Re: Ricoh GX100

Thanks Antara-boy did she sit still .

I'll try some BnW work next week.

thnks n rgds

paul

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wouter,
    Ricoh blue skies are nice ,and the continuous mode made the shot easy too.
    brgds

paul

pcheywood

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    T
    @Paul: Thanks for sharing your photograph. I think it is very good in combination to the grainy feel. What ISO did you use? Looks great in B&W. For getting the feel of sharpness you could do an extra sharpening after you resized the photo for webpublishing.
    Thanks for looking Wouter, I think I'm going to have to play around with my PP for that particular site ( everytime I look at the image it seems worse, and only bears a passing resemblance to the file on my pc). The shot was taken at 400 iso, and -0.7 eV.

Paul.

wbrandsma

Thank you for your answer Paul. Good luck with the PP-ing.

Here more recent work.

Post Thanks / Like

The Soup Man
    B&W jpeg pp in PS.
    A quick grab while ordering lunch. 2.5, 1/20 iso 80
    Please critique. I'm trying to learn Off Street Shooting((- skills.
    Read the informative thread with Mitch, Sean and Wouter in the other thread.

Antara

pcheywood

Thank you for your answer Paul. Good luck with the PP-ing.
    I'll keep practicing with the PP That DP1 is looking good though?

Here's another go.................

From the Sunday market at Chiang Mai. Is it too dark or contrasty?

Really like that Soup Man Antara!

I've never tackled any sort of landscape Wouter, but looking at your images has me thinking about giving it a go.

Paul.

wbrandsma

The market picture is absolutely not too dark or contrasty for me. I think it makes it more interesting to. I try to learn photographing those landscapes. Examples, tips, and ideas really help me.

Thanks for sharing Paul!

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, I think the dark pulls you into the two lit faces and I am especially drawn to the fellow with glasses, and get an overall feel of the celebration from the light near the table. Even tho much is dark you still get a sense of the place and atmosphere where this is all occurring. Good work.
    Wouter, I am always appreciative of your landscapes. And I keep wondering how you can pull it off so well so often. Especially the composition. Would you be willing to share how you compose? I notice the close, middle and far are there, and sometimes the rule of thirds. I am rather intuitive about composition, but would like to become more conscious of the elements that really make that magic.

wbrandsma

That is tough question Antara. And there is no straight answer for that. Where I life it is all around me. Within in a few minutes I am either in the forest or open fields. It is my habitat and I feel comfortable there.
    I am more conscious of my whereabouts then I am of my compositions. It is not something I am really thinking about, but more like something I am feeling. Maybe that is way I want to extend my horizon and add the street to my landscapes to. I love to learn, adapt, and feel. Maybe that is the magic for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pcheywood View Post
    I'll keep practicing with the PP That DP1 is looking good though?

Here's another go.................

From the Sunday market at Chiang Mai. Is it too dark or contrasty?Paul.
    Hi Paul
    I like the Overall Vibe/Mood at 'The Sunday Market'
    and NOT too contrasty for my Taste
    Cheers! H

wbrandsma

You are right Helen. That picture has a fantastic vibe.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple from today.

Thats a goji berry, strawberry, coconut pie.

Antara

Kiri

Hi, I've just joined this forum after Antara told me about it over at dpreviews (thanks Antara
    Basically I'm trying to learn more about photography and how to use my GX100 'properly', rather than just point and shoot. At the moment I'm in experimental mode, and just learning the basics of ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc.

I would also like to learn more about post processing in photoshop etc.

If anyone has any tips or good tutorials about either topics, they would be most appreciated

A couple of specific questions I have after reading through this thread:

I notice a lot of people doing B&W photos which are really nice. Do you shoot in colour and then convert to B&W in post, or do you shoot straight to B&W in camera?

Could someone give me an overview of the steps taken in post production to get the nice tonality and richness in the B&W images? I'm semi-familiar with photoshop, but not really sure how to go about this..

Thanks a lot!

wbrandsma

Welcome Kiri! Congrats with your GX100.

Like many small sensor cameras the GX100 has huge depth of field. Unlike SLR cameras you will get sharp images from front to end with aperture of f4. I would suggest you leave the camera in aperture priority (A mode) and set an aperture of f4.6. Choose a exposure compensation of -0.3 to avoid (most of the) clipping of the highlights.

Try experimenting with the MY 1 and MY 2 settings to save your preferred settings. And when you feel comfortable with switch to RAW.

Regarding B&W conversion I suggest you make your photographs in colour first and convert them in PP. A great way for creating B&W filmlooks in Photoshop is with Channel Mixer. On the website Petteri's Pontifications you can see several RGB settings for the Channel Mixer (don't forget to select Monochrome). With a Curves adjustment layer you can add more or less contrast to your photographs. But in Photoshop there are so many way's to create B&W photographs and there are many tutorials on the web.

Cheers,

pcheywood

Antara, that cake looks like I could reach out and take a bite!

Kiri, I'm with you. I'm perplexed at the number of methods for converting to mono, seems like every pro has a 'killer action', I'm very much experimenting myself.

Meanwhile, here is another couple for your perusal, think I prefer the colour version myself!

For the mono I used 'Convert to B&W pro' from theimagingfactory.

I'll keep practicing.

Paul.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, lovely shot. I have tried some of the software that there is around for BW convertions, but to be honest, I allways end up with results that I like best by doing the convertions by myself in Photoshop. It may seem a bit too complicated at first, but a little of experimenting and playing can give nice results in little time. The method that seems to be giving the more pleasing results to the majority of the people (myself included) is the "channel mixer" route...You can find an interesting essay and some helpfull guidelines in the following article: http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_...ms.html?page=7

This guy, Petteri, has a ton of usefull essays there, and he has a sense of humour as well, great fun.

I mentioned before I really liked your image, so much that i actually "grabbed" it and gave it a try myself..hope you won´t mind.

Channel mixer (25,35,40), a little curves and very minor dodge and burn. I thought a little of toning would help the lovely warm atmosphere in the shot so I gave it a mild Duotone, desaturated a bit and ended with another tiny bit of curves. BW is a VERY subjective thing, some people like very contrasty images and others like low contrast with plenty of detail in the shadows or the highlights. I simply converted this shot to something that pleases ME. Your approach might differ. It´s all about fun!! (obviously a five minutes process of a little web-JPEG is going to deteriorate an image visibly...)

Cheers, Erik.

The End Of Print

WELL, i finally made a decision between the GRD and the GX100.
    I went for the GX100 for its zoom, "MY Settings" and shooting in 1:1 format.

I bought it yesterday from Jessops (uk) as thats the cheapest prices ive found PLUS they offer a 3 year no quibbles warranty for only £40. If anything goes wrong with the camera in that time or even if i drop it, i'll get it fixed or a new one in return. nice deal they have!

Anyway, no sooner had i charged the battery and put it in i realised that the language had already been set - very strange ..... then as i continue to flick through the manual, i find a train ticket for a month ago in there!!!!
    It seems the camera has been on its holidays before i had it! lol.
    So phoned up the shop today, the assistant manager couldnt be more appologetic and told me to bring the camera in and he'd get me a new one within a day. he's also offered some Print discount vouchers or a discount off the camera. I already got £25 off the price by using an online voicher code . SO any more money off would be very nice. Might try and wangle getting a 4gig card rather than the "money off prints" vouchers as i dont do prints.
    I'll stress the case that im a good customer of theirs - spending about £20-30+ a week on getting films developed and scanned.

On sunday night on ebay i bought myself a lens for my GX100.
    It's a 16mm Nikon WC-E68 Wide angle lens that i will be able to fit to the camera via the HA-2 adaptor and a step-up ring.

I'm soooooo looking forward to getting the two married together
    hopefully by the end of the week!

Kiri

Welcome Kiri! Congrats with your GX100.

Like many small sensor cameras the GX100 has huge depth of field. Unlike SLR cameras you will get sharp images from front to end with aperture of f4. I would suggest you leave the camera in aperture priority (A mode) and set an aperture of f4.6. Choose a exposure compensation of -0.3 to avoid (most of the) clipping of the highlights.

Try experimenting with the MY 1 and MY 2 settings to save your preferred settings. And when you feel comfortable with switch to RAW.

Regarding B&W conversion I suggest you make your photographs in colour first and convert them in PP. A great way for creating B&W filmlooks in Photoshop is with Channel Mixer. On the website Petteri's Pontifications you can see several RGB settings for the Channel Mixer (don't forget to select Monochrome). With a Curves adjustment layer you can add more or less contrast to your photographs. But in Photoshop there are so many way's to create B&W photographs and there are many tutorials on the web.

Cheers,

Thanks for the advice Wouter!
    I've been experimenting with your suggested settings the last couple of days... Will post some images a little later.

Is there any particular reason you suggest a setting of f4.6?

I've been experimenting with aperture and depth of field, but as you said, it is hard to get much DOF in digital compacts I guess, unless using macro mode.

I'll also try some B&W tuts around on google and see how I go. Might ask some more questions later about that part though. Thanks.

I also managed to pick up a HA2 adapter so I can now fit filters and other lenses on.
    Unfortunately the filter I really wanted to play with (Hoya R72 IR) is unavailable here in Japan, even though it is MADE here in Japan! Go figure.

wbrandsma

Quote Originally Posted by The End Of Print View Post
    WELL, i finally made a decision between the GRD and the GX100.
    I went for the GX100 for its zoom, "MY Settings" and shooting in 1:1 format.

I bought it yesterday from Jessops (uk) as thats the cheapest prices ive found PLUS they offer a 3 year no quibbles warranty for only £40. If anything goes wrong with the camera in that time or even if i drop it, i'll get it fixed or a new one in return. nice deal they have!

Anyway, no sooner had i charged the battery and put it in i realised that the language had already been set - very strange ..... then as i continue to flick through the manual, i find a train ticket for a month ago in there!!!!
    It seems the camera has been on its holidays before i had it! lol.
    So phoned up the shop today, the assistant manager couldnt be more appologetic and told me to bring the camera in and he'd get me a new one within a day. he's also offered some Print discount vouchers or a discount off the camera. I already got £25 off the price by using an online voicher code . SO any more money off would be very nice. Might try and wangle getting a 4gig card rather than the "money off prints" vouchers as i dont do prints.
    I'll stress the case that im a good customer of theirs - spending about £20-30+ a week on getting films developed and scanned.

On sunday night on ebay i bought myself a lens for my GX100.
    It's a 16mm Nikon WC-E68 Wide angle lens that i will be able to fit to the camera via the HA-2 adaptor and a step-up ring.

I'm soooooo looking forward to getting the two married together
    hopefully by the end of the week!
    Congrats! Have fun and share some of your first results.

Kiri

By the way, can anyone recommend a good memory card to use with the GX100?
    Currently I only have a sandisk 1GB card.
    I would like to buy an extra 2GB card. I've seen people recommend the extreme III and 2 cards as being the fastest.
    Are there any others that are reasonably fast, and reasonably inexpensive?

wbrandsma

On Ricohforum.com is a thread about writing speeds for various SD/SDHC cards.
    I personally prefer the 2Gb Sandisk Extreme III card.

Kiri

Here is my first attempt at converting to a B&W image:

You can see the original colour version here

I used the lab color method posted here
    And also added my own curve adjustment layer.

I may have made it a little dark in some areas, but it was kind of difficult to find a balance between detail and contrast.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Any feedback is most welcome

PS: Thanks for the link on memory cards Wouter

PPS: Please click on the attached thumbnail image to see it in proper quality. For some reason I couldn't put the picture in the message and had to add it as an attachment..
    Last edited by Kiri; 2nd May 2008 at 03:23.

Kiri

2nd attempt:

Original

Tried to keep this one a little lighter in the shadows.

Once again, any feedback is welcome

The End Of Print

What an awesome little camera the GX100 is!
    Thought i'd post up some of my very first images with it, was at my folks this weekend so they fell victim to my first test shots after reading the manual.

The last shot is back in edinburgh in my living room, just wanted to test out the lens i bought on ebay for my GX100.
    The lens is a 16mm!!!! Nikon WC-EC8, it fits onto the GX100 using the HA-2 adapter and a 43-46mm step up adapter. A heavy wee lens, but it gives AMAZING wide angle perspective without distorting straight lines. impressive, eh?!
    I got this lens for £32 from ebay and it came with a nikon adapter that i dont need but should be able to sell on ebay for £10. which means il have got the lens for £22.
    WELL worth the money!!

Post Thanks / Like

That last shot with the 16mm lens is really something. Talk about peripheral vision.

Reminds me of the Van Gogh interiors that have a wide-angle perspective, especially this one:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely....Well Done
    Crisp / Great Tonality
    Best, H

wbrandsma

What an awesome little camera the GX100 is!
    Thought i'd post up some of my very first images with it, was at my folks this weekend so they fell victim to my first test shots after reading the manual.

Congrats with your camera! And the last photograph is fantastic. It looks very good.

wbrandsma

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Here is my first attempt at converting to a B&W image:
    And a very good one Kiri. The lab method is interesting, but there are so many approaches in Photoshop for converting. What about add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and set the blending mode to color. Again add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and change the saturation to -100. Now return to the first adjustment layer and drag the Hue slider either to the left or to the right and see how it affects your B&W conversion.

Here some outings from today in the Zoo, although I absolutely am no fan of Zoo photography.

Photographed Primates

Primate Shadow

Kiri

And a very good one Kiri. The lab method is interesting, but there are so many approaches in Photoshop for converting. What about add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and set the blending mode to color. Again add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and change the saturation to -100. Now return to the first adjustment layer and drag the Hue slider either to the left or to the right and see how it affects your B&W conversion.

Hey Wouter, thanks for the tip, I will give it a try and see how it turns out.

I love that 2nd photo with the monkey silhouette BTW. Its both cute and ominous at the same time

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad to see this thread is still going strong.

I waited 5 minute until he finally jumped over these kids but got it!!!!!!

I cant wait to be able to play with these in raw when I get the proper software. Yes Wouter.............. I still have yet to get CS3.

Great shots from everyone.

jeff

wbrandsma

Those are stunning Jeff. I really like the first one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not quite my style, but I couldn't resist this chap, laden with cameras, taking pix of his chums

Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Wouter, the first one is my favorite one as well. I'm glad to see you pulled yourself out of your comfort zone and your trying new things.

I like the shot you took of the Lemurs shadow the best.

Cheers
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A lift-shaft in a tower
    Sláinte

Robert.

The End Of Print

My HA-2 adapter came today so I can now attach the 16mm Nikon WC-EC8 lens to my GX100.

I've taken some photos today with it on my lunchour. Im soo looking forward to getting home after work to see what the pics are like big.

I'm sure you'll agree the GX100 looks a BEAST with this lens attached.
    The lens is actually HEAVIER than the camera lol.
    What's the weight of the ricoh 19mm lens like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello TEOP,

I noticed that you have not done the necessary modification to your HA-1 hood and Nikon lens. Without these modifications you will(as you now know I'm sure) get a strong vignette. So in fact to get a clean shot free from vignette on the corners of your pic you would have to shoot at 19mm.

My advice to to you is this, check out the thread: Report on mounting Nikon WC-E68 on GX100 and you will get a clear understanding on how to proceed with the alterations. Read it all very carefully.

I have modified the WC-E68 for fun and can now shoot at 16mm but It will take some work and allot of patients. I also bought a 15mm Voigtlander finder to get the 100% field of view when using the 16mm.

Good luck

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This kid ripped him a new one.

Jeff

Kiri

What about add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and set the blending mode to color. Again add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and change the saturation to -100. Now return to the first adjustment layer and drag the Hue slider either to the left or to the right and see how it affects your B&W conversion.

OK, Here is my attempt at using the hue/saturation style. It was really quick, and seemed to turn out pretty well. I also added a curves layer for some extra contrast and adjustments

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My HA-2 adapter came today so I can now attach the 16mm Nikon WC-EC8 lens to my GX100.

I've taken some photos today with it on my lunchour. Im soo looking forward to getting home after work to see what the pics are like big.

I'm sure you'll agree the GX100 looks a BEAST with this lens attached.
    The lens is actually HEAVIER than the camera lol.
    What's the weight of the ricoh 19mm lens like?

A MEAN MACHINE

Best, H

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by JDavila View Post
    This kid ripped him a new one.
    Love it .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amin,

Thanks for the thumbs up. Every time the guy made a move the kid creamed him without hesitation.

I have better shots of kid dismembering this guy but since I cannot do my PP in Raw yet I will have to work in jpeg.

Thanks again.
    Jeff

wbrandsma

Looking very good Jeff and Kiri.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wouter,

In the last shot I like the guy riding the imaginary bike to the left. Great work!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

MAGNIFIQUE Wouter

Zoo shot is charming /love the Stripe Tails & TShirts

The second shot I might crop on the right side / so one just SEES the three couples

Last shot Pure Street Magic /Did they just come out of one of 'those funny cafes'

Best, H

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Last shot Pure Street Magic /Did they just come out of one of 'those funny cafes'

Best, H
    I'm with Helen. That third shot is fantastic Wouter.

wbrandsma

LOL Jeff!! Yes, that is how we Dutch look like when we're dancing! And thank you Helen and Amin.

And here a real bicycle photograph.

Post Thanks / Like

So many more good images! I like the bicycle shot so much I made it a favorite in Flickr.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So many great shots
    Wouter I LOVE the bicycle and dance shots.

here is something completely different (are you allowed to use it for landscapes . . . I was on a bike, promise )

It's that time of the year

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking very good Jeff and Kiri.

Wouter I love these, but the tonality of the one with the Lemurs is stunning

wbrandsma

Excellent photographs Jono. The first and third one really works for me.

And thank you Lili.

One more cycling picture and it seems Maggie is here too in her Subaru!