The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Latecomer

C

Chuck A

I have always been a latecomer and this time is no different. I finally broke down and bought a GX100. I know that I said I would wait for the GX200 but I got it at a great price and figured WTH. Waiting till fall to see what Ricoh brings out just seems so far away and I wanted something new to play with this summer.

Now I have to sell my LX2 - any interest?

C

Chuck A

Hi All,

I see that many of you are looking at my post but I haven't gotten any replies so I thought that I would reply to myself.

The GX100 should be here Friday. I am getting excited for it's arrival and have been reading everything that I can find from users of this camera. :)

The only reasons that I didn't buy it in the first place was the RAW write times and the lack of a 1:1 RAW format. But when I weighed the reasons to buy against these two problems I finally found that I just couldn't pass it up. I have been looking for a small serious compact for years. The closest camera I found was the Panny LC1 (delightful lens but just too large, an incredible camera with a few problems otherwise) and the LX2 (fantastic lens but no viewfinder, no 1:1, no step zoom). I have discovered that I MUST have a viewfinder or the option to easily add one. No holding the camera at arms length for me. The 1:1 square format is a great added bonus too. I can get around the lack of RAW in this format. Maybe Ricoh can add RAW 1:1 to the firmware at some point. I worked with a TLR for years. I have been waiting forever for the perfect compact and even though one might show up this fall I just couldn't wait any longer.

This http://flickr.com/groups/seriouscompacts/discuss/72157605687135206/ was pointed out on Amin's blog and really struck a chord with me as I have usually worked with one camera and very often one lens combination for long periods of time. It was interesting that this article came along as I have been doing some serious thinking on this subject lately.

My search for the perfect compact has taken me from camera to camera and I think that this has hurt my photography over the last few years. My current stable includes:
1) Pentax K10D with 18-55 AF, Sigma 24mm f/2.8 MF, Pentax 28mm f/2.8 AF, Pentax 35mm f/2.8 MF, Pentax 50mm f/1.8 MF.
2) Panny LX2.
3) Panny FZ7 long zoom.
4) Fuji F20 for a high ISO small family camera.
5) Pentax ZXn film camera.
6) Olympus Stylus Epic.
7) Olympus RC rangefinder.
8) Olympus RD rangefinder.
9) Yashicamat TLR with a broken shutter.

I think I got the majority and some of them are going to go. But I have tried and sold at least 4 to 5 compact digitals that I did not list over the last 3-4 years. Also, the film cameras are not getting used much anymore. (Laziness I guess.) I will not sell everything but some housecleaning is in order.

Before I bought my first digital back in 2002 I used a Yashicamat TLR, Leica M2 and a Pentax SLR with a 50mm lens for most of the 25 years of my photographic career and was pretty happy with them. I would work with one camera for long periods of time and got to know them very well. All of this digital hopping is not a good thing for me. I need to settle down with one camera for a while and be happy with it. Looking for the perfect digital has to stop for a while.

So my thinking was to forget about the perfect compact for a while and use the GX100 for the majority of my work for an extended period and see how it goes. I think that the GX100 can work for me. At least that is what I am hoping. I don't have it in my hands yet but I feel that I know it pretty well from the multitude of reviews and user reviews that I have read. I am very familiar with cameras and photography. So as I take inventory of what I really want in a compact here is what I find in no specific order.
1) RAW ability.
2) Option for a good viewfinder.
3) very sharp lens.
4) Decent sensor to make 11x14 to 13x19 prints with.
5) Small and light.
6) Easy to access the main photographic functions (this is where the LC1 and Digilux 2 excelled). I don't want to be fumbling with controls to make simple adjustments. Sean Reid's review of the GX100 really covers this well.

Thanks for listening.

kevinparis

welcome here...

girlfriend is a ricoh fan.. though she sticks to the fixed lenses of the GRD.. and produces great shots with it.. Believe the GX100 shares a lot of the same values

Me I bought a Canon G9... it has a OVF .. but is not great...and in the end dont use it much... the VF i mean otherwise a wonderful camera. Meets all your criteria apart from the VF... but in its defense does have a great LCD.

there are smatterings of examples on my flickr page

cheers

Kevin

C

Chuck A

I have given serious thought to the G9. It looks like a great camera. In the end the 24mm end of the zoom and the step zoom won me over. I think the GX100 is a bit smaller and thinner as well.

Terry

Enjoy your new camera. I recently got a GRD. Every small camera I have other than this is a zoom and I decided a prime lens on a small camera could be a lot of fun. I think Ricoh is miles ahead on how they set up cameras with the twin wheels, buttons that can be customized and my settings.

Enjoy it!

C

Chuck A

Enjoy your new camera. I recently got a GRD. Every small camera I have other than this is a zoom and I decided a prime lens on a small camera could be a lot of fun. I think Ricoh is miles ahead on how they set up cameras with the twin wheels, buttons that can be customized and my settings.

Enjoy it!
Thanks for the reply. Ricoh really seems to have it on the ball with the design of these cameras. I have worked with primes for many years but the 28mm FOV of the GRD is just a bit wide as a prime for me. But I have seen some great work from the folks here using it. The GX100 would seem to be a good fit for me. I can use it as a prime at the focal lengths I like and still have the option to go wide when needed. The step zoom seems like an exciting option. We will see.

It is the kind words and excellent posts from folks like you on this and some other small sensor forums that convinced me to take the plunge. I love the lens on the LX2 but the lack of a viewfinder makes it difficult to use for me. I have tried hard but just can't seem to make the leap to using the LCD as a finder. I am excited to get the camera.:D

W

wbrandsma

I think that is an excellent choise Chuck. The GX100 is a great camera. Especially the versatility with the zoom lens and the Ricoh user interface. I honestly never used the camera without the step zoom.

Have fun and hope to see some photographs from you soon.

Cheers,

C

Chuck A

I think that is an excellent choise Chuck. The GX100 is a great camera. Especially the versatility with the zoom lens and the Ricoh user interface. I honestly never used the camera without the step zoom.

Have fun and hope to see some photographs from you soon.

Cheers,
Thanks for the encouragement. I have been inspired by the GX100 thread. There are lots of great photos in there. I especially liked your photo of the horse with it's head out the window on page 5. Just lovely.