The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX200 or LX3

Tim

I'm looking at a new zoom compact, the GX200 appeals a bit more because of size and the stepped zoom. Both do RAW. Which do you think? and why? :confused:

Tim

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

I'm waiting till I can see RAW's from both and also until the G10 is announced for Photokina. I was really unimpressed with the DNG RAW's from the D200 but we'll see if there is anything better.

P

Prognathous

The GX200 has its strengths (user-interface, better macro, longer tele, built-in lens cap option, control dial, time-lapse mode etc...), and the LX3 has its strengths (faster lens, TTL hot-shoe, better JPEG's, stabilized movie mode etc...). There's no universally clear winner between these two. It all depends on one's needs and preferences. What are yours?

Prog.

nostatic

To me it comes down to two things: UI and aspect ratio.

Some people vastly prefer the Ricoh UI. I've used both and I find the Panny to be fine - it rarely gets in my way, and the new user presets on the LX3 appear to improve things. But UI is a personal thing.

If you want native 16x9 then the LX3 is a no-brainer. Native 4x3, then GX200.

Otherwise they seem to be pretty comparable cameras.

Lili

Tough choice,
I would wait till there is more out on the LX3
Barring more data; I very much love Ricoh UI though
Panny's I've not tried
Yet

Tim

There is no help comparing sizes either

LX3 is 108.7 x 59.5 x 27.1 mm
GX200 111.6 × 58.0 × 25.0 mm

so they are about the same portability wise!

Last edited:

Will

I know that some people have had problems with dust getting behind the lens on their Ricoh but I don't know what reputation Panasonic have for that? So if you like to carry a camera around in your pocket it might be a factor to investigate further.

F

focale_32

The key elements of a camera are as always the lens, the sensor (film in the old days) and processing (lab in the old days).

Lens :
Panasonic as a completly new lens design which should be first class as Leica endorse it.
Ricoh stayed with the well-known GX100 lens

Sensor :
Panasonic stayed at 10MP and improved its actual design.
Ricoh had to take what was on the shelf. The jump from 10 to 12MP puts more constraints on the lens in term of resolving power, the smaller pixels size renders the camera more prone to diffraction losses.

Processor :
Both Panasonic and Ricoh improved their processing units.

We still have to wait to see results from both cameras for a final comparion as stated before.

However, according to the precedings from Canon (G7-> G9) and Nikon (P5000 -> P5100), I do not think we will see a huge progress in term of IQ going from the GX100 to the GX200, the contrary may be true...

Lili

Sean Reid reviewed the GX 200.
He was very favorable to it except for hi ISO (800-1600) performance.
Having more pixels than the LX3 it is likely the Panny will do a bit better at these ISO's.
I am torn as well.
I LOVE the Ricoh UI.
But that fast zoom, at both ends....Le Sigh.....:p

pjphoto59

There is no help comparing sizes either

LX3 is 108.7 x 59.5 x 27.1 mm
GX200 111.6 × 58.0 × 25.0 mm
These GX200 dimensions look like those often quoted for the GX100, and they are simply wrong, unless my GX100 is an especially fat version.

length and breadth at 112 x 58 are about right, but the thickness, with the lens cap on is 40mm. The lens cap is, of course, essential due the risk of dust. Without the lens cap, the thickness is 35mm, not 25mm. The thickness makes a big difference to the pocketability of the camera.

Peter

mark1958

I think this is going to be an interesting comparison. I too have been considering getting one or the other. The reason i am favoring the LX-3 is the f2.0-2.8 lens whereas the Gx200 has a 2.8 to 4.4 lens. The other issue is that the LX-3 is less expensive as well. Like every camera there are tradeoffs. Ultimately i would like to see some image comparisons at low and high isos. This is likely going to be the most important variable at this point.

S

SimonL

I think whether the LX3 had the equivalent of the MY1 and MY2 settings combined with the snap focus mode would be the deal breaker for me

Tim

I am considering buying both and run with one then the other for a few months. I might then part with one or keep both?

Probably go with this plan if there is nothing else interesting show up at Photokina.

Tim

N

nei1

If leica built in pre-set focal lengths a la ricoh,square format raw plus lightning fast tracking autofocus in say a 2 foot range on an easily selected face Id be a very happy camper and pay the leica premium and maybe leave a tip.

mark1958

I have downloaded some high iso raw images from the GX200 posted on dpreview.com and I am not at all impressed with the iso 400 and 800 images. The GX200 looks like more noise compared to the GX100. Sean Reid said from his memory he thought the noise was about the same but never did side by side comparisons in his review. AS much as I was hoping this would be better or as good as the Panasonic in terms of IQ, and without seeing side by sides at the moment, I am guessing the Panasonic is going to outperform the GX 200. However, the advantages like user controls etc need to be placed into the equation. Moreover, have not seen IQ comparisons at lower isos and if one is primarily going to use at lower isos then not an issue. So at this point, I am favoring the panasonic.

N

nei1

Just to put another camera in,Ive really liked some of the image quality thats come out of the sony w300,if the same chip is in the nikon p6000 it could be nice although its a slower lens.Id still be tempted if sigma put a 40mmf2 on the dp1,both these companies seem to have issues with raw processors at the moment.
If I had to choose between these two cameras it would be the gx200 and sod the IQ.