The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GRD vs. GRD III & Durability

jmooney

I'm looking into getting a GRD or GRD III for a pocket cam and I'm wondering how their durability is because when I say pocket cam, I literally mean it'll be in my pocket on a day to day basis to be used in a "Leica Like Manner." Are they durable enough for this type of use? It's going to be set for B&W JPG 99% of the time, any reason to spring for the III over the I? Is there that much difference in the color side for the 1% of the time I'd use it? Any difference in their durability?

Any info is much appreciated

Jim

L

luznoi

There are differences between them but durability isn't one. I would say, lens speed, operation speed and noise characteristic are the big differences. If you are not all set on the ricoh, I would also look at the canon 90/95. The canon has IBIS and a zoom when needed while the GRDs has a better lens and better IU.

Tim

Hi Jim,

Some GRDIs have suffered a failure of the jog dial/wheel at the back of the camera. Some people have reported this on the Ricoh forum although I have not owned a GRDI it seems to be worth watching out for as any used GRDI's may have the problem. Ricoh can of course repair the camera.

Visit http://ricoh-gr-diary.blogspot.com/2009/12/ricoh-grd-iii-review-part-1.html for Cris' review on the GRDs - he as owned all GRD models. He noted that the LCD coating scratched easily on his GXR review page and I think the GRDIII has the same type of LCD coating. You may want to invest in the usual LCD protection if the camera is going in pockets. Wouter Brandsma has an extensive set of images and experience with the GRDs as a street cam - http://wouter28mm.wordpress.com/. I'd recommend a visit.

I have a GRDII and a III and my GRD's are fully working but have had a "easy" life so far so I can't really comment on durability.

Many like the film grain like rendering of the jpgs from the GRDI so it has developed a bit of a cult status. You may be able to find a NOS GRDI but very few seem to remain. The GRDIII jpgs differ from the GRDI. New GRD IIIs are abundant at the moment and a good price. Some seem to think a GRD IV will be out later this year, but no one knows for sure??

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
My wife and I use the GX100,GX200,GRD2 and the GXR. We don't use cases and these are true pocket cameras. The GX200 LCD got punctured when I banged myself against something sharp on the car door. Now I use hard LCD covers which work really well.
All lovely cameras with great lenses and the best UI around.

Keith

Will

My GRD1 and GRD2 both suffered when they tried to extend their lenses whilst in my pocket. My GRD1 is now in genteel retirement after being repaired but I couldn't bring myself to pay the £125 it will cost to repair my GRD2 when I managed to get a new GRD3 for only £270
I will still continue to use GRDs as my pocket cameras though.

ywen

My GRD I has the jog ADJ dial problem.. it seems they all do.

From the info gathered on the 'net, it costs about $200 to have Ricoh replace the wheel assembly.. which pretty damn sucks for a camera that isn't worth $200 today...

Paratom

My GRD1 and GRD2 both suffered when they tried to extend their lenses whilst in my pocket. My GRD1 is now in genteel retirement after being repaired but I couldn't bring myself to pay the £125 it will cost to repair my GRD2 when I managed to get a new GRD3 for only £270
I will still continue to use GRDs as my pocket cameras though.
The same happened to my grd1 some years ago, however I spent the money for lens replacement!!! nearly as expensive as new camera at that time.
I guess this could happen to nearly every camera though.