The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone ever gutted a P&S to mod it?

RichA

Has anyone ever chopped the cheap zoom off a P&S and installed a manual lens? Successfully? If so, which camera?

Pat Donnelly

There are Japanese, (of course!) practitioners of this art. He had inserted an 8mm lens into a very non-descript digicam, presumably to attain practice before doing it to his Leica P&S....

The best camera for this is the cheapest one bought off the auction site with a dodgy lens only. Then carefully rip it off. No need to thank me ..... You might want to buy two or three unless super confident! I would recommend a screw mount, for focus correction, given the tiny distances involved? So those cheap c mounts that are not much use on a m4/3?

Hope I have goaded you enough to try it? ;-)

L

luznoi

I tried and do not recommend it. I think I'm pretty handy but it was more difficult than I thought would be.

pollobarca

You could trim a Ricoh lens tube to add a Nikon wce68 to the GX100.
I took 3mm off the tube. Works some. But others file off a bit of the
nikon converter to totally remove vignetting. You end up with a 16mm wide angle equivalent on the GX100.
Anyone ever tried to make a sensor angle so that you end up with a shift lens?

B rgds

paul

M

monkeini

I'd love to see some attempts at this. The problems are numerous, but include the tiny sensor in cheap-enough-to-chop-up compacts producing a prohibitive focal length multiplier, tiny tolerances at this scale, and the lack of focus aid on cameras designed to be used solely in auto focus.

I did attempt to build a "£50 full frame digicam" once. It consisted of an old Powershot, a Yashica FX3, and a finely cut ground glass screen. Needless to say, it has hardly compact, and was very hit and miss!