Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LX3 is here!!??

Post Thanks / Like

LX3 is here!!??

New Summicron f2 24-60 lens, 10Mp sensor with new Venus IV engine (YES!!), hotshoe for external flash and two new C1 & C2 (custom functions like in Ricoh´s compacts) in the mode dial!!

See for yourself here.

Best, Erik.
    Last edited by Photon-hunter; 21st July 2008 at 08:20.

wbrandsma

Re: LX3 is here!!??

This is not fake. See the dpreview information! This looks fantastic!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The picture may not be real but the camera is. See DPReview for the full press release.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well after reading all the specs they have ticked a lot of boxes but are totally silent on RAW speed or buffer which is odd.

Ok just went to the Panny site 3 shot RAW burst!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

specs on dpreview say raw buffer is 3 frames.

Post Thanks / Like

I received a link to that picture on saturday and posted it this morning. Just a little while after i posted it becale official!

Erik

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ho Hum
    Looks lovely doesn't it, the sensor would appear to be the same size as that on the GX-100.
    I'd expect there to be a Leica version of this as well.

Just this guy you know

nei1

Maybe this will make sigma pull out their digital finger.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Ho Hum
    Looks lovely doesn't it, the sensor would appear to be the same size as that on the GX-100.
    I'd expect there to be a Leica version of this as well.
    I'm still holding out for a CL but will give Panny credit for listening. Also a link to the panny site show a nice little half case and neck strap no long just one loop for the wrist. Every bit of the wish list from the posts after the D-lux3 was announced have been incorporated so now it comes down to IQ.

Post Thanks / Like

External accesory optical viewfinder, custom settings in the mode dial,well, it seems like Panasonic bought a subscription to Sean Reid´s review site...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    Pixel density will work out at 25 - same as LX2 and GX100
    (sensor is same size as LX2 as far as I can see).
    Not much of a shake up for Sigma! (pixel density is 1.6!!!)

Still, sensor design has come on in the last couple of years, so let's hope for the best.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see that it can play music with the slide show: "Just select the pictures you want to show and choose the mood that best matches your selection from natural, slow, urban or swing, and you'll get an emotion-filled slideshow with a variety of slide change effects and matching music without any annoying adjustments."

That means that I don't have to sing while showing photos, right? That does it for me. Where can I buy one?

Ok, ok... looks like a great little camera, and the leather casing is just too sweet
    I would have liked a lens shade though...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually,
    The pixel density might be slightly lower than the old model. The 10.1mp is at the 4:3 aspect ratio. At 16:9 I think it is actually only 8.8mp (3968x2232). The LX2 was 10mp at 16:9 (4224x2376).

praktinafan

I think the the optical viewfinder "DMW-VF1" will be a must-have for my GX100 :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The lens is fast at both ends, f2.0-2.8
    *swoon*
    AND they brag about lowering pixel density
    I hope they do well, end the MP WARS!!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    The lens is fast at both ends, f2.0-2.8
    *swoon*
    AND they brag about lowering pixel density
    I hope they do well, end the MP WARS!!!!
    Absolutely . . . as long as I can have my 24mp low noise sensor in a body the size of the OM1

Just this guy you know

Hypnohare

It sure looks nice, but I really wish it had a better user interface for manual photography. In other words they can keep the same specs, but the controls could of had the ISO Knob (like the Canon G9), a focus wheel (like the Sigma DP-1) and the Iris wheel and the Shutter Speed lever (like the Ricoh GR-II).

It seems most manufacturers try to dumb down user interface of their pocket cameras. Can't they realize that the real market for these expensive, high-end pocket cameras are the advanced photographers, many of whom are used to manual controls on their DSLRs?

Levent

www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

asabet

The lens is the real news here IMO. Two full stops faster than the DP1 should and more than a stop faster at the long end than any other currently produced compact, plus the inclusion of OIS, should make this the best compact around for low light. In good light, I doubt it will come close to the tonality and dynamic range of the DP1. However, back to that lens... The last time Leica allowed a lens to be called "DC Vario Summicron" was the Digilux 2/Panasonic LC1. That was a superb lens, so I have very high hopes for this one. Good for Panasonic, deciding to limit zoom range to 2.5x to maximize lens speed and quality!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Acccoring to the press release in addition to the 4 sets of custom setttings, you will be able to customize at least one button (hopefully more) on the back of the camera. This might give you the control access you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnohare View Post
    It sure looks nice, but I really wish it had a better user interface for manual photography. In other words they can keep the same specs, but the controls could of had the ISO Knob (like the Canon G9), a focus wheel (like the Sigma DP-1) and the Iris wheel and the Shutter Speed lever (like the Ricoh GR-II).

It seems most manufacturers try to dumb down user interface of their pocket cameras. Can't they realize that the real market for these expensive, high-end pocket cameras are the advanced photographers, many of whom are used to manual controls on their DSLRs?

Levent

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by asabet View Post
    The lens is the real news here IMO. Two full stops faster than the DP1 should and more than a stop faster at the long end than any other currently produced compact, plus the inclusion of OIS, should make this the best compact around for low light. In good light, I doubt it will come close to the tonality and dynamic range of the DP1. However, back to that lens... The last time Leica allowed a lens to be called "DC Vario Summicron" was the Digilux 2/Panasonic LC1. That was a superb lens, so I have very high hopes for this one. Good for Panasonic, deciding to limit zoom range to 2.5x to maximize lens speed and quality!
    Thank you Amin
    I hadn't thought this aspect through properly. It sounds quite exciting.

Just this guy you know

asabet

I think it is pretty exciting Jono. An f/2-2.8, 2.5x zoom lens is sort of a return to the age of bridge cameras, and they managed to do it without approaching the overall size of those cameras from 4-5 years ago.

A true 24mm equivalent diagonal angle of view in 16x9 aspect ratio has great potential for XPan-ish photography, and the combination of f/2 and OIS at that setting means that opportunities for outdoor situational photography ought to continue as the sunlight fades.

Here's an impressive (IMO) sample image taken at 4:3, 24mm at Photoscala -> Sample

Here's a DigitalCameraReview.com sample image, also at 24mm, which pushes the dynamic range capabilities of this camera -> Sample

The person who took the latter image was impressed with the metering and DR on that shot. While I agree that the metering was handled well by the camera, the tonal range betrays the small sensor IMO. Specifically, the shadows are blocked up. Nevertheless, this is overall a strong performance for a small sensor camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I LIKE fast glass.
    A lot.
    Combined with effect OIS, this camera could really rule available light wise.
    One my big complaints about most compact camera zooms is the lack of speed, esp at the long end where one needs it most.
    This goes a LOOONG way toward addressing that issue
    Dang....

Post Thanks / Like

I like the GX200 but this LX3 makes it a tough decision..

I think the GX200 will have the physical size advantage? but the LX3 the max aperture advantage.

Maybe I'll just have to get both.

Tim
    Last edited by Tim; 21st July 2008 at 21:41.

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone qualify one point for me?

Is the Panasonic LX2 and the Leica equivalent made of the same body materials? I heard that the Leica was metal where the Panasonic was plastic? Is this the case?

Will the Leica version of the LX3 be made from the same build materials as the Panasonic?

Oxide Blu

So how do you get the RAW files from this camera into Capture NX? What I'm doing now with my GRD II is to load the DNG files into PS Elements, convert to TIFF and write back out, and then load the TIFF into Capture NX. Is there a better way to get non-Nikon DNG/RAW files into Capture NX?

I was kind of excited by the announcement/leaking of news about the new Nikon P6000 because of the interface to Capture NX. But I could get just as excited, maybe more, over this new Panny (and Leica?).

Oxide Blu

LX3 sample pix, for anyone that cares: http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/9604.html

Be sure to read the commentary related to the imagery.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    So how do you get the RAW files from this camera into Capture NX? What I'm doing now with my GRD II is to load the DNG files into PS Elements, convert to TIFF and write back out, and then load the TIFF into Capture NX. Is there a better way to get non-Nikon DNG/RAW files into Capture NX?

I was kind of excited by the announcement/leaking of news about the new Nikon P6000 because of the interface to Capture NX. But I could get just as excited, maybe more, over this new Panny (and Leica?).
    Hi there
    I can't imagine why you'd want to do such a thing, but, assuming PS elements reads the RAW files, then you'll need to do the same thing.
    Why not use Aperture or Lightroom, which will read them straight away?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by asabet View Post
    I think it is pretty exciting Jono. An f/2-2.8, 2.5x zoom lens is sort of a return to the age of bridge cameras, and they managed to do it without approaching the overall size of those cameras from 4-5 years ago.

A true 24mm equivalent diagonal angle of view in 16x9 aspect ratio has great potential for XPan-ish photography, and the combination of f/2 and OIS at that setting means that opportunities for outdoor situational photography ought to continue as the sunlight fades.
    Hi Amin
    I agree - definitely exciting, and for me, I'm pleased that the higher resolution this time is on the 4:3 rather than 16:9, a better combination (3:2 doesn't lose much either).

I suppose it all hinges on the sensor, for once we will be able to see if there really has been much of an advance in sensor design (it's hard to tell when the new sensor is always higher resolution than the old).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

An interesting release. A useful zoom range and nice and fast. Encouraging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is exactly what I've been hoping for in the LX3! Hurray for Panasonic! Some of the samples look quite encouraging, don't they?
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and here I thought
    i was finally over GAS
    sigh.......

Chuck A

After a quick look the LX3 looks great with alot of wonderful upgrades. It is definitely worth a look. I won't list all of the new controls and creative options that I like but there are definitely some things that one-up the Ricohs. The 24mm f/2.0 lens is a real draw but for me there are some things missing. I don't see a step zoom option. That is the the main reason I love the GX100. A square aspect option would have been nice as well.

I am concerned about the new Venus engine. The JPGs look pretty good but the RAW smoothing we saw in the LX2 will have to be gone for me to take this camera seriously. I hope that Panasonic learned that photographers want RAW files that are free from processing. I will be looking for direct RAW image comparisons to the Ricoh models.

It is great to have manufacturers listening to us. Pan and Ricoh are taking different approaches and neither company has produced the perfect compact but it is nice to have these options. Things just keep getting better. I look forward to the reviews, especially Sean's.

Remember Helen, GAS is forever. ;-)

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had dinner with Terry last night here in NY and we where talking about this camera. Sounds really nice
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like what Panasonic has done, they acknowledge the cost in IQ if the MP wars.
    I have reviewed the sample images I can find and a couple of this disturb me a bit.
    They look..flat almost.
    Very sharp but lack sparkle.
    This could be my monitor but it looks that way on three different ones.
    Plus one image in B&W of a bridge, cannot find it right now; looks odd in the sky, like there are faint artifacts in the grey transitions.
    Again, these are sample image and nothing definitive
    *crosses fingers for good IQ*

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Myself,
    I'm looking to see if Leica will introduce the counterpart, the D-Lux 4. The Panny looks great but there will be some differences withe the Leica, minor but noticable.

Lili's right, that lens is the s**t....shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do I hear GAS syndrome noises?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Myself,
    I'm looking to see if Leica will introduce the counterpart, the D-Lux 4. The Panny looks great but there will be some differences withe the Leica, minor but noticable.
    I was asking this in an eariler post, will the Leica be the same build? ie: same materials, electronics etc? Is the only difference between the Panasonic and the Leica to do with firmware?

Thanks

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic LX2 and Leica DLux 3 had identical hardware -- same sensor, same lens, same body, same flash, same buttons ....

As I recall, the distinctions were:

(i) in-camera jpeg processing was 'tuned' differently;

(ii) different photo-editing software came in the box;

(iii) different and appreciably longer warranty w/ the Leica; and

(iv) a very different price, which finally settled at about $200 more (in the US) for the Leica (approx $599 vs $399 or even a bit less for the Panasonic).

Have no idea whether Leica will introduce a 'cousin' to the LX3, and if so, whether and in what ways it will differ ... other than in price, of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah but the Leica's got that cool red dot....I can't do without that....geeze, what'll ya take me fer....?

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. I forgot about the dot.

Hypnohare

Not that I would ever get this camera (because I don't like the UI while in manual mode, assuming it works the same as the LX-2). But, if they make a "Leica" branded version, I would hope that they also make one of those brown leather cases (like the Leica D-Lux 3). That old style case is really a thing of beauty!!

Levent

nei1

On another forum there was a brilliant suggestion to panasonic,to put half a red dot on the camera

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
    Panasonic LX2 and Leica DLux 3 had identical hardware -- same sensor, same lens, same body, same flash, same buttons ....

As I recall, the distinctions were:

(i) in-camera jpeg processing was 'tuned' differently;

(ii) different photo-editing software came in the box;

(iii) different and appreciably longer warranty w/ the Leica; and

(iv) a very different price, which finally settled at about $200 more (in the US) for the Leica (approx $599 vs $399 or even a bit less for the Panasonic).

Have no idea whether Leica will introduce a 'cousin' to the LX3, and if so, whether and in what ways it will differ ... other than in price, of course.
    Thanks for the synopsis here Michael, much appreciated, I thought this was the case but sometimes the info on the net gets clouded.

Best

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Summicron in Leica terminology merely implies a maximum f stop of 2.0. Unfortunately, it does not imply anything about the quality of the lens (although Summicrons in the M mount are excellent performers).

None the less, I will be looking carefuly at this camera.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The brown leather case for the Leica is a beauty. I prefer the black one that comes with the extra battery for $49.00.
    It slides on a belt and is very easy to use with the magnetic cover.

Shooter

PS...no red dot on the case..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm, to be honest, these samples don't look much different than the Gx100 to me. It still looks like there is noise, color fringing and softness that betray the size of its sensor. Ergonomically, the GX100/200/GRD still look better to me. I do like the idea of the lens, but to be fair, it is only a half stop faster at the wide end than the GX100 (2.0 versus 2.4), while the GX100 goes to 72mm versus 60mm. It is noticeably faster at the long end. It will be interesting to see how it compares in resolution and distortion.

Anyway, I don't mean to put down this camera -- it still looks good. I just think we need to put it in perspective. It is still a slow, noisy compact camera just like every digital compact ever made (including the DP1, which while it may have a larger sensor, is astoundingly slow in operation). I am still waiting for an equivalent of something like the Contax T series, Nikon 35ti, or Leica CM. When there is a full frame sensor (even 6-10mp) in a compact body, things will be much more interesting.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

SimonL

If the Sigma DP-2 comes out with a 40mm lens which is faster than f/4 as well as a 'lessons learned' series of modifications I think it'll be awfully tempting

nei1

You and me both Simon,fingers crossed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SimonL View Post
    If the Sigma DP-2 comes out with a 40mm lens which is faster than f/4 as well as a 'lessons learned' series of modifications I think it'll be awfully tempting
    Ohhhhhh yessssss, that would do it, totally.
    Of course a GRD40 would too
    one can but Dream......

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by SimonL View Post

I was travelling through Asia today. I picked up a copy of the International Herald Tribune, a subsidiary of the New York Times, a general, global news publication for travelers. Back on page-20 or so they had a ˝-page write up on the failure of the Sigma DP-1. They talked about everything that “should” be in a small sensor camera, and detailed how the DP-1 failed to meet that criteria in many ways. It seemed an article by someone that actually knows something about digital photography.

At the bottom of the page was a minor, minimal mentioning if the new Panny camera but nothing specific, just that it will be available in August 2008.

Here’s the online link to the article: http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/...gy/24pogue.php

"So kudos to Sigma. It has done what was once considered impossible: it has built a big sensor into a tiny camera.

But did it have to be such a lame camera? No zoom, no stabilizer, no focus lamp, no optical viewfinder, no live histogram; weak flash, washed-out screen, quarter-size movies, infinite shutter lag, loose lens cap. Hello, Sigma? 1998 called. It wants its camera back.

This is not to take anything away from Sigma's astounding technical breakthrough. It is, however, a call to Sigma to hurry up with the DP2 — or to its rivals to pick up from where Sigma left off."