Paris about ten days ago: the dealer was very helpful and knowledgeable. Another denizen of this forum, Cam, directed me to him. A small shop, he ordered as far as I know the most GRD2's in France because he is an enthusiast and knows he can sell the cameras. I'll put his coordinates down here for anyone interest in Paris — and I should say that I have no connection to him:

His name is Marcel

L'INSTANTANE
40, Bd Beaumarchais
75011 PARIS

Métro Chemin Vert
Téléphone : +33 (0) 1.43.55.02.32

The shop is a few doors away from La Maison du Leica.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

cam

Marcel was the first dealer in France to receive a shipment of the GRDIIs and also has got the last of the original GRDs for sale. he will also be the first to get in the 40mm adaptor.

i have no connection with him either. it was simply the only shop in Paris i could find that stocked *all* the Ricohs so i could play and test and compare. he is lovely to work with and way more knowledgeable than most because of his love (and personal use) of the brand.