The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

W

wbrandsma

On Ricohforum.com is a thread about writing speeds for various SD/SDHC cards.
I personally prefer the 2Gb Sandisk Extreme III card.

K

Kiri

Here is my first attempt at converting to a B&W image:

You can see the original colour version here

I used the lab color method posted here
And also added my own curve adjustment layer.

I may have made it a little dark in some areas, but it was kind of difficult to find a balance between detail and contrast.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Any feedback is most welcome :)

PS: Thanks for the link on memory cards Wouter

PPS: Please click on the attached thumbnail image to see it in proper quality. For some reason I couldn't put the picture in the message and had to add it as an attachment..

Last edited:
K

Kiri

2nd attempt:

Original

Tried to keep this one a little lighter in the shadows.

Once again, any feedback is welcome

T

The End Of Print

What an awesome little camera the GX100 is!
Thought i'd post up some of my very first images with it, was at my folks this weekend so they fell victim to my first test shots after reading the manual.

The last shot is back in edinburgh in my living room, just wanted to test out the lens i bought on ebay for my GX100.
The lens is a 16mm!!!! Nikon WC-EC8, it fits onto the GX100 using the HA-2 adapter and a 43-46mm step up adapter. A heavy wee lens, but it gives AMAZING wide angle perspective without distorting straight lines. impressive, eh?!
I got this lens for £32 from ebay and it came with a nikon adapter that i dont need but should be able to sell on ebay for £10. which means il have got the lens for £22.
WELL worth the money!!

DavidE

That last shot with the 16mm lens is really something. Talk about peripheral vision.

Reminds me of the Van Gogh interiors that have a wide-angle perspective, especially this one:

W

wbrandsma

What an awesome little camera the GX100 is!
Thought i'd post up some of my very first images with it, was at my folks this weekend so they fell victim to my first test shots after reading the manual.

Congrats with your camera! And the last photograph is fantastic. It looks very good.

W

wbrandsma

Here is my first attempt at converting to a B&W image:
And a very good one Kiri. The lab method is interesting, but there are so many approaches in Photoshop for converting. What about add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and set the blending mode to color. Again add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and change the saturation to -100. Now return to the first adjustment layer and drag the Hue slider either to the left or to the right and see how it affects your B&W conversion.

Here some outings from today in the Zoo, although I absolutely am no fan of Zoo photography.

Photographed Primates

Primate Shadow

K

Kiri

And a very good one Kiri. The lab method is interesting, but there are so many approaches in Photoshop for converting. What about add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and set the blending mode to color. Again add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and change the saturation to -100. Now return to the first adjustment layer and drag the Hue slider either to the left or to the right and see how it affects your B&W conversion.

Hey Wouter, thanks for the tip, I will give it a try and see how it turns out.

I love that 2nd photo with the monkey silhouette BTW. Its both cute and ominous at the same time ;)

JDavila

Glad to see this thread is still going strong.

I waited 5 minute until he finally jumped over these kids but got it!!!!!!

I cant wait to be able to play with these in raw when I get the proper software. Yes Wouter.............. I still have yet to get CS3.:angry:

Great shots from everyone.

jeff

JDavila

Thanks Wouter, the first one is my favorite one as well. I'm glad to see you pulled yourself out of your comfort zone and your trying new things.

I like the shot you took of the Lemurs shadow the best.

Cheers
Jeff

T

The End Of Print

My HA-2 adapter came today so I can now attach the 16mm Nikon WC-EC8 lens to my GX100.

I've taken some photos today with it on my lunchour. Im soo looking forward to getting home after work to see what the pics are like big.

I'm sure you'll agree the GX100 looks a BEAST with this lens attached.
The lens is actually HEAVIER than the camera lol.
What's the weight of the ricoh 19mm lens like?

JDavila

Hello TEOP,

I noticed that you have not done the necessary modification to your HA-1 hood and Nikon lens. Without these modifications you will(as you now know I'm sure) get a strong vignette. So in fact to get a clean shot free from vignette on the corners of your pic you would have to shoot at 19mm.

My advice to to you is this, check out the thread: Report on mounting Nikon WC-E68 on GX100 and you will get a clear understanding on how to proceed with the alterations. Read it all very carefully.

I have modified the WC-E68 for fun and can now shoot at 16mm but It will take some work and allot of patients. I also bought a 15mm Voigtlander finder to get the 100% field of view when using the 16mm.

Good luck

Jeff

K

Kiri

What about add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and set the blending mode to color. Again add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and change the saturation to -100. Now return to the first adjustment layer and drag the Hue slider either to the left or to the right and see how it affects your B&W conversion.

OK, Here is my attempt at using the hue/saturation style. It was really quick, and seemed to turn out pretty well. I also added a curves layer for some extra contrast and adjustments

helenhill

My HA-2 adapter came today so I can now attach the 16mm Nikon WC-EC8 lens to my GX100.

I've taken some photos today with it on my lunchour. Im soo looking forward to getting home after work to see what the pics are like big.

I'm sure you'll agree the GX100 looks a BEAST with this lens attached.
The lens is actually HEAVIER than the camera lol.
What's the weight of the ricoh 19mm lens like?

A MEAN MACHINE ;)

Best, H