The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

Maggie O

Those Sandisk eXtreme III cards are great- I've got a 4GB one in my D-Lux 3 and it cut RAW write time down to 3.5 Seconds.

L

Larky

Thanks for the link, I've tried various things, I guess I have an asleep extreme III card! :)

Lili

I welcome any critique of these GX-100 shots. They were worked on in Lightroom. They are all available light, hand held, using the 24 mm. equivalent focal length.

Rob
Rob,
I ADORE that portrait. The light, the pose, all of it. I would not have thought a portrait done up close with 24mm EFV would be so flattering.
Very, very, well done!!!

Robert Campbell

Rob,
I ADORE that portrait. The light, the pose, all of it. I would not have thought a portrait done up close with 24mm EFV would be so flattering.
Very, very, well done!!!
I once saw a demonstration where a photo taken with a very wide angle was viewed from very close up: the perspective was unremarkable. Here, we are viewing a monitor close up - try looking from the other side of the room.

Bertie

W

wbrandsma

The Ricoh GX100 is not the most obvious camera for sport events, but I had great fun with it as spectator of the World Sprint Speed Skating Championships.

Last edited:
G

gregg

I'm newly registered to the forum (as of a few minutes ago) and a new GX100 user as well. Got mine from Popflash last week and really love it. All the discussion in the small sensor threads really helped me to make up my mind - the GX100 fits me best.

24mm is the bomb. I have a Kingston 8mb "class 6" SDHC card and am getting RAW write times of around 5-6 seconds.

Here is B&W jpg straight out of the camera - just great.

I do photo documentary work on occasion and can see the GX100 replacing my Leica M6 for quiet/tight situations (don't tell anyone at that other forum...)

I reached the end of my love affair with B&W film after two recent disappointing trips where film was x-rayed and/or had light leaks in the canisters. 50 rolls, weeks of scanning, and a very low percentage of usable images. Glad I was shooting digital as well!

The GX100 coupled with my Nikon D200 will be great for my needs.

W

wbrandsma

Welcome Gregg. Lovely capture of Gus. The photos I posted where B&W jpgs as well although I worked in RAW. Only some additional sharpening, nothing else.
I think the GX100 is perfectly suitable for documentary style of photography. Especially when you use it in step zoom mode.

G

gregg

I think the GX100 is perfectly suitable for documentary style of photography. Especially when you use it in step zoom mode.
Thanks for the kind comments. The first setting I discovered was step zoom - just wonderful.

I'm really looking forward to the potential of the GX100. There are so many great options and I wish there were a MY1-10 dial for all the combinations I want!

I've settled on the following MY* settings:

MY1 : RAW (4:3), Program Mode, Auto ISO/800 max, Exp -0.3EV, Auto WB, Stepped zoom, Multi AF Focus, Focal length 24mm

MY2 : RAW (4:3), Program Mode, Auto ISO/800 max, Exp -0.3EV, Auto WB, Stepped zoom, Manual Focus @ 1 meter, Focal length 24mm

MY3 would be MY1 at 35mm (Ok, so it is only two up-ticks of the zoom)
MY4 would be MY2 at 35mm (ditto...)

I've also set the color mode to B&W so I get an instant B&W JPG - I see the RAW file retains the color.

The P&S I was carrying was a Canon A640 which is a great camera in its own right: step zoom, fast focus, decent lens, etc. But its not on the level of customization and speed that I've already experienced with the GX100.

srw

Well, I'm just about to roll over 4,000 photos since I got the GX100 3 or 4 months ago
No problems so far and I have it with me everyday so it gets banged around a bit
I'm really happy with it
Here's some shots from the last week or so

C

Chris

I write this post as an answer to a question Wouter asked me at Flickr. I write my answer at this forum because I would be very interested in a discussion about the RAW/JPG topic with other GX100 users.

I have the camera since October and I almost always worked with the RAW file. But lately, I started to work more and more with the JPG-files. I have noticed that the changes I usually make are possible quite well with the JPGs. These changes are: darken the shades and sometimes lighten the mid-tones and a preset feature of the program I use (Fixfoto) for sharpening and other little corrections. I am sure that if I knew more about RAW pp, I would prefer it. But for my skills, the difference between the RAW pp and the JPG pp is not too big.

The only exceptions are if I want another b/w conversion when the faces are too dark in comparison to other parts of the photo or if I finally prefer a colour version. I also am glad to have a RAW file in order to correct the exposure (mostly for nightshots of moving subjects).

The picture is based on the JPG version...

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

Thank you Chris for responding on my Flickr question. I also really start to like the B&W jpegs from the camera. For landscape I still prefer the RAW files, but otherwise with just some contrast adjustments I often keep the B&W jpeg.

S

scanman

Cool photos! Din know the GX100 is capable such film liked B&W.

Quiet Terminal

W

wbrandsma

The terminal photo is gorgeous. Beautiful light and reflections. Come on Lili, get yourself the GX100 or do we have to tease you more?

Larger versions of these photos can be viewed on my flickrstream.

Lili

Beautiful work, Wouters :)
My only hesitation with the GX-100 is that I might allow my GRD to languish.
Which would be a shame :(