The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX200 or LX3

jonoslack

I just upgraded from the D-Lux3 and LX2 to the LX3. I haven't had a chance to use the camera for any situation that would show CA. It was raining and overcast and the rain just quit when I took this shot today.
Cindy, the shot is lovely, but it looks like the damned camera got the horizon on a tilt . . . give it a slap!

I seem to be having a clean sweep . . . and am also tempted, and I agree about the grip Kit - slippery has it's place . . but not in cameras!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy, the shot is lovely, but it looks like the damned camera got the horizon on a tilt . . . give it a slap!
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Actually, I used the ruler tool in Photoshop on the horizon. I think it looks tilted, too. I know for a fact after years of shooting this scene that the lighthouse tilts a little. The roof of the yacht club seems to tilt a little but if I straighten it, the lighthouse gets worse....so I left it at this.

I have set Custom mode 1 and Custom mode 2-1. I am :( dismayed to find out that the lens position and the aperture are not saved. Am I missing something? If not, Panasonic has missed the mark here.

Per, I am not sure, and have posted this Q on some other forums. Note that, on startup, 24mm EFOV is default. 24mm has the lens fully extended.

It takes ~ 1 second to go from full wide to full tele, if that helps. While we wait for the definitive answer, I would just say that because the 60 setting only takes a half second to reach (with no looking at screen or dials, because is it one end of the zoom) I wouldn't bother saving—quicker to have it set on whatever you want on the wide end, and press the zoom lever over to the right when you want 60.

I prefer the LX3, simply because it has the grip—the ergonomics are good. Having had the DP-1, which has no grip, I can tell you it is necessary, IMHO. cheers, kl
OK, thank you, Kit! I´m using my Dlux3 quite a lot, so I sort of know the drill....:( As you say, end positions are no real problem, and with the short f. l. range of the LX3/Dlux4, I guess the end positions is what one uses most anyway.

I´ve marked the barrel of the Dlux3 (see this post in another group: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/64755-dlux4-zoom-question.html#post670294 ), but I had hoped I wouldn´t have to with the Dlux4, if I decide to go for it.

As for the grip, I recently found out that I get the best handling ot the Dlux3 with a wrist strap (tightened with a "bead" that slides on it), plus I put the right thumb on the bottom plate and the index finger on the release, while my longest finger supports the front. Left hand posture is more or less the mirror of that (never use the flash, so that´s no problem). Yhis both steadies the camera when held at arm´s length, solves the problem of accidentally pushed buttons, and does away with the need for a grip (YMMV...:) ).

Well, a longwinded explanation, but just might help someone.

Rawfa

Hi fellas,

This my first post and (as usual) I'm going to start with a doubt. I've been digging deep into this forum and several other sources of information but whenever I'm about to make up my mind about one camera I bump into an article/photos about the other. this is really hard and I feel that I cannot go wrong with either, but nonetheless I'm having the worst time deciding. I do a lot of street/landscape photography and I want something really fast and reliable. Right now I have the new Nikon P6000 and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with it. Don't get me wrong. When you have the time to set up the shot carefully you can get great photos, but when you need to "point and shoot" I don't trust this camera at all...the white balance is horrible when it comes to tungsten, the autofocus is slow and not trust worthy, the raw takes about 2,5 secs, the "live view" cannot be trusted (even with time to set up a shot, when it looks absolutely perfect it can come out looking nothing like what you've just seen on the lcd). Anyway, right now I've got a great deal on a GX100 and I really want to go for it, but the LX3's 16/9, f2.0, 1cm macro really has me crazy. Price wise I can get the GX100 100€ cheaper than the LX3. So, any thoughts?

thanks in advance,

Rafa

A

asabet

Rafa,

"the white balance is horrible when it comes to tungsten"

This is true of every camera I've ever used.

"the autofocus is slow and not trust worthy"

GX100 AF is probably faster than LX3, but both are fast for small sensor cameras.

"the raw takes about 2,5 secs"

GX100 takes longer than that. GX200 and LX3 both buffer RAW allowing successive RAW photos without a pause.

"the "live view" cannot be trusted (even with time to set up a shot, when it looks absolutely perfect it can come out looking nothing like what you've just seen on the lcd"

I don't trust the LCD on any of my cameras, but the LX3 is better than average in this respect.

"Anyway, right now I've got a great deal on a GX100 and I really want to go for it, but the LX3's 16/9, f2.0, 1cm macro really has me crazy. Price wise I can get the GX100 100€ cheaper than the LX3. So, any thoughts?"

Given your specific concerns with the P6000, I think you should go for the LX3.

fordfanjpn

Hi fellas,

Anyway, right now I've got a great deal on a GX100 and I really want to go for it, but the LX3's 16/9, f2.0, 1cm macro really has me crazy. Price wise I can get the GX100 100€ cheaper than the LX3. So, any thoughts?

thanks in advance,

Rafa
I have a GRD2 and LX3, and to be honest, if you're doing a lot of street shooting, the the Ricoh is probably the better choice. Considering how cheap the GX100 is now, I don't see how you could go wrong with it. In fact, even though I love the GRD2, I'm actually thinking seriously about getting a GX100 now that the price is so low. The LX3 is a great little camera, and the fast lens and close focusing are really nice to have, but it's really not a speed demon in terms of handling. In fact, I'm planning to sell mine (I got a little carried away last week and bought a DP1 and a G1 - now I need to part with other stuff to pay for my addiction). All this is, of course, IMHO.

Bill

Rawfa

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Amin...and congratulations for your wonderful and inspiring photos.

Rawfa

Thanks, Bill. Much appreciated.
Oh and btw, if you're really serious about selling the LX3 let me know. It might help me decide if you're selling for the right price :)

A

asabet

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Amin...and congratulations for your wonderful and inspiring photos.
Very kind Rafa, thanks! I can understand Bill's point about the GX100. Ricoh really does have the best camera controls around. The GX100 remembers zoom length in stored custom settings (LX3 doesn't) and also has a handy "snap focus" mode which the Panasonic lacks. Both of these are really nice to have for "street" photography.

Your indecision is understandable. Neither camera is the outright winner!

fordfanjpn

Thanks, Bill. Much appreciated.
Oh and btw, if you're really serious about selling the LX3 let me know. It might help me decide if you're selling for the right price :)
Sorry, it's already gone. It was a Japanese only model, so I sold it to a Japanese guy. He doesn't seem to have any problem with the menus. :D

Bill

Rawfa

Do you guys know if either the LX3 or the GX100 will take a 16gb SD card (or 32 for that matter)?

fordfanjpn

Very kind Rafa, thanks! I can understand Bill's point about the GX100. Ricoh really does have the best camera controls around. The GX100 remembers zoom length in stored custom settings (LX3 doesn't) and also has a handy "snap focus" mode which the Panasonic lacks. Both of these are really nice to have for "street" photography.

Your indecision is understandable. Neither camera is the outright winner!
It's the stored zoom setting and "snap focus" mode that really appeal to me for street shooting. Add to that the fact that the GX100 is selling for about $350 here now, makes it really hard to resist. If I hadn't just bought the DP1 and G1 ...

Bill

Rawfa

350us$ is a VERY sweet deal. That is more or less the price I can get for a used one here.
Hey Bill, what is the "snap focus" mode?

fordfanjpn

350us$ is a VERY sweet deal. That is more or less the price I can get for a used one here.
Hey Bill, what is the "snap focus" mode?
Snap focus is essentially a hyperfocus mode. It locks the focus at 3 meters, so when you shoot, there is zero delay (since there is no auto focus happening). It makes street shooting very fast.

Bill

Rawfa

That is a very cool feature indeed and it scores points on my decision.
Sadly I still haven't reached any conclusions yet. The lx3's is one stop brighter than the gx100, I love the 16/9 aspect ratio, and from what I've seen it can be easily be used at iso 400...whilst the gx100 can be used at iso 400 but not always.
Why doesn't Olympus release that beautiful digital rangefinder of theirs at once?!

fordfanjpn

That is a very cool feature indeed and it scores points on my decision.
Sadly I still haven't reached any conclusions yet. The lx3's is one stop brighter than the gx100, I love the 16/9 aspect ratio, and from what I've seen it can be easily be used at iso 400...whilst the gx100 can be used at iso 400 but not always.
Why doesn't Olympus release that beautiful digital rangefinder of theirs at once?!
I used my LX3 at 400 and 800, and made some very nice B&W conversions. There is a lot to be said for the LX3, but if you want a fast handling camera that you can shoot pretty much without thinking about it, Ricoh really has the advantage there.

I'm sure a lot of people are anxiously awaiting the Olympus micro 4/3 camera. Me included.

Bill

Rawfa

Thanks for the tips, Bill. The truth is that for the kind of money I would pay for the LX3 I could almost buy a gx100 with the 19mm wide converter. I might very well go with the gx100...until the Olympus micro 4/3 camera comes by :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have had the GX100, D-Lux3 and now have the LX3. There is no doubt that the ergonomics of the GX100 are the best, but once you come to terms with the controls on the LX3, you won't be sorry that you have chosen it. The faster lens and higher iso performance make it the choice for me.
I love 16:9 and the dynamic b+w film choice for jpeg. I have shot only raw for several years until I got the LX3. My dislike for Silkypix has caused me to give jpegs a try and I think they are rendered very well. I am looking forward to Aperture supporting the LX3 soon, so that I will have more control.

Rawfa

Ok, this is a good one...how about DOF? Which one is better? The gx has the longer focal lenght but the lx has the brighter lens.
Laurence Kim and Wouter have made things REALLY hard for me...