The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX200 or LX3

Rawfa

Just dropped the dime on a DMC-LX3...courtesy of our own Cindy Flood. I'm really looking forward to having this baby on my hands...the LX3, not Cindy :)

Rawfa

Do you guys know if either the LX3 or the GX100 will take a 16gb SD card (or 32 for that matter)?
Does anyone know this? I will spend 10 days visiting China and I would like to buy a 16gb SD Card, but I've read that not all cameras take that much memory. Did anyone here ever try the LX3 and/or the GX100 with a 16gb sd card? There's some great deals on ebay for a 16gb with a usb adapter (which is also very useful to copy/upload the photos on the road.

S

SimonL

Do you guys know if either the LX3 or the GX100 will take a 16gb SD card (or 32 for that matter)?
Take 2 x 8GB [or 4 x 8GB for that matter] and swap during the holiday.

That way, all is not lost if an SD card corrupts for any reason.......................

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Over the years, I have had 2 or 3 SD cards fail (on M8 and D-Lux3). One had really important photos on it and I was never able to rescue the photos. I would stick to 4GB and buy 4 as opposed to one 16GB. Make sure that you always format in the camera before use and if they go bad, toss them!

Rawfa

Thanks for the tip, Cindy. I have recently lost 1gb worth of irreplaceable photos from a trip to Florence/Italy. It's heartbreaking.

W

wbrandsma

Ok, this is a good one...how about DOF? Which one is better? The gx has the longer focal lenght but the lx has the brighter lens.
Laurence Kim and Wouter have made things REALLY hard for me...
Had no intentions too, and congrats with you LX3 :thumbup:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Just dropped the dime on a DMC-LX3...courtesy of our own Cindy Flood. I'm really looking forward to having this baby on my hands...the LX3, not Cindy :)
:bugeyes::bugeyes::bugeyes::ROTFL:

I'm probably going to regret this move.:talk028:

Rawfa

For the love of God, don't get cold feet on me now. I've already started buying LX3 accesories and I had to say to no to a VERy tempting offer on a GX100.

Rawfa

With my luck tomorrow Panasonic will announce the LX4 with interchangeable lenses...

Tim

Over the years, I have had 2 or 3 SD cards fail (on M8 and D-Lux3). One had really important photos on it and I was never able to rescue the photos. I would stick to 4GB and buy 4 as opposed to one 16GB. Make sure that you always format in the camera before use and if they go bad, toss them!
I'd also be careful of the source you purchase cards. There are fake cards out there. Check this article from ebay AU

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk-Ultra-Secure-Digital-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001254879

I have heard of fake cards that pretend to be 2Gb, however if you copy 2Gb of data to them, the data is lost as they are actually less than 2Gb in there.

I'd also suggest taking some pics and testing the cards before relying on them on a big holiday.

Tim

Tim

Has anyone seen a Dlux4 and an LX3 side by side. Is the Dlux4 built with better materials and a better construction?

The LX3's built in hand grip is appealing but I am wondering if the Dlux 4 is better built using better materials?

Thanks

nostatic

I don't know that, but I do know that I'm totally impressed with the low light performance on the DLux4

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
my buddy has the Leica and it's the same build quality.
I'm fact, he's going to sell it and get the LX3 cause
it has a built in grip....IQ is the same in each....
Shooter

Tim

my buddy has the Leica and it's the same build quality.
I'm fact, he's going to sell it and get the LX3 cause
it has a built in grip....IQ is the same in each....
Shooter
Well, I was going for the Dlux4, mainly because of the additional Capture 1 software that was bundled, but when I heard that the LX3 comes with Silkypix, I figured that Silkypix will do me. I don't have any RAW software at the moment and it will probably be easy to learn as I dont have many pre-conceptions.

I have ordered a LX3 from my local photo dealer. Here in AU the LX3 is close to half the price of a Dlux4 and the price saving difference will enable me to buy a GX200 as well. :thumbup:

I just want to try both for myself and which ever one I don't use, I can always give to my wife to use. :rolleyes:

Tim