The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fuji s6000fd parade 2007

pollobarca

Lili,

hot pixels are a problem with all cameras and maybe the GX100 has a few more problems because of the noise issue and the fact that people are too busy looking for defects. But Ricoh could remove a lot of the issue with pixel mapping. As could all manufacturers. With a night time sky shot I got far more than stars from the Gx100. I did send files to Ricoh service.They said my camera was borderline for the amount of hot pixels. It hasnt worsened or bettered since. Ricoh did offer to look at the camera but I decided to live with it.I dont think my pictures have suffered at all. Well I dont shoot night skies.... Plus I can use the dark frame in UFraw if needed.
That said the last time I ran pixel mapping in my Olympus C5050z the hot pixels remained. :(

b rgds

paul

Lili

Paul,
Yes, hot pixels can occur in all cameras, especially with long exposures esp with high ISO's.
My S6000fd produces tons of them under such conditions. Using a lower ISO helps a lot.
My DSLR, a K100d, does a second,dark frame exposure to map them out on shots like this.
Cameras with live preview, and especially small sensor ones all suffer from this since the sensor is in continuous use right up to and through the exposure and heats builds up.
Oddly, I have never seen any 'sparkles' with the GRD on long exposures.
I suspect it too does a Dark Frame exposure/subtraction on long shots.
I do know that a 30 second exposure seems to take far longer than 30 seconds, the shutter is too quiet or simply does not trip on the second exposure for me to be able to tell for sure.