The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shots of a smoky sun

smokysun

hi lili,
all's well here. indian summer. very pleasant after four of the coldest nights i've ever spent on a lookout. the northwind sucks all the heat out of the tower. the weather can turn on a dime this time of year.
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. read somewhere that astrologically this full moon supposed to bring a lot of turmoil. magnificent up in the western sky before sunrise.

smokysun

hi bertie,
checked the original and a couple prints from last nite. i think you may be right. i'm not after strict realism, but the haloes compete with the moon and should be toned down. thanks.
here are a couple more pics from last evening: figure in the fossil rocks and aztec angel in the road.
the little lake down the hill is surrounded by boulders from the sea bottom and full of shells, etc. mysterious to find at seven thousand feet.
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. i have to keep removing earlier pictures to make room for new ones. you can see the whole series at

www.pbase.com/wwp/smoke

Last edited:

Robert Campbell

Your last two are impressive - though I might be inclined to crop out the 'globe' bottom right in the second.

Your pic of the watch tower reminds me of other fire watchers. This is the cathedral in Bern, Switzerland. Where the covering over the scaffolding begins - going upwards - there is a look out platform - and an apartment/flat - which is still lived in. Originally, it was for the watchman on fire duty. This residential firewatcher seems to have been quite widespread in Europe in the past.

smokysun

hi bertie,
i can't get the picture to show. i'd really like to see it. japanese cities used to have a lot of watch-towers because of their wooden houses. portugal, turkey, they've still got firelookouts, australia and new zealand too. it's a very long tradition.
speaking of berlin, i just ran across an old picture of the art student i met in florence, and whom i then visited in berlin. 1965. this made me go back and live in berlin the next winter, though she'd returned to hamburg. (later we met on the island of rhodes and later she became a character in a novel i wrote: www.pbase.com/wwp/greece )
about a month ago i googled the place i'd lived and blast if i couldn't zoom right in on it. it looks fancy, but it was a half-basement room looking into the grimy courtyard and i had to carry bricks of coal on my back to heat it. there's more to that story too, but i'll leave it for another time!
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Robert Campbell

hi bertie,
i can't get the picture to show. i'd really like to see it. japanese cities used to have a lot of watch-towers because of their wooden houses. portugal, turkey, they've still got firelookouts, australia and new zealand too. it's a very long tradition.
speaking of berlin, i just ran across an old picture of the art student i met in florence, and whom i then visited in berlin. 1965. this made me go back and live in berlin the next winter, though she'd returned to hamburg. (later we met on the island of rhodes and later she became a character in a novel i wrote: bout a month ago i googled the place i'd lived and blast if i couldn't zoom right in on it. it looks fancy, but it was a half-basement room looking into the grimy courtyard and i had to carry bricks of coal on my back to heat it. there's more to that story too, but i'll leave it for another time!
best,
wayne
Sorry about that - Imageshack is a bit unreliable at times, and it seems to have disappeared from there. Try again:

Just about every town in Switzerland seems to have burnt down at some time - and quite a few several times - they were all wooden then, and many towns still have a lot of wooden houses. There was a poignant memorial in Grindelwald a year or two to the great fire around 1884 - but incongrously placed next to the celebration of the inaugauration of the fire brigade a year later..

Your pic of Berlin shows the typical courtyard house - I imagine it was a bit grim.

smokysun

hi bertie,
ironically, watch-towers not really passe in even populated areas. when i worked at lake tahoe, the lookouts saved many a house. and even ground reports might be off by thirty miles. last year a fire right below one of the abandoned lookouts i had manned burned 250 very expensive homes. early reports called it a 'control burn' so the response wasn't immediate. a mile from the old tower, an observer could have gotten them going a lot quicker.
here are a few more infrared pics from last night (with the fuji s6000 and a hoya 76 filter). i call them 'among the old ones.'
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

smokysun

to find out if your camera is sensitive to ir shine a tv remote control at it. if you can see the red light, then you're home free. the fuji sensitive, as are cameras like the nikon 995 and the sony 717 which has an ir setting (great camera, everyone should have one).
what's nice is that ir 'makes the familiar strange' as tolsoy said was the object of art.
here are some from this evening:

buddha plays a video game

aliens

samson: eyeless in gaza

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. i actually have a 72 hoya, 62mm with a 58 to 62 step-up. just by luck this prevents vignetting wide-angled.

Last edited: