Site Sponsors

Thread: Streetwork and the compact camera.

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Streetwork and the compact camera.

Is there any interest in streetwork? That genre' is my main sourse of energy to feed my soul. I have come to terms with the Canon G9 and the Leica D-Lux 3. Those 2 cameras for me are better than anything else out there.

I qualify that statement by adding that I have a 5D, D300 and an M8. I've been a Leica photographer for many years and now that I'm full digital, these 2 cameras are it.

Does anybody work in this Genre'? Is there an interest here?

Shooter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Streetwork and the compact camera.

hi shooter,
    i suspect you've opened pandora's box! most people here interested, i suspect, as the small sensor camera seems made for this kind of work. very nice shots on your site. i just re-read a book that's fairly scarce but very enjoyable and several copies available at amazon. grab it right away, if you want one.

http://www.amazon.com/Shots-Hip-Anot...6180284&sr=8-1

as for cameras, i did shoot a lot with the d-lux 2 and finally despaired of its low-light performance. now my two favorite cameras are the fuji 30/31 and the fuji s6000.

check out the threads on the ricoh's. this is turning out to be the choice of many people.

anyway, i'm glad you've started this thread. hopefully a lot of people will respond.

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a loose affiliation of about 20-30 people I stay in regular contact with who shoot street. You can find some ok stuff on PN - but most have migrated away to Flickr.

There is no tradition of posting pics according to genre on here yet- most of the attempts have been under camera type categories - which to any street shooter - is a total joke.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    ...- most of the attempts have been under camera type categories - which to any street shooter - is a total joke.
    I think that does not hold any water. Any photographer worth their salt cares about his/her gear. Some just pretend not to and just screw up one gear forum with talks of another brand.

I am for a separate category of whatever category of photos but not at the expense of some time wasters coming and bashing some brands or price category of cameras/gear. Things are excellent here as they are.
    Last edited by Vivek; 16th July 2008 at 01:40.

VladimirV

You have some great pictures on your site from the quick look I had (need to take more time for it).
    I think small sensor cameras are now what rangefinders used to be for street photography. They are small and silent, you look enough like a tourist so you can blend in very well. I noticed that using a rangefinder or rangefinder like camera causes more attention than when using a dSLR since everyone has either a compact or dSLR camera these days.
    The Ricoh GRD was the camera that got me into street photography since it is like made for this with the snap focus, appearance and controls. While the camera does not matter, the right camera makes it a lot easier to see and take the shots.

You can see some of my pictures on my blog and Flick page but I hope we will have a interesting discussion here regarding this.

Here one of my favourite shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    There is a loose affiliation of about 20-30 people I stay in regular contact with who shoot street. You can find some ok stuff on PN - but most have migrated away to Flickr.

There is no tradition of posting pics according to genre on here yet- most of the attempts have been under camera type categories - which to any street shooter - is a total joke.
    If this were a Street photography section of GetDPI your comment would have some justification, but it is the Small Sensor Camera section so camera/sensor type threads is pretty fundamental to it's purpose. Having said that there are any number of threads in here on a refreshingly diverse set of subjects, including some relating to 'street photography'.

Shooter
    You have some exceptionally good images on your web site (all of them actually). I took a long while looking through them this morning and found the experience quite humbling.

Some of mine (posted in other threads here before)

Last edited by Will; 16th July 2008 at 02:06.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks all for responding. It seems there's an interest here. I'm sure it would be more obvious if it was more open in another thread. Maybe in time. Thanks for visiting my site. It needs to be updated but my time goes mostly to making images for Warriors' Watch Riders.

The images some of you posted are good and proves that this Genre' still has promise.

Shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek

When someone ( anyone) shows me a street shot that can only be made with this or that or the other camera gizmo - I will be prepared to bow to that greater wisdom. In the meantime - excuse me for laughing my head off at such stoopid and clearly naive notions.

Regarding the forum being small format or whatever - I stand corrected. Actually I didnt notice the forum the post was made on - and just answered the gentleman's question - from my own (clearly mistaken) point of view.

btw - Mt 'street shooter' - I like a lot of your work on your site thanks for the link.
    Last edited by PeterA; 16th July 2008 at 04:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, I think you missed the point or I did. I don't remember seeing where the compact camera is THE only camera for street work. It's my preference and choice but certainly not the only way.

I'm gittin old my friend...maybe I missed somethin'...at least ya had a good laugh.

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I missed the point Don !

Post Thanks / Like

OK, looks like we should all be happy now and can get on with discussing the topic

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My choice for this kind of work is my GRD First Gen or my Hexar AF.
    I would love to see someone try Streetwork with a Speed Graphic tho

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speed graphic...hmmmm wonder if Walker Evans ever thought of that...kidding, it's really not about the camera as it is about the approach and attitude. Lil, your point is well taken, as technology catches up with camera design, it gets more exciting to hit the beaten path on the street.

I just love using the screen for framing an image. It translates the 3 dimensional reality into 2 dimensions very well...kinda like a Speed Graphic...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    My choice for this kind of work is my GRD First Gen or my Hexar AF.
    I would love to see someone try Streetwork with a Speed Graphic tho
    Well Lili, I think we might all agree that Weegee was a renowned street shooter and indeed he did much of his work with the famous old Speed Graphic. I guess that where there is a will, there is a way.

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, I know your interests and I am with you. I was merely pointing out a major pitfall.

If you haven't seen a recent thread on the leica forum (p.net) of a photo taken with a Canon QL17, you should and there you will see the redundant arguments again which are frankly tiring and serves no purpose.

FWIW, I use RF cams, TLRs, DSLRs and whatever I happened to carry for my snaps.

Don, Yes, thanks for you website link. I enjoyed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Speed graphic...hmmmm wonder if Walker Evans ever thought of that...kidding, it's really not about the camera as it is about the approach and attitude. Lil, your point is well taken, as technology catches up with camera design, it gets more exciting to hit the beaten path on the street.

I just love using the screen for framing an image. It translates the 3 dimensional reality into 2 dimensions very well...kinda like a Speed Graphic...
    Don, in many ways I can see the analogy to the Graphic, espically using the wire frame finder on one (i've a good friend that swears by 4X5 and his Graphic).
    As in most things in Life, Attitude is everything

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Well Lili, I think we might all agree that Weegee was a renowned street shooter and indeed he did much of his work with the famous old Speed Graphic. I guess that where there is a will, there is a way.

Woody

Arthur Fellig aka Weegee was a Streetshooting God!!!
    Well not a God perhaps, but his attitude and skills ruled.

Post Thanks / Like

i think these discussions benefit from an historical perspective. here's the classic on this subject!

http://www.amazon.com/Bystander-Hist...6221657&sr=8-1

it's interesting to see what's been done by the masters of the genre.

also, sean reid has a couple very nice essays on street work at

http://www.reidreviews.com/reidreviews/

it costs to join his site but well worth it.

here's one of my own favorite attempts:

www.pbase.com/wwp/peets

best,
    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyway, time to move this along. Let's talk about triggers. Do you have certain stimulants that trigger your vision.

Do you know how to spot trasisitional images in your body of work?

Do you know about the irritant in images?

Are you bored out there?

Hmmm what say you?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, time to move this along. Let's talk about triggers. Do you have certain stimulants that trigger your vision.

Light and patterns, it is not so much a conscious thing, a moment will just sieze my attention. I then try to reflect that in the photo

Do you know how to spot trasisitional images in your body of work?

Unsure what you mean? Changes in vision?

Do you know about the irritant in images?

Like theone thing that is out of place

Are you bored out there?

Hmmm what say you?[/QUOTE]

VladimirV

For me it is more being in the mindset of taking pictures and keeping my eyes open for interesting things around me. Sometimes it is just about being in the right place at the right time.

I guess if someone is bored, maybe they shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirV View Post
    For me it is more being in the mindset of taking pictures and keeping my eyes open for interesting things around me. Sometimes it is just about being in the right place at the right time.

I guess if someone is bored, maybe they shouldn't be out there in the first place.
    Love the juxtaposition, the irony of that image

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lili, what I mean by transitional images is this....

If you lay out your body of work say in a + pattern...at some point there might be an image that fits in but trys to speak a little more....that image usually leads to another avenue of approach in the body....that image also may lead to a different trigger that one wasn't aware of....

The irritant is about eye travel in the image....it's something usually not too important to the subject matter but yet drives the eye travel thru the image....

K

Post Thanks / Like

here's baudelaire on the flaneur, words that certainly fit the classic street photographers like cartier-bresson, doisneau, frank, winograd, etc.

The crowd is his domain, as the air is that of the bird or the sea of the fish. His passion and creed is to wed the crowd. For the perfect flaneur for the passionate observer, it's an immense pleasure to take up residence in multiplicity, in whatever is seething, moving, evanescent and infinite: you're not at home, but you feel at home everywhere; you see everyone, you're at the centre of everything yet you remain hidden from everybody - these are just a few of minor pleasure of those independent, passionate, impartial minds whom language can only awkwardly define. The observer is a prince who, wearing a disguise, takes pleasure everywere... The amateur of life enters into the crowd as into an immense reservoir of electricity.

recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Doisnea...6229831&sr=8-4

one thing to consider: the classic guys have a point of view on life. for example, with the liberation of paris collaborators were hounded and cruelly exposed all over town. doisneau would not take pictures of this, cartier-bresson did. good street stuff says more than it seems.

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In VladimirV's image above the eye travels well, you get the story fast and yet the irritant is the space between the broken line on the right...that small area flows the eye....

shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A great book to read about understanding photographs and viewing them is...
    Camera Lucida.......fast read but in the brain for life...

shooter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Streetshooter;40394]Lili, what I mean by transitional images is this....

If you lay out your body of work say in a + pattern...at some point there might be an image that fits in but trys to speak a little more....that image usually leads to another avenue of approach in the body....that image also may lead to a different trigger that one wasn't aware of....

I see, evolution in seeing as it were?

The irritant is about eye travel in the image....it's something usually not too important to the subject matter but yet drives the eye travel thru the image....

Basically the impetus that drives one too look at the whole?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by smokysun View Post
    i think these discussions benefit from an historical perspective. here's the classic on this subject!

http://www.amazon.com/Bystander-Hist...6221657&sr=8-1

it's interesting to see what's been done by the masters of the genre.

also, sean reid has a couple very nice essays on street work at

http://www.reidreviews.com/reidreviews/

it costs to join his site but well worth it.

here's one of my own favorite attempts:

www.pbase.com/wwp/peets

best,
    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp
    In my opinion, Sean Reid has a couple of good articles on almost everything we love and need. The man is uncanny at reducing issues to the core stuff.

I have no relationship with Sean, his Site etc. However I do think that what he does (for us) is spectacular in its value and at $35 per year a value hard to beat. JMHO

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread has gotten me to thinking (dangerous I know
    More later

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Is there any interest in streetwork? That genre' is my main sourse of energy to feed my soul. I have come to terms with the Canon G9 and the Leica D-Lux 3. Those 2 cameras for me are better than anything else out there.

I qualify that statement by adding that I have a 5D, D300 and an M8. I've been a Leica photographer for many years and now that I'm full digital, these 2 cameras are it.

Does anybody work in this Genre'? Is there an interest here?

Shooter
    I would say street photography is probably my main interest. I do an occasional wedding, but I prefer not too, unless I'm just the candid man. Anyway, here's an ongoing gallery of mine. Not all with a small sensor camera, but I do prefer a small camera- currently the E420 w/ pancake and GRD2.
    http://www.pbase.com/claystewart/street_foto
    Last edited by clay stewart; 20th July 2008 at 14:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Clay,
    Thanks for responding. I consider all cameras small.
    I guess it comes from working with my Deardorffs. I will check your gallery later. I'm out with the Blackberry.

Later shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here's one with my LX2

-sandy
    -----------------------------------------
    http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...another one...

-sandy
    -----------------------------------------
    http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like

I consider myself a streetsnapper -- an enthusiast, not an artist. There are actually several good street photographers who post here. However, I agree with Pete that brand-based groupings aren't an optimal way to exchange and admire one another's street shots. (At least I think that's what Pete was saying back there.)

Most but not all of mine have been taken with compact cameras.

Quite a few are posted here:

http://www.flickrleech.net/user/sandbagm