The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shots of a smoky sun

smokysun

thanks, bertie. yes, hard to separate fact from fiction in the present scene. as long as plenty of people believe in an illusion, it will pass as a truth.
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

our young self never really leaves us

Last edited:
S

SimonL

Great series of self portraits Wayne, never seen anything quite like it. Superb.

smokysun

thanks, simon. three years ago i spent the summer up here doing a self-portrait project. you might get a kick out of them (best watched as a slideshow). www.pbase.com/wwp/self

just looked through your people, streetphotgraphy, and coastal colour galleries. i especially liked the street shots. you've a very sympathetic eye for people.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

smokysun

thanks, lili. went out last night with the xti plus 50mm 1.8 for a change of pace. this combination, ironically, very close to the d2 and s6000 in size but it weighs twice as much. for a dslr it is pretty quiet. the small sensors actually record a lot of detail, if you pull it out. the xti a bit more and also you can play with depth of field much more easily. however, the self-portrait project mentioned above shot totally with a 4 mpg canon digital elf. the computer on the desk-top becomes simply an extension of the computer in the camera. every part of the picture can be changed, without necessarily losing the sense of it being a photograph (though i blur the distinction all the time and i think we should stop calling it 'manipulation' with all the negative connotations that implies). i still love classical photography, especially black and white. here are a couple of examples from the bigger sensor. do they seem any different?

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

pontiac indian hood ornament

locust

Last edited:

smokysun

here are a couple more comparison shots with the xti and a leica R 75-200 lens mounted with a confirmation adaptor.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp[/url healthy mt. lassen

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Oh, hell, Wayne.
I hope you are not a creature which goes into hibernation for the winter. Your images are some of the funniest, most interestingly manipulated story telling pics around. I trust you are able to continue posting once you have descended into the madness that lies down in the lower altitudes.
Good luck with the move.
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

smokysun

thanks, gandolfi! let's see if i can come up with something for halloween. it's been fun doing this thread this summer. going out to take some last pics in a few minutes. i'll see if i can find something worth posting.
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. just heard someone wrote very explicit graffiti on the abandoned lookout at argentine peak. a crew going up in the morning to take pics (sorry i can't send you any) and paint it out.

Last edited:

smokysun

alas, even in paradise. i ran across two of the species devouring the planet (both reveal an inner emptiness that can never be filled).

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

infamous bagworm

pupa

Last edited:
N

nei1

2nd work inthis last set superb but love looking at them all,hope all goes well downstairs,all the best ________ Neil.