The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMC-LX5 images

Steve Fines

Fun images - great to look through.

Here's two from the last few weeks taken with an LX5. Big one is a 3 shot pano - I wasn't sure about the correct size to post a pano - sorry if too big.

User arcebelano over on dpreview recently posted some very nice images from his LX2, and asked the question of whether the upgrade to LX5 is worth it.

Click here to see his images:
DMC-365 - My Year with Lumix Camera Equipment: DMC-LX2 User Asks - Should I Upgrade to the DMC-LX5?

Here's my reply:

I had the LX2 for about the same time period you've had yours. Like you, I was VERY satisfied with it.

I have upgraded to the LX5, and will never look back. While the image quality of the LX2 is very good, I do find the LX5 to have about one stop better high iso performance. I can use it fairly comfortably at iso800.

But, more importantly, some practical upgrades really help. The most important for me are:

1. Hot shoe. I like to use an optical finder sometimes.
2. Hot shoe. I use the LVF1 finder a lot.
3. Function to set zoom to 35mm equivalents. If I want to use a 35mm optical finder, I can set the zoom to 35mm equivalent without any trial and error.
4. Function to remember the zoom setting when you turn the camera off. That way, it will go back to, say, 35mm, even after I've turned the camera off.
5. Manual focus memory. If I set the camera for range focus or hyperfocal settings, it remembers that focus setting when I turn the camera off.

So, I can put on an optical finder, set the focal length to match it, focus at the hyperfocal distance, and use it all day without messing around, even when I turn the camera on and off.
I don't know if you shoot this way, but if you do, it's worth the upgrade.
And, the image quality is better.

Here's one of my more recent shots:

P1030260.jpg by reed_flickr (www.creativeobjective.com), on Flickr

Reed
DMC-365.blogspot.com

simonclivehughes

Last edited:
S

Symeon

Street capture with the LX5. Probably the best pocket camera I ever had.

Howard

Simon,
Just viewed this thread for the first time in a while and saw your several posting of photos. They are a joy to view - excellent images.

simonclivehughes

Simon,
Just viewed this thread for the first time in a while and saw your several posting of photos. They are a joy to view - excellent images.
Thank you, Howard, I appreciate your kind remarks. :grin:
I see that you are getting great results now with an LX7.

Here's a couple of recent ones for you. I saw these with the early morning sun coming in through a chaise lounge and creating these marvellous 'Strand-beams'.

View attachment 66692

View attachment 66693

Fun playing with angles to optimize the lead-in lines.

Good luck,

rayyan

Wonderful images here. Raist, you seem to be putting the cam to excellent work.
Simon, lovely images.

So too from all the others. Keep 'me coming.

Regards.

biomed

I sure hope I'm not missing something obvious, but I don't see an LX5 image post. Here's a start of one:

First two shots are HDR (which is so easy, especially now that I've set it up as one of my custom settings). Remainder are single images.

P1030017_HDR.jpg by reed_flickr (www.creativeobjective.com), on Flickr

It is refreshing to see HDR images like yours, and not the overdone photos usually seen. Well done! I will be posting some images from my new LX5 soon.

Mike

biomed

It turned out to be a cold and foggy day, but I still went out with the LX5 to the waterfront.

Happy New Year!

Mike

Hi Mike - those first two images are hauntingly beautiful, especially #2! Thanks for sharing.

Reed
Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

Howard

It is gratifying to see so many excellent photos posted to this thread. As an earlier contributor to this thread until my loss of my LX5. I now have an LX7, my daughter has my old LX3 both of which produce excellent photos. I commend all those photographers who learn to work around the limitations of small sensor cameras to produce outstanding photos.

Having started this thread, I'd like to thank everyone for some awesome images. Keep 'em coming.

I'll continue to look here of course, but have just upgraded to the LX7. Be sure to look at this thread, started by Howard, as well:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/small-sensor-cameras/42059-lx7-images.html

I didn't order the new LVF for the LX7 - hope I can live with an optical finder only.

Thanks again! It's fun using such a capable little camera as the LX5/LX7.

Reed
Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

Mandrake

/Users/simonscollins/Desktop/LX5 photos/P1030704.JPG/Users/simonscollins/Desktop/LX5 photos/Azul.jpg/Users/simonscollins/Desktop/LX5 photos/P1030616.JPG