The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is anyone excited about the Pentax Q?

Mikec

As long as there is an easy way for remembering manual focus distance, I'd be a happy user!

What's your thought?

hot

Unnecessary, expensive - for the cat. For less money you get a superb Lumix G3
A camera without built-in viewer is like a man without ... hmmm ... without a car ;-)

Mikec

I am excited about the large DOF potential of the short focal length. If the sensor has decent image quality for small prints, that's all I need.

I would set it up zone focused (assuming MF is implemented well) and external optical VF. Sounds like it could be suitable for a certain style of street shooting. Of course, minimal shuttle lag would be a plus.

Mikec

Looks like not many people are excited about the Q here. :|

Anyhow, I ordered one. I am looking forward to it.

emr

The IQ remains to be seen, but judging by the specs this sounds to me like the silliest idea in years. An expensive P&S camera with interchangable lenses.

Pat Donnelly

I was excited, but there is doubt about the ability to use manual lenses thereon. Some or all lenses supplied by Pentax have a leaf shutter, implying no timing control inside the body?

I will only be buying it 3rd hand after it has been succeeded by a flash bang model!

They should make enough profit to keep other cameras coming!

hot

Oh god ... a camera for the cat ... buy for half price a Sony HX100 - 27-810mm, 30x zoom, also 1/2.3", f=2.8-5.6, macro from 0mm (front lens), viewer, 3" display with 921.000 pixels ... 10x better.

Some people can sell each nonsens ... waiting for Pentax Qhkd (HelloKittyDesign)

Mikec

If the IQ is comparable to Ricoh GRD III, I'd be happy.
Sony HX100 doesn't have RAW, does it? The lens is also 1 to 2 stops slower at ~50mm equivalent, no? For me, they are in different categories.

I am not too concerned about IQ. I am more concerned about manual focus implementation. It's about the photos you want to create. IQ isn't the only thing (but gear forums are usually biased).

For 40mm to 50mm equivalent, faster than f/2, small sensor for large DOF (relatively small prints), RAW, optical VF, IS, small form factor, I am not aware of another option. If manual focus is not implemented well for zone focus, then it would be sad.

Basically, I want a 40mm to 50mm equivalent GRD. For now, the Q comes the closest. I will let you guys know how it goes once the camera shows up.

What I am after is likely quite niche though.