The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shots of a smoky sun

smokysun

they say ten years of practice and study to become a good photographer. probably an examination of the great ones in history would show it to be true. guess this would include art classes and so on. lartigue seems to be the only boy genius. they also say almost all the benchmarks in photography have been made by professionals, people who made a living at it one way or another. perhaps that really focuses your energy. nothing like the need of a meal to really put you to work. the last chapter on dispelling photography myths alone worth reading.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. one thing that has struck me: a unique project seems to be the best basis for making your mark. lartigue, for example, as a boy was fascinated by people and man-made things in motion, as well as fashion, and he lived in an age which had a very appealing style. this latter is what makes to many photographers travel. our everyday clothes look pretty dull! still, there are plenty of unusual stories right on our doorstep. real characters pop up everywhere. and our towns all include interesting decay. martin parr is a good example of someone who uses common camera stock to photograph seemingly ordinary people gorging themselves on food. our world looks pretty lurid through his eyes.

Last edited:

smokysun

sudden weather change forecast. a day of cleaning house. after throwing out a pickup-load of stuff, i felt like the one-handed juggler over my stove.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Lili

Nice shots Wayne :)
10 years is it? I've been shooting film for 10 years ;) and digital for 3 ;)

smokysun

just had a spine-tingling experience. the rain coming down, first time in more than six months, surrounded by fog (clouds), i discovered old family photographs (my mother's side) in this bag, appropriately labeled.

this wouldn't be so important, except all our old family albums burned up in my sister's house a few years ago, probably fifty of them.

i'm stunned by how important these old pictures feel. i'm sure i stashed them about 1970 and hadn't seen them since.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

smokysun

i will, lili, thanks. here are some monster rocks below the tower. almost an inch of rain during the night, but no snow. the wind really rocked the building in the wee hours!

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited: