Site Sponsors

Thread: Happy May Day ...

Post Thanks / Like

Happy May Day ...

Cheers from Leela and me ... I'm the one behind the DP2. I don't shoot with it too much these days, but still carry it when we're wandering around town and I'm travelling light. The restaurant gave me a chance to use it -- and it's still a fine camera.

I hope all is well with everyone.
    Don

D upton-Hackett.

Re: Happy May Day ...

Don.

Leela looks beautiful as every, happy may day to both of you.

Post Thanks / Like

dp2 is indeed a remarkable camera. Pleasing bokeh with lots of depth. Makes me want to go out and get one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D upton-Hackett. View Post
    Don.

Leela looks beautiful as every, happy may day to both of you.
    After that comment, I think we're going to assume that she's toasting you. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    dp2 is indeed a remarkable camera. Pleasing bokeh with lots of depth. Makes me want to go out and get one!
    It was shot at f/2.8.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Don, happy Cinco de Mayo! Does your comment that you're not using the DP2 much these days mean that you have found something you like better, or are you just shooting less?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Bill ... sorry for taking so long to reply. I just had four days off and didn't drop in here, or think anyone else would comment.

About a year ago, I bought a used Canon 5D and have been enjoying all of its advantages, which I don't think I need to enumerate. But every once in a while I need (or want to) travel without looking like an obsessed camera guy, so I just take the DP2 in a small bag. My shoulder likes it, Leela likes it, and I often get a nice photo in the bargain. Here's one that I took the other night on one of our walks ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ellis View Post
    Bill ... sorry for taking so long to reply. I just had four days off and didn't drop in here, or think anyone else would comment.

About a year ago, I bought a used Canon 5D and have been enjoying all of its advantages, which I don't think I need to enumerate. But every once in a while I need (or want to) travel without looking like an obsessed camera guy, so I just take the DP2 in a small bag. My shoulder likes it, Leela likes it, and I often get a nice photo in the bargain. Here's one that I took the other night on one of our walks ...
    Hi Don,

Sorry for my delay in replying. No excuse though, I'm just lazy.

I don't think I want to upgrade to a brick around my neck, so I guess I'll stick with my little cameras. Glad that you're enjoying the 5D though. I don't imagine you have any complaints about the IQ, even if it's not quite up to the level of the DP2!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bill,

I keep my brick in a bag -- and with a battery grip and L-bracket, it's a double brick. But I do occasionally like what it can do.

Still, I look back on all the photos I've taken with compact cameras and I really love them. If they can't capture certain things, so what? Capture other things.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ellis View Post
    Hi Bill,

I keep my brick in a bag -- and with a battery grip and L-bracket, it's a double brick. But I do occasionally like what it can do.

Still, I look back on all the photos I've taken with compact cameras and I really love them. If they can't capture certain things, so what? Capture other things.

Don
    When I realized that I was having more fun taking pictures with my iPhone than anything else, I decided there was no longer any point in pursuing camera technology. Whatever lets me capture an image I find pleasing is good enough for me. So now I have a bunch of rather expensive (for me) cameras sitting around collecting dust.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Don, great stuff.

Regarding the DP2...well...my signature says it all

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rawfa ... one of the continuing pleasures of the DP2 (or any Foveon chip, I imagine) is bringing a RAW file into Sigma Photo Pro and waiting those few seconds for it to turn into something. I learned long ago not to ever delete a RAW file in the camera based on what I saw in the viewfinder review. The transformation in the conversion process is often astonishing.

When I was looking to get a DSLR, I certainly considered Foveon, but for stock photos I have to deal with art directors who are look for sheer pixels and file size when making their decisions, so I went with Canon. But I kept the DP2.

Here's another shot I took the other day wandering around town at night. If nothing else, it's got color ... and the large image is lovely ... you can click the link for it ...

ProPhtogrphr

Love her nails paint.