The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Casual Portraiture with the GRD

Lili

Street, thank you!!! These are soft, 1/6sec at f2.4, ISO- 800 and I am not sure how many Jack Sours, still I feel they capture the mood of closing time well

Another

O

Oxide Blu

I think you did better than me. Don't know how many times I have created a small-sensor "masterpiece" at some point well into a night of drinking, only to awaken the next day to discover a CF card full of pixel pollution.

And there is the never ending issue with IFF (inverse focus function), that pesky problem where a sober review of art created under the influence revels the reality of what looked sharp as a tack in-focus when, um, creating, now isn't in focus at all. How does that happen? Must be some kind of a phenomena where the eyeball focuses but the camera doesn't; or the camera focuses but the eyeball doesn't... I don't know, it's a mystery that only revels itself in the aftermath of bar photography.

Btw, I like the lights reflecting in the mirror and accenting your friend's forehead in the second pic. It adds a 60's 'mod' era feel to the image. Very nicely done. :thumbup:

Lili

Paul, thanks so much :)
Oxide, ahhh here is where the Ricoh UI comes into its own, I used snap focus since the AF would not always locked. Of course if it had a true scale focus like the GRDII or Sigma DP-1 these would have been in better focus.
Assuming that that I could read the scale ;)

Anyway off for a RAW shootout; GRD I versus Fuji S6000, the latter locked at 28mm efl.
We'll see how well the legendary 6mp F30/31 sensor does sans in-camera jpeg processing.

H

Hypnohare

Hi Lili,

I especially liked the first one as it seems to captures a warm mood. I have yet to learn how to take B&W photos with that kind of lighting. I just don't have the touch!

For some reason I can only shoot interior (B&W) shots if the lighting looks (to my eye) like a chiaroschuro image from a John Alton, A.S.C. film.

Excellent work!!

I'm curious, are you using the optical viewfinder??

Lili

Hi Lili,

I especially liked the first one as it seems to captures a warm mood. I have yet to learn how to take B&W photos with that kind of lighting. I just don't have the touch!

For some reason I can only shoot interior (B&W) shots if the lighting looks (to my eye) like a chiaroschuro image from a John Alton, A.S.C. film.

Excellent work!!

I'm curious, are you using the optical viewfinder??

Thank you :)
I was using the LCD, only carrying the GRD in its case, no room for more :)
I used the toned "TE" with it set to Blue, with a minimum saturation, contrast med low.
It was using the Matrix (i think) metering, apeture preferred, snap focus, no exp compensation.
Lili

H

Hypnohare

Hi Lili:

Thanks for publishing your settings. That was very kind of you!

Levent

N

nei1

The first is a beautiful image Lilli,proof,if it was needed,that you dont have to spend a small fortune to get to the core of life.

Lili

Hi Lili:

Thanks for publishing your settings. That was very kind of you!

Levent
Levent
I do not see settings as proprietary secrets, like the camera they are simpy tools, a means to end.
It is the concept and result that matter :)

Lili

The first is a beautiful image Lilli,proof,if it was needed,that you dont have to spend a small fortune to get to the core of life.
Thank you :)
One of my favorite film cameras is a holga
It sits next to my hexar
talk about differing ends of the specturm ;)