The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First review of LX3

R

Rac23

Interesting review. It says that the larger sensor and the fewer number of pixels doesn't really help reduce noise much at all. So after all the hype, Panasonic still hasn't really delivered the goods. Let's hope someone does soon.

Terry

While I use that site for news items, I've somewhat given up on their reviews. They adored the new Fuji super zoom and didn't have any issue with the CA that others clearly dinged the camera for. There have been some other oddball comments there as well. I'm not being a fangirl here.

sizifo

While I use that site for news items, I've somewhat given up on their reviews. They adored the new Fuji super zoom and didn't have any issue with the CA that others clearly dinged the camera for. There have been some other oddball comments there as well. I'm not being a fangirl here.
Must say I agree. Didn't find the review too insightful.

Those samples look great to me, though. You can see it's a really exceptional lens.

Lili

The same site reviewed the Fuji S100fs and said CA and PF were not an issue,
Most other reviews of same camera mention these are greater than usual for this camera.
Either their camera was better than the others or all these reiviewers have differing standards.
That notwithstanding, I do want the Fuji
And the LX3
and the DP1

Ok
maybe just one of these, I'll leave it to you guess which...
;)

Terry

Lili- Im holding out for the one not yet named or announced for that matter...there will be another big sensor camera

Lili

TEB, that is true.
The Disputative Fuji Natura would rock
A digital Nikon SP would be byond rocking ;)

Brian Mosley

If I hadn't already bought a Sigma DP1, I'd probably be first in line for one of these, but having seen the sample images - despite the superb lens, I think I'll pass and wait to see what Panasonic do with Micro 4/3rds...

on the other hand, when I get an LX3 in my hands - I may change my mind :)

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

Thanks for the link
The 'larger sensor' bit is so silly - it's hardly larger at all, they've just kept the resolution down to 10 when everyone else goes up to 14 (might as well stick with my 10mp GX100!).
Pixel density:
10mp LX3 = 24
10mp GX100 = 25

hmm - big deal :)

Still, nice lens . . Me? Like Brian, I might have been interested, but the micro 4/3 is sooooo much more tempting.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm on hold until further announcements but I want to replace my Leica D lux 2 with something new. Besides my wife stole it from me. LOL

F

focale_32

The photographyblog reviews are just plain bullshit !
It's not a surprise that they are always the first to test something new. They're located in England and you have seldom high contrasty scenes for the test images.
Beside this, have you ever seen a bad test result from them ?
Are you able to jugde the signal noise ratio of a cam from their test images ? No talking of chromatic aberrations ?
Sadly they're not alone, many other sites expose their pseudo science.
The cameras are now digital, digital or numerical is nothing new. It has been used for years in other technical branches like the telecommunications or the space exploration. The signal noise ratio is not measured by taking pictures of a curtain with flowers but by well known standard procedures and proven technics. Most of the review web sites are run by people who are simply not up to the job.
Just as an exemple compare the photographyblog Fuji S100FS review with the DIWA Labs one :
http://www.diwa-labs.com/wip4/compare_camera3.epl?product=6989&product2=7030

PS Just for the fun I've includ a cheap cam for comparison.

L

LFPhoto

Can't quite figure out the comparison pics posted on flickr - raw conversion or jpeg? gx200 seems to have much more DOF - why? Brian.

mark1958

I still like the Leica DLUX 2 (same as LX-1). I think it is better at high isos than the "upgraded" release because unlike the 2nd release there is no embedded NR at iso 200 and above. There were lots of comparisons showing significant loss of detail in the RAW images due to the differences in how the in camera RAW processing was carried out. Since these cannot be altered post exposure, the ability to do your own NR and let the user establish the tradeoff in NR vs loss in detail is not possible. WIth that said, I am anxious to see how the LX-3 performs. This is the only review I found with some direct full file comparisons but I would really like to get my hands on some Iso 100-800 RAW files. The iso 800 files posted here were jpg and full of jpg artifacts. The iso 1600 RAW files posted on this site also look pretty unusable except maybe small prints. I like the ability to add an optical viewfinder.
http://www.seriouscompacts.com/search/label/Panasonic LX3

woodyspedden

http://flickr.com/photos/euyoung/2751553141/in/set-72157606496696349/
This comparison between the lx3 and gx200 is interesting if accurate.

p.s.if we removed all the bullshit from British culture the Queen would have nowhere to sit,what would we do with her then,sell her to america?God forbid!

Unless its a really good offer of course.
At least the Euro is beginning to fade a little against the dollar. When it gets to 1 Euro to the dollar the Queen may be within affordable range. But what we in America do with Charles and all the other hangers on? Just kidding of course. Love the Royals

N

nei1

Well keep Charlie,the rest you can have as a gift,a one off promotion,free with the Queen if bought before she goes potty.They·d make good servants for the Whitehouse.

I can see the Queen now,sat,royally,back on her fore deck,a glass of champagne in one hand,a small bell within easy reach of the other,watching the sun rise on her new empire,a mona-lisa smile playing across those gentle features,middle finger raised towards the atlantic.

O

Oxide Blu

The photographyblog reviews are just plain bullshit

Just as an exemple compare the photographyblog Fuji S100FS review with the DIWA Labs one :
http://www.diwa-labs.com/wip4/compare_camera3.epl?product=6989&product2=7030

Nice review, but even that can be considered a bit disingenuous, too. Digital imaging is about both the hardware and the software, both in-camera and post-processing on a computer. You can’t compare any part of film-based photography without both exposing an image and then processing that image. The same holds true for digital cameras; you gotta take a pic and fully “process” it with both in-camera software and Photoshop/Lightroom/ViewNX/whatever software before you can realistically consider what a digital camera is capable of. I think that’s the reality of where digital photography is now, a combination of hardware with embedded software and back-end, 3rd party software.

Sometimes I think some folks get all wrapped up in the technology and forget how to press the ‘take-a-picture’ button. :grin:

O

Oxide Blu

p.s.if we removed all the bullshit from British culture the Queen would have nowhere to sit,what would we do with her then,sell her to america?

Not buying her. However, we have a pair of Clintons we would love to trade... :ROTFL:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Mine will arrive this week; I may be able to shoot something on the weekend. Had the LX1 and 2—I am a 'buy and try' kind of guy (just like another Guy!)

cheers all