The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which cameras accept an external mic

Godfrey

Other than the Nikon P7000
David, I don't know that any "small sensor" cameras have a jack-in mike (audio input) capability. I know the Panasonic and Olympus Micro-FourThirds and FourThirds SLRs which can capture video have audio inputs, likewise the Nikon and Canon SLRs with video capability. Most "small sensor" cameras are restricted to using their built-in microphones.

With my E-5, I can jack in a Zoom sound recorder as a pass through. This enables me to record high quality sound with the sound recorder and lay a low res track down with the video, which allows very accurate overlay and subsequent stripping of the audio track in production. If I ever get around to doing any serious video work, that is ... !!

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
And I have ordered the Olympus SEMA-1 MICROPHONE ADAPTER - OLAS1M unit for the XZ-1; I plan to use a Sony wireless mic and input to the SEMA from the receiver. I have used this setup for years for pro video—so I know the sound will be at least OK!

@ hot: that's a pretty cool setup with the mini-Zoom—but nothing beats close micing for voices; I plan to use this setup for video blogs.

Does anyone know if the new X10 has some kind of external audio input, BTW?