Site Sponsors
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Ricoh GX100

wbrandsma

Re: Ricoh GX100

Despite the press release of the GX200 the GX100 remains an excellent camera in my opinion.

Ricoh GX100, f4.6, 1/1150 sec, ISO 80, +0.3 EV

Ricoh GX100, f4.8, 1/850 sec, ISO 80, -1.0 EV

wbrandsma

Oh no, not again! Last night I spotted a dust particle again in the lens of my GX100. The third time within a year And Ricoh already replaced the lens assembly twice!

I really hope they have improved the GX200.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouter I don't think it is a speck of dust, I think it's a spark of genius. That picture if the digitalis is pure genius!

wbrandsma

Hi Will,
    Thank you on the remarks on the photograph of the Digitalis. Unfortunately it is really true about the dust.

Post Thanks / Like

hi,i m new here, just bought a 2nd set GX100 n capture some landscape with it, like to share with all of u.

Post Thanks / Like

Really like them sunboon. Especially the clouds and the old pipes coming out of the water. Excellent B&W.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Really like them sunboon. Especially the clouds and the old pipes coming out of the water. Excellent B&W.
    thanks

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,
    I thought I would revive this thread as it has slipped too far down the pop charts for my liking!
    I took my GX100 out for another walk recently, fitted for the first time with a 19mm. lens.
    The decisive moment occurred as I was crossing a railway bridge just before an old steam train was due. I shot on continuous mode and got 44 shots from the time the last carriage passed under the far distant bridge to the time it passed beneath me. (Each shot 1/133 sec. @ f4.6.) It all made an interesting little slide show, tho' in retrospect I should have had the sound mode on for the hoot of whistle and hiss of steam.
    For your delectation I have nostalgicised! the most relevant shot in iPhoto with the sepia and blurred edges of yesteryear. Poetry in motion!
    C & C always welcome.
    Gandolfi.
    Last edited by gandolfi; 5th February 2009 at 08:51.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,
    A couple of days ago I went back in time and photographed a venerable old steam train. Tonight I came back up to date and visited outer space.
    Here is a 3 minute exposure of the International Space Station passing over Bath, U.K. at 00.40 hrs. BST July 21st.
    Taken with the increasingly wonderful GX100 with 19mm. lens!
    Gandolfi.

Post Thanks / Like

Gandolfi, what an amazingly different subject! I often satellite watch with my children but I have never thought of photographing them. It worked really well. Some beautiful deep blues in there and I love the splash of colour the tree makes.

Post Thanks / Like

Some lovely pictures Gandolfi . I was going to ask what loco it was but I saw the number 60019 . The Bittern, Gresley A4. I once had a TT guage Mallard.

How did you get round the hot pixels on your GX100 (if you have any), Dark Frame?

b rgds

paul
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Gandolfi, what an amazingly different subject! I often satellite watch with my children but I have never thought of photographing them. It worked really well. Some beautiful deep blues in there and I love the splash of colour the tree makes.
    Will, Thanks for your comments. Yes those midnight blues were wonderful-when you consider it all came out of a package smaller than a Box Brownie with the aid of some meagre manipulation in iPhoto ( I do however think there is a 'fairy-dust' filter in the GX100 which activates only at stellar moments such as this!). Some of the lighter star streaks must be stars of magnitudes 5 & 6, which is verging on the faint.
    I did get mildly excited by the pale blue blob ( looks a bit like a smilie ) about 1/3 up from the bottom and 1/4 of the way in from left hand side which is vaguely in the location of M32 in Andromeda- in which case this would possibly have been the first photograph of an elliptical galaxy ever taken with a small sensor camera!!- but I decided I was fantasizing!!
    You can get the here and now position of the I.S.S. from here-http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7321116.stm#map
    and great astronomy pics and great archive at-http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
    Cheers,
    Gandolfi.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul-Cheers. Fine bit of sleuthing for the Bittern-you old anorak! I had the obligatory Hornby Dublo train set. Much fun it was too.
    As for the hot pixels, well I'm afraid there weren't any. And I had never heard of 'Dark Frame', but I found an explanation on Wikipedia-you have to take a pic in the dark and then subtract that from the photo you are working with- I shall have to investigate further in due course.
    Happy pixel popping.
    Gandolfi.

Post Thanks / Like

Gandolfi,
    Yes ex Model Railway Club member, when a kid. Mine was a Bec Models
    whitemetal Kit .
    Last evening the Cactus flowered on my balcony- so I used yhe GX100 hand held and with internal flash on soft. RAW PP with RawTherapee:-

Iwas really surprised and pleased with the results.
    Dark Frame-with UFraw its easy to do and freeware.

All the best

paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful.......
    Love it
    best-h

Kiri

Recently I have been playing with my new Olympus dSLR a lot, but I still take my GX100 with me when I need to stay light. Like at the recent Tenjin festival here in Osaka:

Full size and other images at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/memoki/

Post Thanks / Like

Great pic Kiri , Love How the children are sharp. Her little bag is very cute.
    So many things to see in this picture!

Kiri

Quote Originally Posted by pollobarca View Post
    Great pic Kiri , Love How the children are sharp. Her little bag is very cute.
    So many things to see in this picture!
    Thanks pollo
    I'm pretty sure it is a "he" actually, but yeah, the little bag is very cute
    It is a famous Japanese tv character "anpan man" who feeds people by taking bits of bread from its own head and giving it to them.

pagapags

hello all
    here is an infrared shot whith B+W 092 filter of a caribean tree called "fromager" here in Guadeloupe (Silk cotton tree).

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pollobarca View Post
    Gandolfi,
    Yes ex Model Railway Club member, when a kid. Mine was a Bec Models
    whitemetal Kit .
    Last evening the Cactus flowered on my balcony- so I used yhe GX100 hand held and with internal flash on soft. RAW PP with RawTherapee:-

Iwas really surprised and pleased with the results.
    Dark Frame-with UFraw its easy to do and freeware.

All the best

paul
    Paul,
    Great cactus pics. You have a hot micro-climate on your balcony!
    What a great little camera, isn't it.
    Ta for Dark Frame info.
    Gandolfi.

Post Thanks / Like

This camera is absolutely awesome!! My LX2 is sulking as I write this lines...

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,
    Another night time pic. shot with the "absolutely awesome" GX100.
    This is the constellation Ursa Major over Bath, U.K., taken 1 hour 50 minutes after sunset!
    Gandolfi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gandolfi,

You've inspired me to pick up my GX100 again. Great shots. Thanks.

Keep them coming.

Jeff

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, many thanks for your comments-I hope you are enjoying getting re-acquainted with your GX100. As many people have said on this thread, it is a great little camera.
    Gandolfi.

Post Thanks / Like

HDR try with a single shot ,run through Silky pix to produce 3 pictures with ev-1, 0 , +1 .Used Dynamic photo HDR limited trial version...

Original camera JPEG here:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/2728717110/

b rgds

paul

Post Thanks / Like

This camera is absolutely awesome!! My LX2 is sulking as I write this lines...
    Nice shot!

The HDR shot at the airport looks great, too. Very natural, unlike much of the HDR work out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Nice shot!

The HDR shot at the airport looks great, too. Very natural, unlike much of the HDR work out there.
    I think that HDR should look natural - far too much is simply cooked.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I only wanted to see the clouds , as I remembered seeing them, clearly without making the rest of the picture dark. I made 2 tries comparing them to the JPG image. I think the JPG has got the red reflective squares on the tractor right . I'm sure that with more practice I can get the colours looking better in HDR too.

thnks n rgds

paul

Post Thanks / Like

Four second exposure in plain daylight achieved with the aid of ND filters..

wbrandsma

This is a great thread, but I don't have a Ricoh GX100 anymore. Last week Ricoh replaced my camera for a Ricoh GX200, after I had another dust particle in the lens (third time).

Post Thanks / Like

Wouter , All,
    can we rename the thread GX100/GX200. I look forward to seeing Wouters
    GX200 pix. BTW was that an offer by Ricoh to upgrade your camera? They should do anyway with all the cameras you've helped sell! Great Pictures .
    I see your first GX200 one, Wouter, on Flickr too

b rgds

paul

wbrandsma

Thank you Paul! Such great service by Ricoh. Their service team reguested their headquarter to replace the camera. I was just so suprised and pleased that they sent me the GX200.

Excellent idea by the way for suggesting renaming this thread into GX100/200.

Cheers,

flagger

Smile Re: Ricoh GX100

Yet another GX100 pic.. this time my first online post here. 180secs to capture the moment and my, does nature choose her moment...
    Start of a storm over Monroe, WA USA 5am

Regards to all, esp the usual suspects

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing shot flagger.

Post Thanks / Like

add some pic

Post Thanks / Like

pic add.

virge

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    This is a great thread, but I don't have a Ricoh GX100 anymore. Last week Ricoh replaced my camera for a Ricoh GX200, after I had another dust particle in the lens (third time).

I just wondered how common the dust problem is. I'm awaiting delivery on a GX100 after reading so many good reviews and seeing those superb images. UUnfortunalely, I didn't peruse the forums, and have since discovered a few of you who have experienced these dust issues.

I really wanted the EVF and that was a big motivator in getting the 100, as it was US$175 less than the 200 without EVF. I have the option to return at this point, no harm no foul. I would like to determine if this is isolated, or a common flaw.
    Any feedback iis much appreciated.

wbrandsma

Welcome virge,
    There are no accurate numbers. I have had some issues with dust, but I know severable users who never have had any problems.

I spoke with a Ricoh representative at photokina and he said that the HA-2 adapter and an UV filter is the best option to protect your camera.

And dust is not only a Ricoh problem. Canon has had its share of dust problems too with their Powershot G-cameras. And best of all, there is an example of the new G10 on the Japanese Canon website that shows a dust spot. There is a dustspot near the chimneys on the building on top of the hill, see here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There was a discussion here a few months back about dust and small sensor cameras. My wife has an oldish Canon Ixus 400 which has a major spot in the 'sky' area - I have been totally unable to shift it. And of course, the cost of servicing would buy several new cameras. Disappointing to see the dust spot in the new G series picture.

I don't know if Ricoh are any better or worse than other manufacturers; I have the feeling that it is the retractible lens mechanism that sucks dust in, and as most small cameras have this, it's likely to be common enough across the board. [And perhaps similarly, for DSLRs with extending/retracting zooms].
    Sláinte

Robert.

virge

Re: Ricoh GX100 dust issues

I appreciate the feedback. I actually returned the GX 100 not due to dust, but a hot pixel issue. I am planning to try a GX200 and get the lens adapter and hood.