The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E3 on the job, day one

Riley

Some photogs like to get to work like they're hitting the beach at Normandy, every item under the sun to get them through a tough engagement. Me I prefer to travel light and to work freehand without a tripod, and with my Metz playing up Im limited to FL36 and a bit aperture restrained for the lack of portable flash power. The following four frames from E3 are with the ubiquitous 11-22/2.8-3.5, all are jpegs while I sort out workflow.

Once you get used to E3's handling it gets easier, IS mode 1, I set iso to 160, Manual mode as is my habit indoors for flash control, Ive been using program mode outside as it seems to simply nail it. The obligatory kitchen shot is just wonderful and took little PP to make it shine.

The WB was off on 3 frames out of 50 tending quite blue, where normally indoors and outdoors my 300 would be a fair bit more troublesome. The issue was easily rectified in post. This is one of them, see the blooming daylight coming through the far windows, no doubt that was the cause. Mostly WB is very close, aided by the separate sensor for WB.

LiveView offers more creative opportunities for low angles, but I wish I got a little closer on reflection.

Pools always look nice, but the reality is they're a lot of work and cost a bomb in maintenance. PP here ~ not required (I never ever thought i would say that) Having a weatherproof rig helps the confidence in being so close to the water. This is LiveView actually just over the water by a few inches.

Just to prove what a complete pussy I am, the camera-crane view was done by my Panasonic LC1, Im not putting a A$2k+ camera 20ft in the sky for anything just yet.

The LC1 proves it still has the goods, and exposes outdoors with good DR and nice green renders. Strangely the E3 shoots about the same but with way less noise, where my 300 tended to be to red in this climate and at times useless unless handled quite carefully. When I get more confident with using E3 in heights, the beautiful handling LC1 may have a more limited future.

Riley

Last edited:
S

Sean_Reid

Rob,

I think you just made history with the first 4/3 camera post in this forum. I'm excited to test the E3 and am very glad that its working out well for you.

Cheers,

Sean

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
He did and a great intro to it also. Damn these are really good images. Love to see what the camera looks like . Now i have to look into this, maybe a great backup system for me and some jobs too.

What is really interesting is the distortion is low

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Riley and great first post!

Guy and I decided to give 4/3rds its own forum since it is enough larger than small sensor and enough smaller thn larger sensor cameras to warrant its own area. (I moved your post as the first, into it ;) )

Cheers,

S

Sean_Reid

Thanks very much Jack and Guy.

This site overall is going so well that I asked Jack and Guy to create a separate 4/3 forum that, of course, will be cross-brand. I figured 4/3 rds discussions would be easiest to follow in their own space. If anyone wants to see this grow, please spread the word.

Cheers,

Sean

Riley

thanks for the kind comments gentlemen, its nice to be here

Sean/ at my age history is what Im about ;)

Guy/ yes a lot of pro users are multi format these days, and 4/3rds cameras offer something different enough to be useful.

Jack/ thanks! and thanks for the new forum division

Maggie/ it seems anything digital the size of an OM in digital is going to be more or less a point and shoot camera. I bought a very mint OM1 with 50/1.8 for $25 just a week ago. Thats one 50/1.8 that will be denied to 5D owners ;)

Riley

jonoslack

Hi Rob
Great shots - I think it's a great camera, although the niceties take a little time to get used to.

I've had mine for nearly a month now, I've been surprised at how good the Image quality is, and how spectacularly the Autofocus has been improved.

I think they have a real winner here, and there is a real opportunity for Leica to bring out something the size of the E400, with the Image quality of the E3.

I'll do a separate post with my observations a little later.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice pix!

Now, if Olympus could do an OM-1 sized manual DSLR....
For me, after more than 30 years with an OM-1, later an OM-3 and now the E-1, the E-1 is in many way what the OM-1 was. It's a bit bigger, there's a battery to charge and there are no tiny WA lenses, but with the 11-22 mounted, I'm very happy.

There's an advantage as well: the OM 100mm f/2.8 has suddenly become the world's tiniest, fast 200mm. There's just nothing like it for candids :)