The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX200 is here!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I just don't understand with programs like Lightroom and Aperture etc. why you would shoot jpegs these days.
I have a little Canon Selphy 730 printer. It's a little 6x4ish dye sub with PictBridge that will run off a battery. Retractable mini USB cable that plugs straight into the camera. It's perfect to bring to a party or event and make prints for people on the spot. The GX100 can print directly to it, but only from JPEG. The solution here though, for me, is to shoot an intermediate size JPEG alongside the RAW. My JPEG settings are adjusted for the printer. I always shoot both since in the situations where I'm likely to have the GX100 I'm also likely to want to give people prints or JPEG files on the spot. Most people don't expect much, and a 1-2MP JPEG is plenty. If they want more I can always email the good stuff later.

I suspect though, that the GX200 JPEGs will be just fine for small prints like this.

I would certainly never shoot only JPEG...

I know it's sacrilege, but I would really have loved to have PictBridge in my Leica M8 as well.

N

nei1

It seems that the higher iso settings are not so good but thats unavoidable I would have thought.Im wondering if the optional finder had been made b&w and to a higher resolution it might have been better recieved. Neil.

P

Prognathous

I wouldn't worry about high-ISO. Using RAW, it's possible to get image quality that is no worse than any other small-sensor digicam. For better quality, you'll need to use a DSLR anyway.

http://imapnet.com/boren/GX200_HighISO/
(check out the files at the bottom of the page for high-ISO images downsized to DP1 file-size).

Prog.

N

nei1

This is probably very stupid but could the ricoh,eg,be adapted to be a b&w camera where every sensor is just measuring intensity instead of working in groups of three to guage the colour.Wouldnt that make a super quality b&w camera; sorry if this is rediculous,just out of interest,Neil.
Im used to carrying around two cameras,an M4-2 for B&w and an m6 for colour(Im going to start using the m6 for b&w as it hardly gets used)so taking a couple of ricohs for a walk would be no effort at all.

Last edited:
A

Arch

It seems like one of the most interesting, if not revolutionary, features of the GX200 has been somewhat overlooked: the in-camera distortion correction. If it really means barrel distortion correction, as I suspect and hope, it makes the GX200 the ultimate architecture compact camera in the market (as the GX100 has been until now). The electronic lever doesn't harm, either.

Some Nikon compacts have had in-camera correction for a while, but none of them have RAW. Maybe the new P6000 has both?

If anyone already has a GX200, I would be very pleased to hear how its distortion correction works in practice. How much does it affect the viewing angle? Any increase in file size, like in barrel correction software?

E

edslaughter

Arch,

My GX200 just came. According to the manual, Distortion Correction doesn't work with RAW or the JPEG recorded with RAW. There are other caveats:

-Distortion correction may change the angle of view.

-DC won't apply if conditions don't warrant it, even if enabled.

-DC won't work with continuous or movie shots

-DC doesn't show up when you review shots on the LCD.

I just did a very quick and dirty test shooting a wall at 24mm f.l. I did two JPEGs, one with, one without distortion correction. DC really did straighten out the "barrel" distortion at the edges. I made no accurate measurements, but to the casual glance things are nice and straight.

As to file size, the DC jpeg was actually slightly smaller than the uncorrected one, but since I wasn't using a tripod the images weren't exactly the same so I don't think I can draw any conclusion--other than that the difference, if any, was small.

Since I shoot only RAW I'm not likely to spend much time with further experiments.

Regards,

Ed

A

Arch

Thanks a lot for the info, Ed!
A shame that the GX200's distortion correction doesn't work with RAW. It is also very strange, since DC is a feature for advanced photography, which means RAW. Luckily there are simple, well working and inexpensive software around, such as LensFix and PTLens, which are camera and lens specific (unlike the PS DC filter). GX100 is included in both.

naoip

Picked up the GX200 early its in my mitts :D...

Impressed with the new features,build quality seems the same as the GX100..Just a tad nervous about the info ive been reading about the noise...Will get out and take some pictures tomorrow..

I was wondering if Tom's advice about the Ricoh R8, would work for the jpeg on the GX,this seems to be getting the more negative comments....

I loved the Grd I and kind of regret selling it,but i found a lot of my pictures were blurry...I tend to take candid stuff (wing and a prayer)with it set to snap,and i'm moving as i take the shot,so i'm hoping the anti shake will kick in with the GX,were see..

On another note its as loud as the GX100 imo..

And dumb me i thought the new lens cover was inbox,but in the UK its a extra, not sure if thats standard??

Last edited:

naoip

Ok now i'm going to look a total nut,i took the GX back on the 30 day guaranteed return plan...

It was a great camera but the truth of it is,whyyyyy did i sell my Grd :rolleyes:

Jessops here in the UK are still selling the last few for £190...So the GRDi is back in my hands,and to be honest it feels perfect,what was i thinking :p

I couldn't afford both,due to a laptop purchase,so the GX had to go..I replaced my laptop with a black Asus Eee 900,nice combination with the Grd :salute: