The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shots of a smoky sun

smokysun

on sensors i read a year or two ago kodak had made a break-through. perhaps that was just wishful thinking!

hope you enjoy the s6000. as i've said i use lightroom (and just bought lr 2). however, lili might be right. using the finepix converter might give different results. i'll have to give it a try. usually i jump from lightroom to paint shop pro and go from there. here's another sample.

back from four days off. still fire glows in the night and lightning predicted tomorrow.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

sizifo

on sensors i read a year or two ago kodak had made a break-through. perhaps that was just wishful thinking!

wayne
The 4/3rds stuff sounds like the breakthrough.

Just one more question for you and/or Lili (or any other s6000 shooter). The camera should arrive in a day or two, and I want to be ready to take photos. It won't come with a card and batteries though. Do you have any tips for a fast card for raw, good set of batteries?

Lili

The 4/3rds stuff sounds like the breakthrough.

Just one more question for you and/or Lili (or any other s6000 shooter). The camera should arrive in a day or two, and I want to be ready to take photos. It won't come with a card and batteries though. Do you have any tips for a fast card for raw, good set of batteries?
If you plan to shoot RAW, avoid the Type M XD cards, get the Rare and more costly Type H's.
It cuts RAW write times from 8 seconds or so to just under 4.
Any good NiMH rechargeables work well, eneloops are best :)

smokysun

second lili's suggestion. amazon has the H cards(1 or 2 gigs). also get a sandisk card reader. much, much faster than going from the camera. second the enloop batteries and recommend the maha charger. these batteries last a long time, but i'd suggest a backup set. the battery door cover has to click in place. i've never had a problem with mine. also you can download the latest fuji converter from fuji. go to their site. if you have lightroom, you're already covered. fuji keeps promising a codex so the raw can be viewed in windows photo library. so far only the thumbnails can be read. to really bone up read the threads on the fuji forum at www.dpreview.com
let us know how it goes and if you have any more questions
ps. there are some neat tricks i've only recently discovered. read the handbook for little details.

Last edited:

sizifo

second lili's suggestion. amazon has the H cards(1 or 2 gigs). also get a sandisk card reader. much, much faster than going from the camera. second the enloop batteries and recommend the maha charger. these batteries last a long time, but i'd suggest a backup set. the battery door cover has to click in place. i've never had a problem with mine. also you can download the latest fuji converter from fuji. go to their site. if you have lightroom, you're already covered. fuji keeps promising a codex so the raw can be viewed in windows photo library. so far only the thumbnails can be read. to really bone up read the threads on the fuji forum at www.dpreview.com
let us know how it goes and if you have any more questions
ps. there are some neat tricks i've only recently discovered. read the handbook for little details.
Thanks a lot guys. The camera should arrive friday, and I'll get these accessories tomorrow :)

Lili

Heavily cropped, say 50%
S6000 RAW done with Finepix Studio
Not the most elegant of backgrounds, but the light in her eyes....

28mm EFL F2.8, 1/3 sec, ISO 100, handheld but braced on floor composed uisng LCD

smokysun

fantastic eyes! (i'm a cat-lover) just tried the super macro. here's what i got from a stamp. hand-held. would be sharper with tripod. not cropped.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Lili

Very very good Macro Wayne!
It is kinda sad to admit, but as much as I love the results my K100d prduces, its so much more fun working with the GRD or the S6000fd.
Plus, for web viewing or normal size prints, there is little if any qualitative difference

Last edited:

smokysun

thanks, lili. i suspect most of us will never make big prints, or prints at all, of most pictures. the web seems to be our gallery and museum. take a look at

http://www.amazon.com/Nash-Editions...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218125975&sr=8-1

it shows what modern digital printer pros can do with all kinds of material, much of it inferior like old photo snapshots redone (that's how graham nash got into the business).

for the most part we emphasis equipment over vision. i'm as guilty as anyone. it's fun to explore new machines and products. at some point it seems best to stop and really discover what we already have can do.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Lili

Yes the Latest and Greatest may be fun, but it is far more productive to actually work with what we have and produce images from hearts, mind, and eye.
Plus, like you mentioned earlier, one learns the designers of these older cameras included a lot of tricks and features.
Great fun that is :)

Oh and that book ROCKS!!!

smokysun

thanks, lili. it's fun to try and see with the eyes of a child. (for example, dozens of dragonflies flitting outside my windows. they must have just hatched. too fast for the camera, alas.)

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

smokysun

looks like i've used up all my picture space. any way to remove old ones and make room for new?
thanks,
wayne
www/pase.com/wwp

smokysun

ah, i figured out how to delete them! so i've removed a bunch of the earlier ones. however, i've posted them (and more) at www.pbase.com/wwp/smoke these include ones never posted here.

okay, several new ones. last night's moon. one of the litter shots (the b&w) redone when it blew off the road couple of days later. and clouds from last week. hope you enjoy them.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Lili

Wayne, both of those are really cool :)
Were they done the S6000fd and RAW?
If so what software?

smokysun

hi lili,
yes, both with the s6000 and raw. i download with lightroom 2 and then usually save the ones i like as tiffs without doing anything in lightroom. my poison of choice is paint shop XII (it will not read the raw .raf files, alas) and most of the time i use efex pro 3 as my processing plugins. the efex has a wonderful range of things and i find it a lot easier and more interesting than even the lightroom presets i have (numerous). i do a lot of experimenting and tweaking til i get something i like.
efex at http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php? they've a demo and if you qualify you can get an academic discount at www.creationengine.com or www.academicsuperstore.com
hope that helps.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. i am a plugin collector. check out www.thepluginsite.com

Lili

Thank you Wayne.
Since the Fuji does RAW so much faster than my GRD, I am using it a lot now and shooting RAW exclusively.
Not posted anything yet but getting to where I soon will be.
It is...different for me.