The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

srw

Great shots everyone! Keep em coming

Here's some new ones-

Do you see the cat?
I showed this to someone and they said it looks like an aerial photo (it's a closeup of a stone in a series of stones all with a hole drilled in em)
Maybe it's just me but all I can see is a cat
heh

I found a ND filter that fits the HA-2 adapter (43mm) and got to play with that yesterday

srw

I've also been playing with my monopod

(hey now....I heard that snicker...heh)

For this one I attached the GX100 to a monopod and extended it about 10 feet up in the air to get a different perspective, easy with such a light camera

W

wbrandsma

Gorgeous work Shawn. The first and second photo are really good. Thanks for sharing!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I finally felt well enough today to get out and give the GX-100 (that I bought here from Clay Stewart) a try. There were only cloudy skies and tornado warnings and the rain finally came pouring down and ended my session.

It is really a fun camera to use. I am used to the rangefinder focus and handling, so I have a lot to learn about shooting (and processing) these files. I've not had a point and shoot camera for about 7 years and they have really improved since then.:clap: Here are a couple of my first tries. I used C1 and JFI profiles to process them.

W

wbrandsma

Hi Cindy. I really like the first one of your last post. All the textures work so good in B&W.
This image (RAW) was edited with Lightzone.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
This image (RAW) was edited with Lightzone.

Wouter,
Very dramatic! I like this one.

I haven't tried Lightzone. I'm going to stick with Lightroom and C1 (and CS2) for now.

I'm just trying to get used to using a P&S. I read the manual, but it took a day of shooting to figure it all out. Now I have the GX-100 all set to work well for me. It is quite different than shooting a rangefinder or dslr.

Maggie O

Another fantastic run of photos!

So, the Ricohs produce .DNGs that C1 can read? Aw man, y'all are killin' me here!

jonoslack

Another fantastic run of photos!

So, the Ricohs produce .DNGs that C1 can read? Aw man, y'all are killin' me here!
And Aperture can read them too . . . . .
but are they as good as the D-lux3 files . . . . Maggie, I don't think so.

Will

These are all really impressive images. It makes me want to get my GX100 back and use it again. I lent it to a friend who wanted to try one out before they decided which camera to get as a companion to their DSLR.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I know nothing about these cameras, but am liking what I am seeing, for sure. Can someone explain the "Step zoom" function? Or is this simply a four-position zoom on the GX-100?

I can't wait for Sean to finish his reviews of these cameras; I am trying to decide between one of them and the Panasonic LX2. Cheers, kl

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi Kit,
The step zoom is just 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 72mm.
Sean has a full review of the GX-100 at his site. I bought mine to complement my M8, MP, 400D kit. I was looking for a small camera to carry with me all the time. I thought the functionality of the zoom was more important to me than the possible superior lens of the GR2, which is a fixed 28. Adapters can be used on the GR2 to acheive 21mm and 40mm, but at the price of small size.
BTW, I'm not finding the lens of the GX-100 wanting. It suits my purposes.

Daniel

the zoom option is there for me, but i rarely go beyond 24. most of the time i keep forgetting that i have the option to zoom. instead, i'd habitually either move come closer or move further away from the subject to frame. it's one of my favorite cameras. very capable too!

JDavila

Hello all,

I just joined the Ricoh Gx100 family!!!!! Better late than never.
Posted these in another thread with the exception of the last one. There will be more to come :) The last one is called Paranormal

JDavila

Thanks for the warm welcomes. To be honest with you It was your photos that inspired me to purchase the GX100, so thank you.

Do you carry a tripod every where you go? If so, any suggestions on a good light weight one? and where is the last pic located that there are so many bikes? Great shots.