Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricoh GX100

dickinsonjon

Re: Ricoh GX100

That's a fine photo there Wouter. I may have missed it in reading the forum somewhere, but what's your preference for jpeg in camera vs. RAW, and how do you choose to do your B&W conversions?

Cheers
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

Wouter,

That last photo is especially fine. The dramatic sky is a terrific counterbalance to the rest of the image.

It's one of the best arguments I've seen that small sensor Ricoh cameras can successfully compete with a DSLR in terms of b&w dynamic range

dickinsonjon

It's a cracker, isn't it? Hence my question!

wbrandsma

Thank you JD and David. Regarding my B&W photos I use the RAW files for the B&W conversion. There is some extended dynamic range and you can recover highlights much better. I used Lightzone before, but returned to Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CS3.
    I do my conversion in Lightroom. And use Photoshop for selective tonal adjustments with the curves adjustments.

dickinsonjon

There's obviously a lot of data to play with shooting RAW. Did you find Lightzone lacking in the B&W conversion area, or did you move for other reasons? I'd be interested to know, as I haven't invested in any of these tools yet.

Thanks
    JD

wbrandsma

Lightzone is a very good tool for B&W conversion and I love the ease of use of the selection tool. I didn't like the colourresults though and it is rather slow. Besides that I have some doubts about the continuity of this application.
    Photoshop is a power house. It offers so much. It is the number one tool for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also found Lightzone to be painfully slow.

I realized that you find a bridge and pause for 5 minutes couples will stop and smooch. They didn't even notice I was there, plus it helps that the GX100 is so discrete. It's as if they posed for the shot.

JD

wbrandsma

Very beautiful photo. I love the composition and scenery .

By the way, I wrote an impression of the GX100 for seriouscompacts.com.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also found Lightzone to be painfully slow.

I realized that you find a bridge and pause for 5 minutes couples will stop and smooch. They didn't even notice I was there, plus it helps that the GX100 is so discrete. It's as if they posed for the shot.JD
    Beautiful...... Central Park amidst kisses......On the Bridge of Love

and since i"m a newbie re: PP .
    I literally just downloaded a trial of LightRoom / seems easy with abit of tinkering.
    In lightroom is their a tool to finesse specific areas ?
    Thanks for your help out there.....
    Happy Easter / May the Easter Bunny be Good to You!! Cheers helen

wbrandsma

Unfortunately not Helen. You can't adjust a specific area. You have to use additional applications like Photoshop or Lightzone for doing so.

Happy Easter too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Wouter glad you like it. Also thanks for your insight on the impression piece.

I still have my big bulky Nikon myself with three lenses (12-24mm,18-70mm and a 70-210mm) but don't use it anymore now that I can carry this around with such ease. I will sell it soon myself.

Here is another before I realized how not to have the date imprinted on the pic..........

wbrandsma

Awesome capture and I like it how the date print is almost perfectly aligned with the white stripe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL My favorite part of the shot as well.

wbrandsma

Michael Reichmann posted a review of the GX100 on Luminous Landscape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That review is a direct reflection of how I feel about the GX100.

Chris

Excellent work, JDavila!

And Wouter, I will read your impressions with much interest. I'm looking foreward to reading it tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Chris.

Here is one inspired by Wouter's smokestack shots. This is the kind of smoke stacks we get in my neck of the woods.

jd

wbrandsma

I would love to see NY smokestacks. Great photo!

asabet

What a beautiful scene Wouter.

wbrandsma

Thank you Amin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you look at the shot long enough you will see N.Y rats run by.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouter and JDavila
    Lovely stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you very much Lill,

I am having a good time with this camera.

I'm especially enjoying this forum and all the encouraging comments from all the extremely talented people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry I typed wrong, I ment to say thank you Lili

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wouter Simply Divine ....I love the light & dark tones.... Pulls you right in

JDavila Wonderful Shot...... makes me feel right at home walking the streets
    All the Best ! helen

wbrandsma

You are too kind Helen. Thank you!

JDavila: The Ricoh RAW files can take a lot of sharpening and helps to make it appear stronger and more contrasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Wouter,

Funny you said that, I've been belly aching over this one for weeks. I'm actually in between programs that will read Raw(DNG) files so I am forced to play around until I pick up a program such as CS3, Aperture 2 or any other program I decide on. Suggestions are welcome.

You can all call me Jeff or Jeffrey if your mad at me like my Mother does

Jd

wbrandsma

I aint mad at you, but I will call you Jeff anyway

I think your best of with Photoshop CS3. THE BEST TOOL for post processing in my opinion and it comes with their own RAW converter and Bridge. You can use Bridge for keywording and rating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photoshop CS3 was my first choice, so that the way I will go.

Until then It will be soft not so contrasty shots from me

jd

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is actually the way I look when I'm cussing Spitting image.

wbrandsma

Great man! This is :sleep006: how I will look in 15 minutes from now! It is getting late here in the Netherlands. Good luck in New Amsterdam with purchasing CS3

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    Great man! This is :sleep006: how I will look in 15 minutes from now! It is getting late here in the Netherlands. Good luck in New Amsterdam with purchasing CS3
    Hi Wouter
    Lovely lovely landscape shot - mind you, I've a bone to pick with you . . Transavia have stopped flying from Stansted to Rotterdam . . . . . which means I have to drive!!!! Being Dutch, I have to assume that this is entirely your responsibility!
    I love the way you lot bury your unsightly wires underground, ours are still sticking up waiting to be cloned.
    Sleep well, my turn soon.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Wouter,

You certainly have a keen eye for quietly dramatic, fine-toned compositions. Any Flemish painters in your family tree?

wbrandsma

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Wouter
    Lovely lovely landscape shot - mind you, I've a bone to pick with you . . Transavia have stopped flying from Stansted to Rotterdam . . . . . which means I have to drive!!!! Being Dutch, I have to assume that this is entirely your responsibility!
    I love the way you lot bury your unsightly wires underground, ours are still sticking up waiting to be cloned.
    Sleep well, my turn soon.
    I love this quote Jono. It is still almost a 1.5 hour drive from Rotterdam to my place. And I am not "Geert Wilders" so you are free to come. It is ought by the way that Transavia stopped flying from Stansted. According to their site it is still possible?!?
    At my place they only buried the wires underground near villages and cities. Go to Friesland or Groningen instead. In the second previous photo with the river and bridge wires can be seen to the left.

I will be waiting for your photos

wbrandsma

Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    Wouter,

You certainly have a keen eye for quietly dramatic, fine-toned compositions. Any Flemish painters in your family tree?
    Thank you David. No Flemish painters in my family tree, but I feel certainly inspired by the older Flemish and Dutch painters. They painted the most beautiful and dramatic skies.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love this quote Jono. It is still almost a 1.5 hour drive from Rotterdam to my place. And I am not "Geert Wilders" so you are free to come. It is ought by the way that Transavia stopped flying from Stansted. According to their site it is still possible?!?
    At my place they only buried the wires underground near villages and cities. Go to Friesland or Groningen instead. In the second previous photo with the river and bridge wires can be seen to the left.

I will be waiting for your photos
    Hi There
    Transavia are flying until 31st March - it's been such a nice flight with empty airoplanes (could give you a clue why they're stopping it!).
    Nice of you to give permission, but if you really knew me you might put on your Geert Hat for the afternoon!
    Unfortunately I'll be in Klundert most of the time working, but I sometimes spend time in Bergen op Zoom (where I stay), which is a little more er. . . photogenic!
    Here are some pictures from previous trips (nothing very splendid I'm afraid):

Delft 2005
    April 2006
    Bergen op Zoom
    Quiz Night

If I fly to Rotterdam, adding together getting to the airport, parking, security, flying, getting out of the airport, getting a taxi, getting to the client . . . it takes about 6 hours - which is pretty much how long it'll take to drive through the tunnel (and I might even stop of at Bruges for a couple of hours on the way).

Just this guy you know

Christi Mac

Well I turned 37 today and managed to get myself a GX100 as a present So far i'm loving it. I found the interface pretty easy to get to grips with and very very flexible. I especially like the My Settings 1 and 2 on the main dial. Customisable interfaces are the way forward imo and this is so customisable it's unbelievable.

I'm probably going to get the VF-1 soon as I can't really get on with framing on the back screen.

I'm just getting to grips with it, but it does feel a little like my old Minox 35 which was really the point. I wanted rid of the SLR and able to react quietly and quickly to the things I see. This seems to do that impeccably and as a result I'm extremely happy with it. Shooting square is a real bonus for me and as discussed in another thread it's pretty much how I "see" things. I like the static format and I love juxtaposing action within it. The only shame really is that I can't shoot RAW 1:1 format ... yet. Hopefully a firmware update will see to that sometime soon.

Once I learn how to get the best out of it Dynamic Range-wise I can see myself hanging up my SLR on a more permanent basis.

A few hastily "LightRoomed" samples from my first outing with it this morning. Not exactly how I'd like them and I'll probably come back to this thread and hang my head in shame but hey - for now I'm excited

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Christi Mac
    Congratualtions and Happy Birthday!
    I like the shots you posted, esp the overhead one of the pedestrians.
    No Shame at all there!

Edit; the Minox 35 are great little cameras, aren't they?
    Last edited by Lili; 26th March 2008 at 10:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    the Minox 35 are great little cameras, aren't they?
    Yes, I still have a couple though I haven't used either for a while.

and happy anniversary of your birthday, Christi !
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Yes, I still have a couple though I haven't used either for a while.

and happy anniversary of your birthday, Christi !
    Bertie,
    My first 'real' camera was an old 35el my Dad gave me while I was in High School. Loved that little camera; it quite spoiled me and I cried when it was stolen in college.
    I have a 35gl now I got from Dan Goldberg, haven't used it in a bit though

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Christi
    Welcome - and happy birthday (all in one). I'm sure you'll love the GX100, I'm personally rather against small sensor cameras, but keep coming back to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Christi Mac View Post
    Well I turned 37 today and managed to get myself a GX100 as a present So far i'm loving it. I found the interface pretty easy to get to grips with and very very flexible. I especially like the My Settings 1 and 2 on the main dial. Customisable interfaces are the way forward imo and this is so customisable it's unbelievable.
    A few hastily "LightRoomed" samples from my first outing with it this morning. Not exactly how I'd like them and I'll probably come back to this thread and hang my head in shame but hey - for now I'm excited
    I love the first two shots (especially the first). The PP looks pretty good to me.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

He There
    Wouter has inspired me with his GX100 landscapes - here is one from over the North Sea:

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a still life:
    Pewter Mustard pot and Tomato

Just this guy you know

wbrandsma

Hi There
    Transavia are flying until 31st March - it's been such a nice flight with empty airoplanes (could give you a clue why they're stopping it!).
    Nice of you to give permission, but if you really knew me you might put on your Geert Hat for the afternoon!
    Unfortunately I'll be in Klundert most of the time working, but I sometimes spend time in Bergen op Zoom (where I stay), which is a little more er. . . photogenic!
    Here are some pictures from previous trips (nothing very splendid I'm afraid):

Delft 2005
    April 2006
    Bergen op Zoom
    Quiz Night

If I fly to Rotterdam, adding together getting to the airport, parking, security, flying, getting out of the airport, getting a taxi, getting to the client . . . it takes about 6 hours - which is pretty much how long it'll take to drive through the tunnel (and I might even stop of at Bruges for a couple of hours on the way).
    I know Bergen op Zoom pretty well. It is a beautiful city near Antwerpen. My favorite place there is just south of the city from where you have a great view to the province of Zeeland and the harbours of Antwerpen. Also the Wouwse Plantage is fantastic.
    I really love your photos of Bergen op Zoom, but I also checked the rest of your photos on your site. My absolute favorite is the L7010154a - Version 2 from your Suffolk January 2008 gallery. Stunning!

Did you check Willemstad by the way? Is not that far from Klundert and really pretty.

wbrandsma

Well I turned 37 today and managed to get myself a GX100 as a present
    Congratulations Christi and what a beautiful gift Those photos are wonderful. You seem to cope well with the dynamic range of the camera. The light is stunning, especially in the second photo.

wbrandsma

He There
    Wouter has inspired me with his GX100 landscapes - here is one from over the North Sea:

I love it Jono. Great cloudy, and dramatic sky and a beautiful landscape. Excellent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There

Jono, what a super photo: it reminds me very much of the b/w days when the discussions were about yellow and orange filters...
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

YEAH HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISTI
    Loved your first shots w/the GX100 ....... Moody & Crisp.... All the Best-Helen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know Bergen op Zoom pretty well. It is a beautiful city near Antwerpen. My favorite place there is just south of the city from where you have a great view to the province of Zeeland and the harbours of Antwerpen. Also the Wouwse Plantage is fantastic.
    I really love your photos of Bergen op Zoom, but I also checked the rest of your photos on your site. My absolute favorite is the L7010154a - Version 2 from your Suffolk January 2008 gallery. Stunning!

Did you check Willemstad by the way? Is not that far from Klundert and really pretty.
    Hi There
    I'll have to try and do some investigation - I've never been a free agent before (i.e. flying and then relying on taxis / business associates cars). Willemstad sounds like a definite, and south of Bergen op Zoom too. Trouble is that it's really supposed to be work (they are paying after all!).

Where do you live?

Glad you liked the 'bush and cloud' shot - it's a theme I've been concentrating on lately, and there are lots more to come.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Jono, what a super photo: it reminds me very much of the b/w days when the discussions were about yellow and orange filters...
    Hi Bertie
    Thank you.
    Yes indeed - Aperture has them now - much easier than using the real thing!
    They were a bit stacked up for this shot though!

Just this guy you know