The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100

pollobarca

Wouter , All,
can we rename the thread GX100/GX200. I look forward to seeing Wouters
GX200 pix. BTW was that an offer by Ricoh to upgrade your camera? They should do anyway with all the cameras you've helped sell! Great Pictures .
I see your first GX200 one, Wouter, on Flickr too:bugeyes:

b rgds

paul

W

wbrandsma

Thank you Paul! Such great service by Ricoh. Their service team reguested their headquarter to replace the camera. I was just so suprised and pleased that they sent me the GX200.

Excellent idea by the way for suggesting renaming this thread into GX100/200.

Cheers,

F

flagger

Yet another GX100 pic.. this time my first online post here. 180secs to capture the moment and my, does nature choose her moment...
Start of a storm over Monroe, WA USA 5am :D

Regards to all, esp the usual suspects

V

virge

This is a great thread, but I don't have a Ricoh GX100 anymore. Last week Ricoh replaced my camera for a Ricoh GX200, after I had another dust particle in the lens (third time).

I just wondered how common the dust problem is. I'm awaiting delivery on a GX100 after reading so many good reviews and seeing those superb images. UUnfortunalely, I didn't peruse the forums, and have since discovered a few of you who have experienced these dust issues.

I really wanted the EVF and that was a big motivator in getting the 100, as it was US$175 less than the 200 without EVF. I have the option to return at this point, no harm no foul. I would like to determine if this is isolated, or a common flaw.
Any feedback iis much appreciated.

W

wbrandsma

Welcome virge,
There are no accurate numbers. I have had some issues with dust, but I know severable users who never have had any problems.

I spoke with a Ricoh representative at photokina and he said that the HA-2 adapter and an UV filter is the best option to protect your camera.

And dust is not only a Ricoh problem. Canon has had its share of dust problems too with their Powershot G-cameras. And best of all, there is an example of the new G10 on the Japanese Canon website that shows a dust spot. There is a dustspot near the chimneys on the building on top of the hill, see here.

Robert Campbell

There was a discussion here a few months back about dust and small sensor cameras. My wife has an oldish Canon Ixus 400 which has a major spot in the 'sky' area - I have been totally unable to shift it. And of course, the cost of servicing would buy several new cameras. Disappointing to see the dust spot in the new G series picture.

I don't know if Ricoh are any better or worse than other manufacturers; I have the feeling that it is the retractible lens mechanism that sucks dust in, and as most small cameras have this, it's likely to be common enough across the board. [And perhaps similarly, for DSLRs with extending/retracting zooms].

V

virge

Re: Ricoh GX100 dust issues

I appreciate the feedback. I actually returned the GX 100 not due to dust, but a hot pixel issue. I am planning to try a GX200 and get the lens adapter and hood.