The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

srw

Before I bought the GX100 I looked at the GRD and have been following the news on the GRD II but having the zoom really comes in handy sometimes.
I think it's worth the compromise in quality (if there is one).

I still shoot mostly at 24mm but it's nice to have the option to zoom in

Like this-

Or this-

srw

Excellent work srw. Good B&W images. I have my GX100 since June and it worked fine for me. Had some problems also. Only once the lens got stuck, but taking the battery out and in again did the trick. I also had darkspots on photos halfway August during my holiday. After my holiday I contacted Ricoh customerservice and the camera was sent to them. Within 3 weeks had my camera again and the replaced an lens assy. No problems since then.
I'm looking forward to your findings Sean. I was already excited to have a raw speed of 6 seconds with the GX100 (Sandisk Extreme III).

Thanks Wouter and Mitch

I picked up an Extreme III recently and wow big difference, cut the write time in half compared to an older Ultra II

S

Sean_Reid

I must have a dud copy of the Extreme III. I'll need to try again.

Cheers,

Sean

Maggie O

Thanks Wouter and Mitch

I picked up an Extreme III recently and wow big difference, cut the write time in half compared to an older Ultra II
I just put an eXtreme III in my D-Lux 3 and it cut RAW write times down to around three seconds. RAW is actually usable now.

A

asabet

Using a 2GB Ultra II SD card, I get 6.1s for the GX100, compared with 4.4 seconds on a D-LUX2. I'm fine with waiting 6.1s.

S

Sean_Reid

If anyone is interested, a good way to test the shot to shot time in RAW is to photograph an on-line stopwatch.

Cheers,

Sean

B

Bizy

Hi everyone. If you can keep this forum going with loads of pics and less bitching, it'll be a treat.

Here's a shot from yesterday: GX100 - ISO 80 with noise added.

The fountain of Geneva.....

B

Bizy

Thanks Amin

Its really the people on the DP Review Ricoh forum that tempted me to get a small sensor camera. So I'm only just beginning to discover what can be done with them.

The pictures posted here by Mitch, SRW, Ellemand (D-Lux-2) and many others are a true inspiration; some great images are being created with relatively modest equipment (price-wise) and proving the cliche - It isn't the camera, but the person operating it that matters.

Bizy

W

wbrandsma

You've clearly got it Bizy with that beautiful fountain image. Fantastic contrast between the fountain and the dark clouds.

B

Bob Yanal

I keep getting blown away by various posts in BW - especially Wouter's.

Here's one in color:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16445975@N05/2104118130/

Full disclosure. I'm trying to work on an article on the pluses and minuses of BW photography. Or to put it another way, what are the aesthetics of BW and color photography.

Most of the posts to this thread have been BW.

I'd be interested to hear your contrasts. And, please don't say: it's up to your taste. If you don't think there are pluses and minuses about BW photography - if you think it's merely a matter of taste - well, sign on, say hello, and ...

P

Punchman

Re: Ricoh GX100 - Newbie Intro

Hi Everyone. I'm new, just joined the other day after following Mitch over here from Ricoh Talk forum. Love this new forum here!

My Intro: life long photography devotee - 4 decades using film cameras in all formats from Minox up to 4x5. Almost exclusively B&W in 35mm and later Medium Format (Rollei TLR's & Mamiya 7). Went digital in 2002.

Discovered the Ricoh phenomenon at that other site and was hooked looking at Mitch and other's work. Thanks Mitch! Bought my GX100 in early September for the 24mm & IS. Always loved candid informal available light in B&W. The GX100 has brought me back to my early years with nothing but a Nikkormat FTN and Tri-X or Plus-X. No time for flash. Lot's of fun!

Just finding my way back into available light b&w, different sharpening and sometimes noise reduction. Put two images in the gallery and I'll try to link them in this message. I tried using Mitch's sharpening technique (20,50,0) in the Hibachi Restaurant photo.

Thanks to everyone for this cyber place!

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/7/4/HibachiR13288_mk.jpg
http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/7/4/FriendsR13263_mk1.jpg

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

I keep getting blown away by various posts in BW - especially Wouter's.

Here's one in color:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16445975@N05/2104118130/

Full disclosure. I'm trying to work on an article on the pluses and minuses of BW photography. Or to put it another way, what are the aesthetics of BW and color photography.

Most of the posts to this thread have been BW.

I'd be interested to hear your contrasts. And, please don't say: it's up to your taste. If you don't think there are pluses and minuses about BW photography - if you think it's merely a matter of taste - well, sign on, say hello, and ...
It is not a matter of right or wrong. I prefer B&W because I can focus more on the subject I try to capture. Often when people look at color images they will make remarks about the colors instead of the subject. I think B&W images work better when there is a quite large dynamic lightrange and when there are patterns, shapes and textures you want to capture.
Have you wandered yourself why keep blown away by B&W images? I think you have raised an interesting question that could hold an entire thread. So maybe it is better you start a new thread about this topic in the Image Processing Forum.

4season

I need more practice before I'll be happy with my digital b&w, so for now, here's a fairly straight shot that I took yesterday:

W

wbrandsma

Excellent image 4season.
In the exif data is saw you set the camera to +0,3 EV. Overexposuring would be a normal thing to do in these circumstances, but most digital consumercameras already overexpose slightly to keep shadowdetail. In this case you probably could have keep it at 0 EV. That way there would be even more detail in the snow and the sky would be a little bit darker. Keep on posting more images :thumbs:

4season

Thanks for the kind words, Wouter!

I think I'd like for the snow to actually be a little brighter, but with greater local contrast to emphasize the crystalline texture and worry that if I make it much darker it will simply look leaden? I will experiment with LightZone in the near future.

Jeff

cam

woo hoo, Wouter! i love when i get to see your pictures big! you still make me sigh over your tones on every picture.

W

wbrandsma

I think I'd like for the snow to actually be a little brighter, but with greater local contrast to emphasize the crystalline texture and worry that if I make it much darker it will simply look leaden? I will experiment with LightZone in the near future.
With a Zonemapper in Lightzone you can darken the little shadows on the snowsurface while the lighter snowparts remains untouched. Shooting raw helps here as well.

Cam, I can publish 1024 px width at max on flickr (no pro account :().