The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

W

wbrandsma

I know some of us use the Ricoh GX100 as well. So I thought it would be good to start a new thread for this cam here.
This cam has designfeatures of the GRD, but has a 24-72 mm zoomlens that you can use as a step zoom (24-28-35-50-72mm).

cam

you can have your own thread as long as you allow those of us that don't have one to lurk ;)

speaking of which, i want new photos from you!

S

Sean_Reid

I tested that camera earlier this year and was very impressed with it.

Cheers,

Sean

W

wbrandsma

Of course you can lurk in this thread :) and like Sean Reid said: he was impressed and so am I. I'm also very impressed with the GRD and GRD2 though (still own an older GR1).
In the meantime another photo with the 24mm lens.

I would love to see some work from you as well ;)
By the way Sean. I understood you are (going) to test the GRD2. I'm very interested in your outcome and findings and how the new GRD2 compares to the GX100/GRD.

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Wouter,

Yes, I started testing it last week. The increase in speed (RAW) is the most exciting difference. I'm also now in contact with Ricoh Japan, discussing these cameras.

Cheers,

Sean

srw

Well, ok first post
Hello

Got a GX100 about 2 months ago and really like it so far.
I'm still new to the digital realm (especially processing and editing) so looking forward to learning more about it here.

Here's a couple shots

W

wbrandsma

Excellent work srw. Good B&W images. I have my GX100 since June and it worked fine for me. Had some problems also. Only once the lens got stuck, but taking the battery out and in again did the trick. I also had darkspots on photos halfway August during my holiday. After my holiday I contacted Ricoh customerservice and the camera was sent to them. Within 3 weeks had my camera again and the replaced an lens assy. No problems since then.
I'm looking forward to your findings Sean. I was already excited to have a raw speed of 6 seconds with the GX100 (Sandisk Extreme III).

M

Mitch Alland

Impressive pictures, Wouter and srw! From the comparative shots I've made and from general experience with the GX100, it seems to me that it's a bit softer than the GRD/GRD2 cameras, but its RAW files take aggressive sharpening quite well. This raises the questions that perhaps Sean's tests will answer: at which point in terms of print size will the extra sharpness of the GRD2 make a compelling difference? You see, I like to print big and have made some 100x133cm (40x52 inch) prints with the GRD. I hope to make some large GX100 prints later this week, when I get back to Bangkok. Two GX100 pictures:

—Mitch/Huahin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/sets/72157594271576097/show/

S

Sean_Reid

This raises the questions that perhaps Sean's tests will answer: at which point in terms of print size will the extra sharpness of the GRD2 make a compelling difference?
—Mitch/Huahin

And first we need to know how much of a resolution difference there really is between the two, at various apertures. Your comparison suggests that the GR2 has a higher contrast lens, which creates the illusion of higher resolution, but which also lessens effective DR but raising the noise floor. I have a hunch that GR 2 lens might tolerate smaller apertures better than the GX100 lens but I'll need to test to see. If I recall, you've been using the GX-100 a lot at F/5 - F/5.6 and its soft there because of diffraction. The GR 2 may be different.

I've requested the GX-100 test camera for comparison and will do the comparisons when Ricoh sends me the "40" add-on lens - maybe next week.

If a lens responds particularly well to sharpening, that suggests that resolution, but not necessarily contrast, is good. The increase in local contrast (sharpening) can make that resolution more apparent but, as we know, it can't actually ever add resolution.

Cheers,

Sean

M

Mitch Alland

...If a lens responds particularly well to sharpening, that suggests that resolution, but not necessarily contrast, is good. The increase in local contrast (sharpening) can make that resolution more apparent but, as we know, it can't actually ever add resolution...
Sean:

Yes, a good example of that is the picture of the building above, in which I would have liked more texture in the (light) wall facing us, but it simply isn't there — and I think would have been there with the GR-D.

—Mitch/Huahin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

S

Sean_Reid

Sean:

Yes, a good example of that is the picture of the building above, in which I would have liked more texture in the (light) wall facing us, but it simply isn't there — and I think would have been there with the GR-D.

—Mitch/Huahin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/
Hi Mitch,

I'd have to see the original but it looks to me like that wall falls a bit outside of the DOF. The sign shows detail (but, of course, we'd need to look at full size JPEGs to know).

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

I know what you mean. One can forget that there even are depth of field limitations with these cameras but they're still there. And if one is really looking critically at resolution with a SSC, even a small focus shift will change everything.

Cheers,

Sean

C

Chris

I am a newbie in the world of compact cameras with more possibilities of manual control. Before I bought a GX100 a few weeks ago, I just had a Canon Ixus. Obviously, one cannot compare these two cameras and it opens me a new world of possibilities. I can say that I am very satisfied with the Ricoh.
I mainly like to take street photographs. With the Ixus it was often impossible to take pictures because of the relative darkness in some small streets of Sevilla (at least at some hours of the day). The GX100 allows me to take pictures during much more time of the day. And I love the snap focus, the little delay of taking the picture after pressing the button and the wide angle.

The only problem I have had so far is that the camera gets stucked sometimes (but I am sure that this is just because I used a memory card that still had a picture of the other camera as with the other memory card this has not happened).

This is an example of a picture that would not have been possible with the other camera.

Best regards,
Chris
http://flickr.com/photos/21306283@N05/sets/72157603384457352/

Last edited: