The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X10 or X50, whatever it will be called….

raist3d

What about dynamic range at base ISO vs m4/3rds? Would it be necessary to shoot at 6Mp to give the enhanced DR?

Cheers

Brian
I would expect the DR to outclass the Olympus 4/3rds sensor, match or exceed the Panasonic better sensor. But yes, at 6 MP. At full 12 MP I would expect some nice DR, perhaps close to Olympus 4/3rds (given the LX5 at the lowest ISO actually has about that).

But yeah, the "super DR mode" is in 6 MP.

- Raist

raist3d

Well, I don't know about the Pentax Q but the DP1 had buckets full of dynamic range to add to a spectacularly sharp few Mp of resolution - along with a very high grade lens.

What I'm hoping, is that the X10 will have an exceptionally sharp and well behaved zoom lens - and if the dynamic range at base ISO is better than the current crop of m4/3rds sensors I'll be adding one to my kit for lightweight landscape / city use where I want the zoom range.

Cheers

Brian
I really think the X10 lens may be a nice surprise. Looks like Fuji went all out on it which is good because lens matters. But to use the X10 best on that end (the DR) you probably need to get used to the idea of 6 MP shots. As a test I printed in 13x13 inch an LX5 portrait shot I made at ISO 800 and I was surprised how well it came out. A Sigma I know looks superb (dp1/dp2), but that's because the Foveon has richer data per pixel, though you may still get jaggies on some subjects. Also Epson's driver rocks :)

So given that, I could easily see 8x10 prints out of 6 MP with a high quality lens and DR. And ditto for the web. Now, if you do cropping, then yeah, better learn to frame better (I need to watch a bit there lately). But good prints at 8x10 I think are pretty good, and on a push you could still get 12 MP shots out of the X10 in many situations that still have all you need.

- Raist

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
As well, did anyone see if it's possible to get sound from an external source in to this little wonder? I could not see that in the specs.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Same sized sensor, and I know from having owned two LC-1s and one D2 that this sized sensor can make really lovely images. cheers, kl

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks Keith; as soon as a stable supplier appears, I will pre-order, too. Thanks for the update.

anyone have any info. on getting external sound into this baby? cheers all, KL

Brian Mosley

I really think the X10 lens may be a nice surprise. Looks like Fuji went all out on it which is good because lens matters. But to use the X10 best on that end (the DR) you probably need to get used to the idea of 6 MP shots. As a test I printed in 13x13 inch an LX5 portrait shot I made at ISO 800 and I was surprised how well it came out. A Sigma I know looks superb (dp1/dp2), but that's because the Foveon has richer data per pixel, though you may still get jaggies on some subjects. Also Epson's driver rocks :)

So given that, I could easily see 8x10 prints out of 6 MP with a high quality lens and DR. And ditto for the web. Now, if you do cropping, then yeah, better learn to frame better (I need to watch a bit there lately). But good prints at 8x10 I think are pretty good, and on a push you could still get 12 MP shots out of the X10 in many situations that still have all you need.

- Raist
I think I can live with 6MP images - knowing how E-1 images would print at up to 16"x13" using Qimage for scaling, and the fact that most images will be presented/viewed on a screen.

This is what makes me shake my head in disbelief at the 24Mp sensor used in the Sony Nex 7... :wtf:

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

This is what makes me shake my head in disbelief at the 24Mp sensor used in the Sony Nex 7... :wtf:

Cheers

Brian
Hmmm - I'd like the sensor of the NEX7 . . but not the lenses as it stands right now.
However, this X10 sounds like a sweetie, but it's quite a bit bigger than the XZ-1, and the lens is not that much more impressive, the sensor is larger (but not that much larger).
This is actually a camera I really want (small with decent zoom) and the major contenders seem to be

XZ-1 (I have one and it's pretty good and very endearing. . but I just carried mine around Crete for 2 weeks and never took one shot with it)
X10 (sounds great but I remain to be convinced by the sensor and the size)
Pen or G3 with the new Panasonic 14-42 zoom (Pen E-P3 turned out to be a joy in Crete - my main weapon)
Rumoured Nikon with 1" sensor and 10-30 (28-80 equivalent)
Canon S100 (if the sensor is as good as they say)

Worth noting that the X10 is bigger than lots of the m4/3 bodies and only a tad smaller than an E-p3. . . It'd be surprising if the IQ was anything like as good.

. . . . so what does it have going for it? Well, it's certainly sexy!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
. . . . so what does it have going for it? Well, it's certainly sexy!
The thing it has going for it is a quality optical zoom viewfinder. That's why it is a little big. I have a couple of cameras that use EVFs and while I'm OK with that, it would be refreshing to use this X10 with it's normal rangefinder style footprint.

I preordered today - sounds like there could be a rush on it after the success of the X100.

Keith

jonoslack

The thing it has going for it is a quality optical zoom viewfinder. That's why it is a little big. I have a couple of cameras that use EVFs and while I'm OK with that, it would be refreshing to use this X10 with it's normal rangefinder style footprint.

I preordered today - sounds like there could be a rush on it after the success of the X100.

Keith
Hi Keith
Well, I agree, that is attractive - but unless I've got it wrong, it's only 85%, and that's really quite hard for accurate framing. Added to that, if it's as hard to tell what's in focus as it is with the X100, then it ends up being not very useful.

I reckon the NEX has the viewfinder and the sensor, and m4/3 has the lenses and the body . . . the S100 the size, and the X10 is sexy :)
If the image quality really is that much better than the likes of the Zx1 and the S100 then it may be a contender

But we live in such interesting times at the moment, who would have predicted that there would be such action in the small camera market before the advent of the first m4/3 cameras!

Last edited:

jminor

The Leica Digilux 2 utilized a 2/3rds sensor as well. What will be key here is the quality of the Fujinon lens. The D2 had an ancient sensor, but the
Leica DC Vario Summicron ASPH f2.0 - 2.4 lens was glorious. And that combo made it possible to take wonderful photographs.
John