The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD-1 on a mountain top

H

Hugh

I took the GDR-1 on a long walk up Ben Nevis the highest mountain in the UK @ 4,406 ft on a fine sunny day. However after 3 hours the conditions near the summit turned wet and windy, but the camera kept on working surprisingly. Here are some photos:

pollobarca

Your last pic looks potentially expensive! Nice work all round especially the clouds in first pic.
I have something similar from Ben Nevis in 1992 using a sony videocamera. 4 seasons in one panning shot from the summit. Also in August (round about 18th August). :)

Lili

HUGh,
Those are nice indeed!
That last one incredible.
Your camera survived then?

H

Hugh

Yes, camera seems to have recovered from its ordeal.
Odd that you get such weather in the middle of summer.

les

Fair Braw - bonnie photos indeed......hope you were wearing more than sandals and a t-shirt up there.

Tim

Hugh,

terrific images, I enjoyed them. I always thought the GR series made great mountain climbing cameras. Small but tough.

Tim

V

VladimirV

The last picture is great.
The others are also nice and show quite a lot of dynamic range.

H

Hugh

Thanks for all the comments.

Les: We did have all the gear for walking in the mountains as the photos show how quickly conditions can change. It would been nice to have got a view from the top of Ben Nevis, maybe next time. The locals said there's only 100 clear days a year.

Tim: The GRD is perfect for hill walking as its so light. Way back the camera of choice for climbers was the Olympus OM1, I wonder what they use now.

Last photo before we entered the clouds with the "path" in foreground.

jminor

Very nice Hugh, it continues to amaze me how well the GRD does taking landscapes. What setting did you use for focus, snap? infinity?

John

H

Hugh

John.
I used the normal auto focus which was a mistake. I did have some problems in the rain and mist as some shots were out of focus. So would use infinity focus next time in this situation.

jminor

Thanks for the info Hugh. I've used multi and spot focus, and most of the time with good results. But some shots were blown, so now snap and infinity are my prefered settings and have been getting constantly good pictures. And when in doubt I'll use both on a subject to make sure it comes out ok, and it also helps me determine when to use these settings to the best advantage. Thanks again for the info, and for the wonderful photos..... John

Lili

Hugh, great shots all of them, so glad the Ricoh survived the weather.
I use infinity all the time for my driving shots else it can try to focus on anything on window surface ;)
Snap I use for people all the time, esp if they are moving about.
The AF I use for more considered shots.