Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricoh GX100

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Ricoh GX100

H A P P Y - B " D A Y - C H R I S T I

Looks like you have already put the present to very good use. I like the first one, particularly the angle of view combined with the fact that the person near the rail is turning back which connects us with the figure on the other side. There is also another figure who seems to be turning slightly towards the one looking back. There is a twisting back against the general movement of the photo and once we are pushed back we are once again propelled forward. Very nice.

wbrandsma

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Where do you live?

Glad you liked the 'bush and cloud' shot - it's a theme I've been concentrating on lately, and there are lots more to come.
    I live in Ede (see here) in the province of Gelderland. It is centered between Utrecht and Arnhem a long highway A12.

I love to see more of you 'bush and cloud' photos.

What is you occumpation and what brings you to Klundert? The harbour of Moerdijk is nearby.

Christi Mac

Thanks all for your birthday wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Christi Mac
    I like the shots you posted <snip> Edit; the Minox 35 are great little cameras, aren't they?
    Thanks Lili - I've come back to them today and am still pleased with the first two which is always a good sign . and yes the Minox 35s are stunners imo - mine was my little baby for a very long time.

HI Christi
    I love the first two shots (especially the first). The PP looks pretty good to me.
    Thanks Jono - it's a relief to hear that - I still haven't gotten round to calibrating the monitor on my newly "flattened" system. Always a worry that others aren't seeing the shots the way you are.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    Congratulations Christi <snip > The light is stunning, especially in the second photo.
    Thanks Wouter - that shot was really me experimenting. i wanted to see if I could come up with the style of square format shot that I used to gravitate towards with my old Mamiya 6 MF - the answer would appear to be yes which pleases me greatly as it has implications for a series I had been working on until a couple of years ago when the Mamiya flew the nest.

cmb_

Thanks for that - I took several shots from there waiting for some kind of pleasing pattern to appear. the glances are a happy accident that I only really noticed in LightRoom but you're right it does really help the eye to move around the image imo.

It's been a real boost to get these comments from you folks... expect more shots soon

Jono - I really like the landscape. I can imagine that stack of gaffer-taped* filters right now as if it were the mid 1990s once again.

*don't know about anyone else - but gaffer tape was probably my most used piece of photographic equipment. We built entire studios out of the stuff - to the point where we referred to it as "Dark Matter", the stuff that binds the universe together...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What is you occumpation and what brings you to Klundert? The harbour of Moerdijk is nearby.
    Hi Wouter
    I'm not sure what an occumpation is, but I suspect you want to know that I have a software package which I wrote, and which I supply to engineering companies. So, actually I'm going to the industrial estate between Klundert and Moerdijk (I didn't know there was a harbour there though).

Just this guy you know

wbrandsma

I am glad you interpreted my miswriting as "occupation"! I was already thinking about Moerdijk so the "M" made its unexpected entry in occupation. You can see the harbour here.

I don't get there that often, but in May someday I will go to Zierikzee to see a photo exhibition. Maybe, if I have enough time, I will make some photos there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a software package which I wrote
    Aha, Jono, you are the software expert
    Sláinte

Robert.

Christi Mac

Well these are the last of my tests - I'm very happy with the thing now and I reckon I've probably shot around 500 images since I got the camera on Thursday. It really has freed me up and in some ways made me realise that jumping on the 4/3 bandwagon early ( I still have my e-300 slr, but not for long ) was a mistake purely in terms of my process. It's been refreshing coming back to 3:2 and 1:1 format and there's definitely something about those formats that speaks *through* me more than the 4:3 in my Oly has.

It's not that I don't like other peoples work in other formats but I just can't see in them myself. Psychology eh...? Crazy thing.

wbrandsma

Absolutely stunning photos Christ Mac! I also prefer framing with the 3:2 format. You shoot jpeg now or have you already tried the RAW files?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gorgeous ....Wouter & Christi helen

wbrandsma

Thank you Helen

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic work... you guys are the GX-100 Kings! (can that be made to rhyme with Gypsie Kings?)

Hey Wouter, you once said that given a 2nd choice, you'd have bought a GRD-2 instead of GX-100 (if it had been available at the time). But so many of your superb shots are taken at 24mm... do you still think you'd prefer the GRD-2?

wbrandsma

I still think I would have bought the GRDII if it was available. But I would probably also buy the GW-1 wide conversion lens. The GX100 lens is beautiful and versatile (though I personally use the 50mm as my maximum focal length). But the lens is also my biggest concern. The GX100 has far more dust problems in my opinion than any other compact camera and I think the lens is the weakest part.
    But I must also say I love the output of the GX100. The raw files are great and I found a good technique to get the look I want.

Christi Mac

Thanks everyone - got to say I love the the way the GX100 handles tone. I think I barely spent more than 3 or 4 minutes in LR for any single one of those shots.

Absolutely stunning photos Christ Mac! I also prefer framing with the 3:2 format. You shoot jpeg now or have you already tried the RAW files?

Wouter, I'm still shooting Jpeg at the moment. I've been treating it a bit like slide photography back in the day - get the exposure spot on and know exactly what you want to with the highlights from before you press the shutter button. That approach seems to work well for the GX100 in a very dynamic environment such as the shopping centre above.

Now that I'm getting more comfortable with framing via the back screen I reckon I'll move to RAW and take a less scatter-shot approach. That shot you posted is beautiful and has precisely the kind of tone I'm looking to work with. I take it that's RAW you're working with there. Are you doing anything specific with your process to compress the tonal range? Or are you picking the right day for your shots... back in my medium / large format days I used to love shooting on dull days and then spreading those tonal zones around the image

As for the GRDII - I was tempted but like Wouter it wasn't available at the time - plus I really wanted that step zoom and 50 mm prime equivalent. I'm certainly not disappointed in the slightest with the choice - but having read this forum first I always make sure I have the lens cap on when I'm wandering around.
    Last edited by Christi Mac; 29th March 2008 at 05:35.

wbrandsma

I almost entirely work with RAW. I use Lightoom to process my RAW files. For every region I want to adjust (like, sky, trees, foreground, or anything specifically) I make a virtual copy and adjust the images to my likings. For the B&W conversion I never use the grayscale option, but always first desaturate all the colours. For I drag all the saturation sliders to -100 and adjust the luminance sliders to get the result I want. I than export all the virtual copies to 16 bit TIFFS. I layer my image in Photoshop and use masks to blend everything digitally. After that I use some extra curves in Photoshop for further local adjustments. I don't sharpen and denoise my images in Lightroom. I do all my sharpening in Photoshop instead (no noisereduction applied).

Maybe in a year of two I might buy the GRDII as an end of life product

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

fantastic photos, Christi and Wouter! beautiful tonality!!!

Wouter -- you know i just get lost in your images all the time so i won't do my usual gushing as it's so redundant. you are the master!

Christi -- since you're still shooting JPEG, you definitely made the right decision in going with the GX100. the original GRD was king, but the GX100 is no slouch. the GRDII still uses NR (even when it is switched off) and the JPEGs can get artifacts and lose detail in chunks of solid colours that is truly annoying. (for example, that black coat in the second pic of yours. it could easily have gotten mucked with the GRDII JPEG. then again, you are much more careful with your exposure than i ever am as i shoot on the fly.)

wbrandsma

You are great Cam!

Post Thanks / Like

you guys are making it nearly impossible for me to pull the trigger on a GRD2 with these shots...great stuff

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You are great Cam!

That image is incredible, Wouter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't think too hard about this one:

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My favorite past time Great shot!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely Shot Jonoslack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't think too hard about this one:

Beautiful mesh of Wood & Metal
    ZEN like....... in the mix of ELEMENTS & SIMPLICITY
    Cheers! helen

Christi Mac

I almost entirely work with RAW. I use Lightoom to process my RAW files. For every region I want to adjust (like, sky, trees, foreground, or anything specifically) I make a virtual copy and adjust the images to my likings. For the B&W conversion I never use the grayscale option, but always first desaturate all the colours. For I drag all the saturation sliders to -100 and adjust the luminance sliders to get the result I want. I than export all the virtual copies to 16 bit TIFFS. I layer my image in Photoshop and use masks to blend everything digitally. After that I use some extra curves in Photoshop for further local adjustments. I don't sharpen and denoise my images in Lightroom. I do all my sharpening in Photoshop instead (no noisereduction applied).

Maybe in a year of two I might buy the GRDII as an end of life product
    That's brilliant info - exactly the kind of process I think I would plump for myself as it replicates very closely the complex masking and burning process I used in the darkroom. I'll have a play with that system Wouter

Beautiful shot there too

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    fantastic photos, Christi and Wouter! beautiful tonality!!!

Wouter -- you know i just get lost in your images all the time so i won't do my usual gushing as it's so redundant. you are the master!

Christi -- since you're still shooting JPEG, you definitely made the right decision in going with the GX100. the original GRD was king, but the GX100 is no slouch. the GRDII still uses NR (even when it is switched off) and the JPEGs can get artifacts and lose detail in chunks of solid colours that is truly annoying. (for example, that black coat in the second pic of yours. it could easily have gotten mucked with the GRDII JPEG. then again, you are much more careful with your exposure than i ever am as i shoot on the fly.)
    The fact that it's still there even when you switch it off would really annoy me I think. I'll be moving towards RAW now but the write times are slow *and* RAW isn't available in 1:1 with the GX100 yet, so for a lot of my stuff I feel Jpeg may still be the way forward for me - especially street work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's not all peaches and cream.

jd

wbrandsma

Excellent social documentary photograph Jeff. In the meantime nature can get urbanized too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDavila View Post
    It's not all peaches and cream.

jd
    Jeff that shot is awesome social document, the tonality, sharpness are superb

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent social documentary photograph Jeff. In the meantime nature can get urbanized too.

Wouter you know I love urban work, that is excellent

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Wouter,

These guys were having a tea party behind the Key food parking lot. I had to be real quick with the shot.

As usual Wouter Beautiful tonality in your shot. I cant wait to start working in RAW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Jeff that shot is awesome social document, the tonality, sharpness are superb
    Thanks Lili,

It's nice to be able to shoot jpeg and still get o.k results.

wbrandsma

I didn't notice it first, but on this photo you can see the famous GX100 "blob". Just right of the tree above the roof. That is the second time I got dust in my lens of the GX100 within a half year .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wouter,

I don't really see it, prob because I'm half blind.

What about hot pixels, I think that is what they are called. Should I be worried if they show up allot in low light situations? or in any situation?

jd

wbrandsma

Hi Jeff,
    You might see some hotpixels with longer exposures, but nothing to worry about. The dust problem is certainly a bigger problem. And it is really hard to avoid it too.

I show another example with the dust spot. It is on the same height.

Post Thanks / Like

so I assume that the GRD2, because it isn't a zoom, is less susceptible to the dust issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wouter,

Now I see it!!!

I'm just amazed how your able to get dust in the shape of a big black arrow

I'm going to have to be real careful.

jeff

PeterLeyssens

Just ordered my Ricoh GX100

Hi,

I just ordered my Ricoh GX-1000 and I'm really looking forward to it ! I got 2*4Gb Extreme III cards because 3*2Gb wasn't cheaper. Also ordered: a Domke F-945 to store it (+ some other stuff) in. Coming up next: Leica SBOOI (for the connoisseurs): a 50mm viewfinder. And probably a Nexto Multi 1 to backup my flash cards. Being the fastest backup device and with very good support at only €95 (I still have a hard disk laying around), it's a steal.

I'm slightly nervous ! This will be my first digital camera after a period of rangefinders

Peter.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I am a new owner of the GX100. Some of my first test shots were in a dark bar, waiting for my shrimp scampi to go. Using ISO 800 B&W. You may look here at 3 shots here. http://antara11.blogspot.com/
    I am beginning a series on street photography of Main Street in Santa Monica. Its an interesting combination of many characters, from the homeless to the raw fooders, to the artists, to the well to do new mothers and babies, to the bicyclists with yoga mats, etc.
    The color photos are from the Olympus 8080, which I no longer have. Click to enlarge. Comments welcome.

I am eager to participate in this forum. Have been studying and admiring the work and experience here. I posted in the dpreview Ricoh forum a histogram question and got little response. If any of you would care to look and comment, I would appreciate it. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=27366631
    Best,
    Antara

Post Thanks / Like

Antara,
    Wish I could get as clear in B&W-I think perhaps I try too hard and ruin things
    I am yet to get a shot I like in B&W from the Ricoh.In colour I am ,strangely, having more success:-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/polloba...7603708818465/

This was at 100 ISO,hand held.The next at 200 iso again handheld.The IS works well.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/polloba...57603708818465

look forward to seeing mre of your pix,
    Best rgds

paul

paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still cant work in Raw but I will not let that stop me

Love all the shots recently posted by the way. Man that beer looks great Antara. YUUUMMMMMMM!!!!!!

jd

Chris

I have been busy lately and today is the first time since quite a while that I visit this forum. I am very pleased to see so many great photographs and to see all the new GX100 owners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now thats the difference between pp Raw and pp Jpeg. You just cant sharpen and bump up contrast in Jpeg without blowing out the shot.

Great shots Chris!!!

May I ask what program your processing your shots in? Love your stuff.

Jeff

Chris

Thank you very much, Jeff. I also like your work very much.

I use FixFoto, a cheap and easy german program. I am not a great pp crack. For my b/w pictures, I usually just use the Automatic Image Optimizing (there are various options - some are add-ons - the one I use mostly is called i2e). Afterwards, I use the add-on Monochromix, which allows to darken (and lighten) the shadows, adjust the mid-tones and brighter areas and you also can change the gradation and some other things.
    If the photo is in colour, you can try different filters or preset filmlike simulations in this add-on.

Anyway, I don't like the program for RAW files. So I use different ones for the RAW conversion. But after shooting in RAW in the first months, now I almost always shoot in jpgs (in b/w). I noticed, that my RAW conversion skills are not good enough to get significantly better results in RAW in about 90% of the cases (percentage is estimated ;-) ).
    Many times, I have blown highlights, but I even had them in RAW sometimes. I am not sure if this is due to the harsh light (I often shoot at noon) or if it is due to my way of exposure (I mostly prefer to adjust it for the people rather than for the sky).

Something I really like about FixFoto is, that you can upgrade to new versions without having to pay again.

Edit: It looks like FixFoto is called PhotoPerfect in english... But I am not sure if it is exactly the same.
    Last edited by Chris; 5th April 2008 at 00:56.

Allan Rostron

I've been inspired by the many wonderful photos appearing in this forum to do a bit more photography, so here are a few shots I've taken with a Ricoh GX100. The black-and-white ones were processed in Lightzone using two variants of the recipes described by Mitch either here or in the Ricoh Forum on DPReview, then a bit of tweaking in Photoshop.
    The shots were taken in Western Australia; those with the big rocks and the ocean and the cafe scene were taken in Perth; the three girls jumping and the dead tree were taken in the south-west corner of WA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome Allan,

I like the first and the third the best.

jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been using my GX100 much lately but I had it in the car with me yesterday and saw these pigeons. Luckily I had it set on snap focus so I managed to catch the flight. Not the best shot ever, but illustrates the advantage of being able to always have a camera to hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gator Joe's on Lake Weir, Ocklawaha, Florida
    GX-100

wbrandsma

Great work Allan, Will, and Cindy!
    After only a week my camera is back from service repair. They replaced the lens assy (again), checked the camera, and I am just glad it is back

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an interesting point of view... as the train was going by, I shot from ground level.

Attachment 2897

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 15th February 2009 at 10:03.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like that one Simon.
    Gator Joe's looks like quite a place Cindy, great pic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Wouter and Will. The original Gator Joe was a 15'7" alligator with quite a notoriety.

wbrandsma

Excellent perspective and great photo Simon. I like the toning too.