Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Developing Ricoh RAW files

  1. #1
    Member grappa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago,IL
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like

    Developing Ricoh RAW files

    After reading so many glowing comments from all of you (and otherwise),I bit the bullet and bought a GRD 2. Not a bad little camera but here's the rub:
    I am on a Mac so I need to use Lightroom etc to develop my pics. I have tried Capture One, Lightroom, and a couple of others but the shots all come out better as jpeg's from the camera. I do not have noise reduction turned on but the noise level in the RAW files greatly exceeds the jpg from the camera.
    Why bother with RAW ? Or,what to use to develop the pics ?

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Developing Ricoh RAW files

    How high ISO are you shooting? At the higher end above 800 I tend to move to B&W. The problem with jpegs is that while you get less noise the processing also generally robs you of detail. I try and not look at the 100% view on small sensor cameras as the prints are generally much better as is the picture shown on a regular sized screen. Sorry, I don't have any processing secrets, I simply use Lightroom.

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Developing Ricoh RAW files

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    How high ISO are you shooting? At the higher end above 800 I tend to move to B&W. The problem with jpegs is that while you get less noise the processing also generally robs you of detail. I try and not look at the 100% view on small sensor cameras as the prints are generally much better as is the picture shown on a regular sized screen. Sorry, I don't have any processing secrets, I simply use Lightroom.
    I agree completely. Actually I really try hard to avoid allowing my Pixel Peeping OCD full reign; reminding myself it is the entire image that counts, not some tiny part of it.
    Currently doing the trial version of Lightroom, rather liking it too

  4. #4
    Member grappa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago,IL
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Developing Ricoh RAW files

    Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    I agree completely. Actually I really try hard to avoid allowing my Pixel Peeping OCD full reign; reminding myself it is the entire image that counts, not some tiny part of it.
    Currently doing the trial version of Lightroom, rather liking it too
    I am actually not looking at the camera display,I am looking at the picture as it is displayed on my monitor. The jpg files are much sharper with less noise but exhibit that painterly effect seen on some cameras. There must be some way to denoise the DNG files that works well.
    Even at ISO 200 there is IMO too much noise in color photos but the BW photos are great.

  5. #5
    VladimirV
    Guest

    Re: Developing Ricoh RAW files

    You should try using either the Color Noise removal slider set at 5-10 in LR or use Noise Ninja to remove color noise.

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Developing Ricoh RAW files

    Quote Originally Posted by grappa View Post
    I am actually not looking at the camera display,I am looking at the picture as it is displayed on my monitor. The jpg files are much sharper with less noise but exhibit that painterly effect seen on some cameras. There must be some way to denoise the DNG files that works well.
    Even at ISO 200 there is IMO too much noise in color photos but the BW photos are great.
    Grappa, FWIW I was referring to the monitor not the camera LCD.
    Question; are you viewing images at full frame or are you zooming in?
    As Noise, there lies the rub with these cameras...I LIKE the noise in my GRD I, viewing it more like texture in my hi ISO shots. I dislike the jpegs from the GRD II and the GX 200, disliking the painterly effects you refer to.
    However some do not like noise at all and I can understand where they come from.
    I am not really fond on the noise in color, just as you are, chroma noise is far to disturbing in most cases.
    One thing to recall, as I have learned in my initial steep learning curve of post processing;
    The Manufacturers have engineers working full time for a very long time on their JPEG engines; so one cannot expect to even match their results without serious effort and much experience.
    Last edited by Lili; 13th August 2008 at 07:35.

  7. #7
    Oxide Blu
    Guest

    Re: Developing Ricoh RAW files

    How politically correct does my reply to the op need to be?

  8. #8
    Member grappa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago,IL
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Developing Ricoh RAW files

    OK then. I took the GRD II out today and got some shots. Seems like a little sharpening helps more than I thought using Lightroom.
    Put up a page on www.fastorly.com if you want to see my pics.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Developing Ricoh RAW files

    Grappa; those look quite sharp to me

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •