Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricoh GX100

wbrandsma

Re: Ricoh GX100

If you edit a raw file from Lightroom in Lightzone with the Edit in Lightzone command, your raw file will first be saved as a Tiff (16 bits). In that case the file can extend 100Mb. But if you drag the thumbnail of the raw file to the Lightzone desktop shortcut, Lightzone will open the raw file instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Sean, for your response to my asking for the GRD1 to be included in your forthcoming review. In the forgettable words of Henry Fonda in an even more forgettable cowboy buddy film, "Anything you say will just tickle me plumb to death!"

Thanks, too, Guy, for the link re posting images. I'd known it was there but it was too late at night to search and figure out. Thanks, too, for your generous posting policies.

SO, last October I had the use of a GX-100 for a while and has a great time with it in San Francisco. Here's one to add to the forum's "taken from the car" collection. (When doing PP on the RAW, by the way, I do to intend tighten up the composition just a little bit on the sides and along the bottom.)

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my second image posted (though it may appear before the other.) It's of an Eastern Orthodox Christian priest, taken with a GX-100, in an airplane, no PP yet, but it did prompt a small poem. (One of my goals is to be able to integrate verbal and visual elements in some of my final prints.) Here's the haiku:

Even in sleep
    the light can find
    a caring ear
    and listening heart

Chris

New year, new pictures... ;-)
    Happy new year and I hope you have a lot of fun with your GX100s in 2008!

Best regards,
    Chris
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like

Some recent shots

-Shawn

wbrandsma

Lets hope for another inspiring GX100 photography year.

Larky

Hello everyone, nice to see a GX-100 thread. I've come from the Rangefinder Forums, although I love film and RF's, the GX-100 with the EVF is like my digital RF!

Anyway, this is a great thread, I am about to purchase LightZone, never heard of it before.

A.

rsgl

I welcome any critique of these GX-100 shots. They were worked on in Lightroom. They are all available light, hand held, using the 24 mm. equivalent focal length.

Rob

wbrandsma

The portrait is beautiful and top! The rimples and skintexture works so well in B&W. And the incar shot is by far one of the best I have seen here (it is great to see an American in an European car ).

Larky

Some stunning pictures here, making me want to go out and shoot instead of work. Anyhoo, I was wonderng what cards people are using with the GX-100? I have the Extreme III 4GB, and RAW takes about 8 seconds to save. I see two RAW formats, wondering which people are using?

wbrandsma

Welcome Larky. I use the Sandisk Extreme III 2GB. RAW write times are around 5 seconds. Check this thread on the Ricohforum for more cards and their writing times.
    http://ricohforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Those Sandisk eXtreme III cards are great- I've got a 4GB one in my D-Lux 3 and it cut RAW write time down to 3.5 Seconds.

Larky

Thanks for the link, I've tried various things, I guess I have an asleep extreme III card!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually shoot at ISO 80 but here is one at ISO 800
    Bringthanoize
    heh

-Shawn

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsgl View Post
    I welcome any critique of these GX-100 shots. They were worked on in Lightroom. They are all available light, hand held, using the 24 mm. equivalent focal length.

Rob
    Rob,
    I ADORE that portrait. The light, the pose, all of it. I would not have thought a portrait done up close with 24mm EFV would be so flattering.
    Very, very, well done!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Rob,
    I ADORE that portrait. The light, the pose, all of it. I would not have thought a portrait done up close with 24mm EFV would be so flattering.
    Very, very, well done!!!
    I once saw a demonstration where a photo taken with a very wide angle was viewed from very close up: the perspective was unremarkable. Here, we are viewing a monitor close up - try looking from the other side of the room.

Bertie

wbrandsma

The Ricoh GX100 is not the most obvious camera for sport events, but I had great fun with it as spectator of the World Sprint Speed Skating Championships.

Last edited by wbrandsma; 21st January 2008 at 12:40.

gregg

I'm newly registered to the forum (as of a few minutes ago) and a new GX100 user as well. Got mine from Popflash last week and really love it. All the discussion in the small sensor threads really helped me to make up my mind - the GX100 fits me best.

24mm is the bomb. I have a Kingston 8mb "class 6" SDHC card and am getting RAW write times of around 5-6 seconds.

Here is B&W jpg straight out of the camera - just great.

I do photo documentary work on occasion and can see the GX100 replacing my Leica M6 for quiet/tight situations (don't tell anyone at that other forum...)

I reached the end of my love affair with B&W film after two recent disappointing trips where film was x-rayed and/or had light leaks in the canisters. 50 rolls, weeks of scanning, and a very low percentage of usable images. Glad I was shooting digital as well!

The GX100 coupled with my Nikon D200 will be great for my needs.

wbrandsma

Welcome Gregg. Lovely capture of Gus. The photos I posted where B&W jpgs as well although I worked in RAW. Only some additional sharpening, nothing else.
    I think the GX100 is perfectly suitable for documentary style of photography. Especially when you use it in step zoom mode.

gregg

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    I think the GX100 is perfectly suitable for documentary style of photography. Especially when you use it in step zoom mode.
    Thanks for the kind comments. The first setting I discovered was step zoom - just wonderful.

I'm really looking forward to the potential of the GX100. There are so many great options and I wish there were a MY1-10 dial for all the combinations I want!

I've settled on the following MY* settings:

MY1 : RAW (4:3), Program Mode, Auto ISO/800 max, Exp -0.3EV, Auto WB, Stepped zoom, Multi AF Focus, Focal length 24mm

MY2 : RAW (4:3), Program Mode, Auto ISO/800 max, Exp -0.3EV, Auto WB, Stepped zoom, Manual Focus @ 1 meter, Focal length 24mm

MY3 would be MY1 at 35mm (Ok, so it is only two up-ticks of the zoom)
    MY4 would be MY2 at 35mm (ditto...)

I've also set the color mode to B&W so I get an instant B&W JPG - I see the RAW file retains the color.

The P&S I was carrying was a Canon A640 which is a great camera in its own right: step zoom, fast focus, decent lens, etc. But its not on the level of customization and speed that I've already experienced with the GX100.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm just about to roll over 4,000 photos since I got the GX100 3 or 4 months ago
    No problems so far and I have it with me everyday so it gets banged around a bit
    I'm really happy with it
    Here's some shots from the last week or so

-Shawn

meilicke

Out for a walk.

Chris

I write this post as an answer to a question Wouter asked me at Flickr. I write my answer at this forum because I would be very interested in a discussion about the RAW/JPG topic with other GX100 users.

I have the camera since October and I almost always worked with the RAW file. But lately, I started to work more and more with the JPG-files. I have noticed that the changes I usually make are possible quite well with the JPGs. These changes are: darken the shades and sometimes lighten the mid-tones and a preset feature of the program I use (Fixfoto) for sharpening and other little corrections. I am sure that if I knew more about RAW pp, I would prefer it. But for my skills, the difference between the RAW pp and the JPG pp is not too big.

The only exceptions are if I want another b/w conversion when the faces are too dark in comparison to other parts of the photo or if I finally prefer a colour version. I also am glad to have a RAW file in order to correct the exposure (mostly for nightshots of moving subjects).

The picture is based on the JPG version...

Last edited by Chris; 6th February 2008 at 07:31.

wbrandsma

Thank you Chris for responding on my Flickr question. I also really start to like the B&W jpegs from the camera. For landscape I still prefer the RAW files, but otherwise with just some contrast adjustments I often keep the B&W jpeg.

Chris

That picture is incredible, Wouter! Great!

scanman

Cool photos! Din know the GX100 is capable such film liked B&W.

Quiet Terminal

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely work!
    I'm even more tempted to get a GX-100, much as I love my GRD

wbrandsma

The terminal photo is gorgeous. Beautiful light and reflections. Come on Lili, get yourself the GX100 or do we have to tease you more?

Larger versions of these photos can be viewed on my flickrstream.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work, Wouters
    My only hesitation with the GX-100 is that I might allow my GRD to languish.
    Which would be a shame

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Magnifique Wouter
    Just beautiful..... You are the GX100 KING
    Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots everyone! Keep em coming

Here's some new ones-

Do you see the cat?
    I showed this to someone and they said it looks like an aerial photo (it's a closeup of a stone in a series of stones all with a hole drilled in em)
    Maybe it's just me but all I can see is a cat
    heh

I found a ND filter that fits the HA-2 adapter (43mm) and got to play with that yesterday

-Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

I've also been playing with my monopod

(hey now....I heard that snicker...heh)

For this one I attached the GX100 to a monopod and extended it about 10 feet up in the air to get a different perspective, easy with such a light camera

-Shawn

wbrandsma

Gorgeous work Shawn. The first and second photo are really good. Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I finally felt well enough today to get out and give the GX-100 (that I bought here from Clay Stewart) a try. There were only cloudy skies and tornado warnings and the rain finally came pouring down and ended my session.

It is really a fun camera to use. I am used to the rangefinder focus and handling, so I have a lot to learn about shooting (and processing) these files. I've not had a point and shoot camera for about 7 years and they have really improved since then. Here are a couple of my first tries. I used C1 and JFI profiles to process them.

wbrandsma

Hi Cindy. I really like the first one of your last post. All the textures work so good in B&W.
    This image (RAW) was edited with Lightzone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wouter,
    Very dramatic! I like this one.

I haven't tried Lightzone. I'm going to stick with Lightroom and C1 (and CS2) for now.

I'm just trying to get used to using a P&S. I read the manual, but it took a day of shooting to figure it all out. Now I have the GX-100 all set to work well for me. It is quite different than shooting a rangefinder or dslr.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cindy. I really like the first one of your last post. All the textures work so good in B&W.

I added that image to my Fickr favorites, Wouter, splendid!

wbrandsma

Thank you Lili.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Another fantastic run of photos!

So, the Ricohs produce .DNGs that C1 can read? Aw man, y'all are killin' me here!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post

So, the Ricohs produce .DNGs that C1 can read? Aw man, y'all are killin' me here!
    And Aperture can read them too . . . . .
    but are they as good as the D-lux3 files . . . . Maggie, I don't think so.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post

The JFI profiles that you use on the M8 work for the GX-100 DNG files....it would be seamless!

Post Thanks / Like

These are all really impressive images. It makes me want to get my GX100 back and use it again. I lent it to a friend who wanted to try one out before they decided which camera to get as a companion to their DSLR.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Lili.

Wouter, I love that image too

Post Thanks / Like

I know nothing about these cameras, but am liking what I am seeing, for sure. Can someone explain the "Step zoom" function? Or is this simply a four-position zoom on the GX-100?

I can't wait for Sean to finish his reviews of these cameras; I am trying to decide between one of them and the Panasonic LX2. Cheers, kl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Kit,
    The step zoom is just 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 72mm.
    Sean has a full review of the GX-100 at his site. I bought mine to complement my M8, MP, 400D kit. I was looking for a small camera to carry with me all the time. I thought the functionality of the zoom was more important to me than the possible superior lens of the GR2, which is a fixed 28. Adapters can be used on the GR2 to acheive 21mm and 40mm, but at the price of small size.
    BTW, I'm not finding the lens of the GX-100 wanting. It suits my purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

the zoom option is there for me, but i rarely go beyond 24. most of the time i keep forgetting that i have the option to zoom. instead, i'd habitually either move come closer or move further away from the subject to frame. it's one of my favorite cameras. very capable too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello all,

I just joined the Ricoh Gx100 family!!!!! Better late than never.
    Posted these in another thread with the exception of the last one. There will be more to come The last one is called Paranormal

wbrandsma

Welcome aboard JDavila. #1 and #2 are very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really nice, Wouter. #2 is my favorite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the warm welcomes. To be honest with you It was your photos that inspired me to purchase the GX100, so thank you.

Do you carry a tripod every where you go? If so, any suggestions on a good light weight one? and where is the last pic located that there are so many bikes? Great shots.