The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Streetwork and the compact camera.

Lili

For me it is more being in the mindset of taking pictures and keeping my eyes open for interesting things around me. Sometimes it is just about being in the right place at the right time.

I guess if someone is bored, maybe they shouldn't be out there in the first place.
Love the juxtaposition, the irony of that image :)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Lili, what I mean by transitional images is this....

If you lay out your body of work say in a + pattern...at some point there might be an image that fits in but trys to speak a little more....that image usually leads to another avenue of approach in the body....that image also may lead to a different trigger that one wasn't aware of....

The irritant is about eye travel in the image....it's something usually not too important to the subject matter but yet drives the eye travel thru the image....

K

smokysun

here's baudelaire on the flaneur, words that certainly fit the classic street photographers like cartier-bresson, doisneau, frank, winograd, etc.

The crowd is his domain, as the air is that of the bird or the sea of the fish. His passion and creed is to wed the crowd. For the perfect flaneur for the passionate observer, it's an immense pleasure to take up residence in multiplicity, in whatever is seething, moving, evanescent and infinite: you're not at home, but you feel at home everywhere; you see everyone, you're at the centre of everything yet you remain hidden from everybody - these are just a few of minor pleasure of those independent, passionate, impartial minds whom language can only awkwardly define. The observer is a prince who, wearing a disguise, takes pleasure everywere... The amateur of life enters into the crowd as into an immense reservoir of electricity.

recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Doisne...bs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216229831&sr=8-4

one thing to consider: the classic guys have a point of view on life. for example, with the liberation of paris collaborators were hounded and cruelly exposed all over town. doisneau would not take pictures of this, cartier-bresson did. good street stuff says more than it seems.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
In VladimirV's image above the eye travels well, you get the story fast and yet the irritant is the space between the broken line on the right...that small area flows the eye....

shooter

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
A great book to read about understanding photographs and viewing them is...
Camera Lucida.......fast read but in the brain for life...

shooter

Lili

Lili, what I mean by transitional images is this....

If you lay out your body of work say in a + pattern...at some point there might be an image that fits in but trys to speak a little more....that image usually leads to another avenue of approach in the body....that image also may lead to a different trigger that one wasn't aware of....

I see, evolution in seeing as it were?

The irritant is about eye travel in the image....it's something usually not too important to the subject matter but yet drives the eye travel thru the image....

Basically the impetus that drives one too look at the whole?

woodyspedden

i think these discussions benefit from an historical perspective. here's the classic on this subject!

http://www.amazon.com/Bystander-His...d_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216221657&sr=8-1

it's interesting to see what's been done by the masters of the genre.

also, sean reid has a couple very nice essays on street work at

http://www.reidreviews.com/reidreviews/

it costs to join his site but well worth it.

here's one of my own favorite attempts:

www.pbase.com/wwp/peets

best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp
In my opinion, Sean Reid has a couple of good articles on almost everything we love and need. The man is uncanny at reducing issues to the core stuff.

I have no relationship with Sean, his Site etc. However I do think that what he does (for us) is spectacular in its value and at $35 per year a value hard to beat. JMHO

Woody

clay stewart

Is there any interest in streetwork? That genre' is my main sourse of energy to feed my soul. I have come to terms with the Canon G9 and the Leica D-Lux 3. Those 2 cameras for me are better than anything else out there.

I qualify that statement by adding that I have a 5D, D300 and an M8. I've been a Leica photographer for many years and now that I'm full digital, these 2 cameras are it.

Does anybody work in this Genre'? Is there an interest here?

Shooter
I would say street photography is probably my main interest. I do an occasional wedding, but I prefer not too, unless I'm just the candid man. Anyway, here's an ongoing gallery of mine. Not all with a small sensor camera, but I do prefer a small camera- currently the E420 w/ pancake and GRD2.
http://www.pbase.com/claystewart/street_foto

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Clay,
Thanks for responding. I consider all cameras small.
I guess it comes from working with my Deardorffs. I will check your gallery later. I'm out with the Blackberry.

Later shooter

Michael S

I consider myself a streetsnapper -- an enthusiast, not an artist. There are actually several good street photographers who post here. However, I agree with Pete that brand-based groupings aren't an optimal way to exchange and admire one another's street shots. (At least I think that's what Pete was saying back there.)

Most but not all of mine have been taken with compact cameras.

Quite a few are posted here:

http://www.flickrleech.net/user/sandbagm