The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fuji s6000fd parade 2007

smokysun

looking through old files i came across these:

www.pbase.com/wwp/fujiparade

this camera is a delight to use: 10 optical manual zoom, writes raw twice as fast as the digilux 2 with an xd H card, and is great in lowlight (same sensor as the fuji 31fd/30 which i have). they once sold for less than $300. don't know where you might find one now.

that said, the images are different in that they tend to stress flat areas of color and be more like 2 dimensional paintings. they really perk up with increased saturation, though these are jpegs straight from the camera with minor sharpening added. the look might not appeal to everyone, definitely distinctive.

ps. just read in a kodak photo composition book that people generally get better by shooting the same subject over and over. this is the fifth time with this parade, a different camera each time.

Last edited:

Lili

Charly, great shots.]
I agree totally with your assesment of the camera. The sensor gives very pleasing color, the jpeg engine, esp at low ISO gives results I find hard to beat using RAW. It even gives my K100d a very decent run for IQ as well, and that is high praise indeed!

ecliffordsmith

Hi Wayne,

Another nice shot, the camera appears to be something of a bargain. While I do not pretend to keep up with all the going ons in the digital camera world I have not really heard about this camera. It is interesting to hear about the responsiveness too, something that has always been lacking in bridge camera sector in opinion.

This picture seems very sharp, did it need a lot in PP or does the camera naturally sharpen its JPEG's a lot?

Lili,

Very nice theme progression!

Lili

Hi Wayne,

Another nice shot, the camera appears to be something of a bargain. While I do not pretend to keep up with all the going ons in the digital camera world I have not really heard about this camera. It is interesting to hear about the responsiveness too, something that has always been lacking in bridge camera sector in opinion.

This picture seems very sharp, did it need a lot in PP or does the camera naturally sharpen its JPEG's a lot?

Lili,

Very nice theme progression!
It was as close as I could come, no parade shots in my arsenal, but quite a few aircraft, living as I do near Dallas Love Field ;)

pollobarca

Nice pictures Wayne, Lilli the A/C is very good. Never easy to get a good
picture of an aircraft landing or taking off. Mainly because the areas good for photography are also good for rocket launchers....and closed off. As well as requiring a fair deal of patience and timing.:clap:

Another sort of "parade" 25th April in Seregno and Milano. Taken last year with my Olympus c5050z. This years parade I missed as I was tied to a hospital bed... So I couldnt try out my Ricoh GX100 on the parade.
The Olympus does a very nice job with good light.
All photos are Jpeg from the camera.25th April is liberation day here.

rest of the set:-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/sets/72157600059117333/

b rgds

paul

Lili

Paul, thanks so much!
Lovely Parade shot, I keep seeing very nice work done with the Oly C series, and this is right up there with them.
Tied to Hopsital Bed?
Hope things are better now?
HUGZ

smokysun

hi lili,
nice shot. glad to have another fan of the camera.

hi paul,
love a parade! you can take pictures without anybody asking why.
as for the fifty-fifty, you might be interested to know a famous magnum photographer has used it to great acclaim: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844

hi ed,
here's another jpeg straight from the camera (the firetower where i work) without any extra sharpening applied. looking at other raw files, they are definitely not as sharp. they do take sharpening very well.

best to all,
wayne

Last edited:

pollobarca

Thanks Wayne,
I think Majoli is using something else now but he used to have two 5050 round his neck to get over the write speeds. Shot only in Jpeg too.

brgds

paul

Lili

Wayne, thanks, sorry to have got your name wrong, DOH!

Paul, I have read that Marjoli is using Leice M8's now

smokysun

hi lili,
his use of the m8 might be a rumor! it just doesn't seem built for this kind of work. leica has gotten late into the digital game and it may take them awhile to catch up (as nikon finally has with canon).
interestingly, the first review i read of the s6000 said the raw files just matched the jpeg files in the fuji f20/30/31. thought i'd shoot a few with the f30 today. a result below(the view from my front door). it's very fast after using the d2/g3. easy to get spoiled.
best,
wayne

Last edited:

Lili

hi lili,
his use of the m8 might be a rumor! it just doesn't seem built for this kind of work. leica has gotten late into the digital game and it may take them awhile to catch up (as nikon finally has with canon).
interestingly, the first review i read of the s6000 said the raw files just matched the jpeg files in the fuji f20/30/31. thought i'd shoot a few with the f30 today. a result below(the view from my front door). it's very fast after using the d2/g3. easy to get spoiled.
best,
wayne
Wayne,
In regards Majoli's m8 use or lack thereof, I have no clue if it is true or not. Never having used or handled the M8 I have no idea how well it would suit a War Correspondent or not. Never been in a War Zone either so I've little idea as to exactly what would!
;)
The little Fuji's are very quick to use and can produce wonderful results (like your shot here).
I miss my F31fd sometimes (gave it to my Best Friend).

smokysun

hi lili,
according to a fellow on the leica forum it was told as a joke on photo.net then repeated as gospel! but who knows? i'm curious because i'd like to believe we can all do without dslr's (though i have two and two dozen lenses). it's so much fun to do a lot with a little.
this is a great documentary on a war photographer: http://www.amazon.com/War-Photograp..._bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1213806650&sr=8-1
really tough scenes but the photographer heroic in the way we'd all like to believe a photographer can be.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp
ps. here's another from the f30. turns out the f30/31 worth a lot more now than when new...

Last edited:

Lili

according to a fellow on the leica forum it was told as a joke on photo.net then repeated as gospel! but who knows? i'm curious because i'd like to believe we can all do without dslr's (though i have two and two dozen lenses). it's so much fun to do a lot with a little.

Well we DO know he used the Olympus Bridge cameras, so that fits with a non-DSLR usage. He quite liked them for their silence and inconspicuous nature, not mention live view nad pivoting dsisplay, all classic smallls sensor camera advantages :)

this is a great documentary on a war photographer: http://www.amazon.com/War-Photograp..._bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1213806650&sr=8-1
really tough scenes but the photographer heroic in the way we'd all like to believe a photographer can be.

James Nachtwey is Legend indeed!
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp
ps. here's another from the f30. turns out the f30/31 worth a lot more now than when new

I kniow that quite well...now :(

pollobarca

When will Olympus give us another camera like the c5050z , with all the latest
frills of course ?
I tried the 560uz and was not impressed. Seems the 570 is better but still
allows only the XD card and no swivelling LCD. I chose the Ricoh GX100 over the latest Olympus offerings but I still think the C5050z is a better all round camera (shame 'cos the GX100 has the better lens and knobs etc and is a joy to hold and use) with the biggest advantages being the fold out LCD,CFcard,zooming optical VF,metal body,AA batteries, pixel mapping, Overall image quality - but the disadvantages are its old and will eventually give out on me:cry:, no IS, size (not a big deal), no histogram in full manual , no highlight of overexposure, small LCD, not so good knobs (vis the GX100) and a poor quality fragile mode dial/power switch.
The big gripe with the Ricoh is the noise and hot pixels (which could be so easily handled with pixel mapping).But its a camera that makes you want to use it.Its always with me like my watch and works very well.Its a classic along with the C5050z.
I will be sending my Oly for a complete check up , I've noticed the sensor sometimes does strange things (mine is not on recall list so I reckon its just
normal wear n tear). Theres some dust on the sensor too I think. Otherwise its still great.
BTW megapixels dont count, wish some one would have the courage to make
5mp cameras again with all the latest tecnology.

Alex Majoli was also using e330.Unable to see what he uses now. His photos are great though and he could most probably get great shots with a biscuit tin and a bit of black tape.
b rgds

paul

smokysun

hi lili,
i suggest you pick up the f20: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/fuji_finepixf20.asp
it's the same camera without aperture and shutter priority. i find i'm shooting in program a lot these days and leaving the depth of field to post-processing. costs about a hundred dollars.

hi paul,
what about a second 5050 as a backup? at 1.8 it has the fastest lens ever on a compact camera. about 200 dollars like new in the us. i've done that with the sony 717, the canon g3, and the fuji compacts (one f20, 2 f30, and one f31fd.) i realized the small sensor cameras were only going to get worse, if speedier in operation. these cameras are all gems. (the d-lux 2 has developed a spot of dust on the sensor and the d2 i just got back from germany with a new sensor also has a dust spot on it! didn't discover it until i got up here and started shooting blue skies. also when i first bought them, 800 and 1300 dollars, i almost cried at the build quality. for that kind of money i expected something a lot more solid. the g3 built as good as any digital camera except those over 4000. rather disillusioned with leica at the moment.)

thanks for the description of the ricoh. i notice most of the people who really like it shoot b&w where noise isn't an issue. though i will do b&w too, i absolutely love color and keep trying to conquer it. the fuji's can be shot in 800 iso safely, and even 1600 may save the day.

i agree about majoli. i think his book leros the modern classic in b&w: http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Majoli-L...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213845289&sr=8-1 probably shot with the 5050.

just back from an evening walk. mosquitoes with a vengeance. but i like this one of the lupine. f30.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

pollobarca

Beautiful picture Wayne.
A second C5050- maybe an idea. Here in EU about 200 euro on e bay.
The fixed fee for getting my c5050 up to scratch is 150 euro.
To be looked at.

I love the Ricoh colours BTW. And with good light , or good exposure, the noise is not a problem. Twilight is not a good time for the GX100 though.

b rgds

paul

Lili

Paul, I have never seen any hot pixels with my GRD, not even on long exposures at high ISO. Is this a known issue with the GX100?
Wayne, Nice shot again! I am actually thinking a LOT about the now heavily discounted finepix F50fd. I far prefer having at control over at least the apeture (and so the shutter speed).