The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX200 is here!

Terry

I am impressed with Ricoh!

http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php/weblog/comments/ricoh_gx200/

Added a great RAW buffer 5 shots continuous!

here are some highlights:
• Expanding buffer memory has made continuous shooting of up to five images possible in RAW mode, and it is also now possible to use the bracketing function to automatically change exposure settings when shooting in RAW mode. Other expanded RAW shooting capabilities include the ability to shoot 1:1 aspect ratio (vertical/horizontal ratio) format photography in RAW mode.
• The number of mode dial “My Settings” options for defining your own shooting settings has increased to three. (There were two on the Caplio GX100.)
• There are now one-push mode change function buttons both on the top surface and as one of the rear-surface cross keys. These buttons can be used for customized settings to, for example, to switch from JPEG to RAW or from colour to B&W. You can switch quickly to your preferred shooting mode when confronted with a sudden photo opportunity.

On the down side.....
They went to 12mp

V

VladimirV

It is, like the GRD II, a "minor" upgrade so that people who already have the GX-100 don't feel left out and a need to upgrade. The new accessories should also work on the GX-100 since there would be no reason why they shouldn't.

Depending on how the final image quality is it does seem to be the better option compared to the GRD II, more so than the GX-100 was compared to the GRD I.

Overall I was hoping for more, like a faster lens or weathersealing. Shame it lost the phase detection and still has the rocker switch instead of a wheel at the back.

Seems like a solid enough camera but I wonder how it will fare against the Panasonic LX-3 and Canon G10 once they are announced. The RAW buffer and excellent 24mm lens should help it to compete.

Due to the RAW buffer it is more "a compact camera with the power of a dSLR" than the DP1 is, unfortunatelly the IQ is not quite there.

W

wbrandsma

OK, I might have my doubt with the 12 MP pixels, but the GX200 doesn't seem like a minor upgrade to me. Many of the new features, like 1:1 RAW mode, extanded buffer memory for continuous shooting of up to five images possible in RAW mode, bracketing mode in RAW too, flash compensation are things owners of the GX100 asked for.

Terry

OK, I might have my doubt with the 12 MP pixels, but the GX200 doesn't seem like a minor upgrade to me. Many of the new features, like 1:1 RAW mode, extanded buffer memory for continuous shooting of up to five images possible in RAW mode, bracketing mode in RAW too, flash compensation are things owners of the GX100 asked for.
I'm with you. There seems to be enough there to warrant giving and upgrade serious consideration.

V

VladimirV

With minor upgrade I meant that while the new features are great and I like them on the GRD II, they are not huge so you have to upgrade unless you need the RAW buffer or 1:1 RAW mode.
I still use my GRD I alongside the GRD II because it has some unique features not available in the GRD II and even with the RAW buffer, leveling system and 1:1 RAW mode it does not really make up for the useless jpg engine and lack of focusing speed in good light. This seems to be the same with the GX200.

P

Prognathous

On the down side.....
They went to 12mp
They also dropped the phase-detect AF sensors and replaced the GX100 JPEG processing with the mushy Smooth Engine III.

Other than these three, it looks like a decent upgrade.

Prog.

pollobarca

All,

looks like Ricoh read these forums. heres another link:-
http://www.justnow-press.de/showPrArticel.cfm?nArticelId=341&nLanguageID=2

I see that the lens cap LC1 opens automatically in synch with the lens.
Also a 135mm equiv. telephoto adapter. Both can be used with the GX100! Must sell the LC1 as an accessory- I thought LC1 was drinking Yoghurt...

The flash is properly made now too. Slow curtain 1 and 2 as well as EV control.

That distortion correction is only for business cards or have they started to get
some perspective correction? Increased memory buffer, etc etc etc. I think my daughter may have a GX100 to play with soon!

b rgds

paul

Terry

Two interesting bits of info off the Ricoh site:

1.They specifically mention high signal to noise ratio so perhaps it is an improved sensor

2.Noise reduction is user controlled. The regular on/off is there but in addition you can keep it off at low ISOs and have it kick in at high ISOs. This actually could be interesting depending on how brutal the "Smooth Imaging Engine III" is.

charlesphoto

Never understood this 1:1 thing. Why not just crop? Also wouldn't that make it like a 6-8 mp file?

Looks like a decent camera but I haven't drunken the p&s kool aid yet and won't this time around either. Will be interesting to see what Leica/Pana have up their sleeves. Canon/Nikon have to take a look at Ricoh/Sigma and realize people want wide. 37mm or whatever the G9 is is not wide (and it has awful distortion at that). Give me a good 24-70 f2.8/4! The Sigma DP1 sounds ideal to me if it wasn't for the awful UI. I won't even go there no matter the file quality just because of that. Maybe DP2?

Lili

Two interesting bits of info off the Ricoh site:

1.They specifically mention high signal to noise ratio so perhaps it is an improved sensor

2.Noise reduction is user controlled. The regular on/off is there but in addition you can keep it off at low ISOs and have it kick in at high ISOs. This actually could be interesting depending on how brutal the "Smooth Imaging Engine III" is.
Terry I saw that.
If one could completely turn off NR, ala' the first gen GRD, that would rock.

A

asabet

Pretty much agree. It pretty much addresses everything I would have hoped for as someone who was basically happy with the GX100. They also added the same kind of "expanded dynamic range" function everyone else is using to good effect, though this isn't of value to a RAW shooter. The PhotographyBLOG samples show impressive detail capture with the new 12MP sensor.

Terry

Never understood this 1:1 thing. Why not just crop? Also wouldn't that make it like a 6-8 mp file?

Looks like a decent camera but I haven't drunken the p&s kool aid yet and won't this time around either. Will be interesting to see what Leica/Pana have up their sleeves. Canon/Nikon have to take a look at Ricoh/Sigma and realize people want wide. 37mm or whatever the G9 is is not wide (and it has awful distortion at that). Give me a good 24-70 f2.8/4! The Sigma DP1 sounds ideal to me if it wasn't for the awful UI. I won't even go there no matter the file quality just because of that. Maybe DP2?
Yes, you can simply crop later but I really like composing in square when I want it to be square. It is nice to see what you composed on the computer screen.

I too am waiting to see what Leica serves up at Photokina. The reason I am enthusiastic about Ricoh is that they have got the UI right. If you could marry what they've done with a big sensor it would be amazing. I am not waiting for the DP2. After reading and absorbing a lot of information on the DP1 and SD14 the detail Foveon may capture is impressive but I have no desire to deal with the weirdness it also brings to the table.

Lili

Well I have "drunk the Kool-Aid" and drunk deeply.
I am very interested in this one if the NR can be controlled!
But I am waiting till I find if Sigma will improve their UI as well ;)

P

Player

Lili, I think that NR will always be applied to JPEGS, even when it's turned off, and you'd need to shoot RAW to have none applied. Ricoh could surprise us though. You never know with that company.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a slightly better companion to the GRD2, not sure I will spring for it since I hardly use the GX100. Love the GRD2 though! On a side note, would be nice to have a 50mm version of the GRD2 :)

P

Player

Looks like a slightly better companion to the GRD2, not sure I will spring for it since I hardly use the GX100. Love the GRD2 though! On a side note, would be nice to have a 50mm version of the GRD2 :)
AND a 75mm version of the GRD2. :toocool:

Lili

Lili, I think that NR will always be applied to JPEGS, even when it's turned off, and you'd need to shoot RAW to have none applied. Ricoh could surprise us though. You never know with that company.
Sure Player, the GRD first gen basically used no NR. Of course the GRD II seems to actually apply NR to RAW which bites given the RAW buffer speed increase.
Maybe the GX200 has the ability to have no NR in RAW?