The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus XZ-1 Samples

ustein

Contributing Editor
When I ordered my XZ-1 nobody told me that I also need a horse :). B&H should clearly list this on their camera accessory list.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Retow - Uwe
In the UK the Xz-1 comes with a free horse, together with riding lessons :)

Actually, photography from a horse is a bit of a challenge, damned things won't stand still, and there's not much scope for a tripod! You can usually only use one hand as well (at least, I can only use one hand :ROTFL:) On the other hand, 8ft up is a good place to be.

I've tried several different cameras - I've been told in no uncertain terms that anything bigger isn't okay, and the Olympus does work pretty well, using Aperture priority and keeping the shutter speed up.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
... using Aperture priority and keeping the shutter speed up.
I used to think in a similar manner until I started shooting motorsports. Then suddenly one day, my brain told my hand: "Hey guys, that's what shutter priority is for." Although the more predictable results can seem a bit more boring sometimes, I do get more keepers :toocool:

jonoslack

I used to think in a similar manner until I started shooting motorsports. Then suddenly one day, my brain told my hand: "Hey guys, that's what shutter priority is for." Although the more predictable results can seem a bit more boring sometimes, I do get more keepers :toocool:
Of course - you're quite right, I'll try it (not that my horse riding quite amounts to motorsports :ROTFL:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>In the UK the Xz-1 comes with a free horse, together with riding lessons

Did not know and you have free medical anyway :)

jonoslack

>In the UK the Xz-1 comes with a free horse, together with riding lessons

Did not know and you have free medical anyway :)
Right - doesn't stop it hurting though . . and there's no cure for being spatchcocked!
There's no fool like an old fool:loco:

jonoslack

This was from this morning's walk - dark and grey, and those swans were very cross - still, camera worked splendidly:

les

When I ordered my XZ-1 nobody told me that I also need a horse :). B&H should clearly list this on their camera accessory list.
Uwe,
Not your fault, Jono could perhaps have been specific - this is a huge new segment starting with 'What kind of Horse best fits the XZ-1?'

Note to Jono from Arfur Dailey :

I see a huge new market here my son, needing at the very least a How To Book. The vast Kelby Empire are also bound to be in touch, they're all over any new trend. Webcasts, Lecture Tours, Presentations...(is your Passport up to date?)
Then there's Luigi - he'll probably want your input on a nice new half case, in matching Saddle Leathers. You might also think about a booth at the Horse of the Year Show. Think you should clear your diary sharpish......
Arfur

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe,
Not your fault, Jono could perhaps have been specific - this is a huge new segment starting with 'What kind of Horse best fits the XZ-1?'

Note to Jono from Arfur Dailey :

I see a huge new market here my son, needing at the very least a How To Book. The vast Kelby Empire are also bound to be in touch, they're all over any new trend. Webcasts, Lecture Tours, Presentations...(is your Passport up to date?)
Then there's Luigi - he'll probably want your input on a nice new half case, in matching Saddle Leathers. You might also think about a booth at the Horse of the Year Show. Think you should clear your diary sharpish......
Arfur
Great business ideas.

Photo not XZ-1 though (visited a Rodeo practice :))

Paratom

sooo-any more experiences with the XZ-1?

Still anybody here rating it the compact with "best" IQ?

I am close to getting one. I need a small camera where I am not limited to 35mm FOV.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
sooo-any more experiences with the XZ-1?

Still anybody here rating it the compact with "best" IQ?

I am close to getting one. I need a small camera where I am not limited to 35mm FOV.
Well Tom,

since I have the XZ-1 I have almost never used any of my other cameras again. Or at least I can say that the XZ-1 makes the most fun. And fun would not exist for me without exceptional IQ!

So make your own conclusion :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
I never use something like "best IQ" because this depends on too many things. But if it comes to IQ, size, price and usability (for us the EVF ranks high) this camera is hard to beat.

Lili

The fast lens, superb IQ if shot in RAW, and excellent UI make it one my favorite cameras ever

jonoslack

I'm with Uwe - 'best IQ' is something to reserver for an IQ180 (not that I have one).

But as everything is some kind of a compromise (including an IQ180), the little Olympus seems to be a very good kind of a compromise.

Here are a couple of shots from this morning:

ustein

Contributing Editor
Here is my choice of cameras

1. iPhone 4, but then of course I am missing a real camera (not with Hipstamatic though)
2. XZ-1 no regrets
3. GH2 it is getting a bit better but also bigger (no action)
4. 60D bigger again, but nice for action and the 100mm Macro is my favorite. Also optical viewfinders rock.

Uwe

jonoslack

Ok, I think I want one. Thank you for posting more very nice images. Color looks pretty good!
Hi Tom
It'll never replace your S2 :ROTFL:
or our M9s:loco:
But it's fun, and produces good results.
The Viewfinder is worth having.