Site Sponsors

Thread: Fuji X10 or X50, whatever it will be called….

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji X10 or X50, whatever it will be called….

I am trying to *not buy any more cameras for a while*. I am quite happy with my K-5 and that covers the business side of my photography. I am quite happy with my LX5 (if I could do higher ISO than I normally can with it, I would be fine, fine, with it). I… had some "visions, " and looks like Fuji is about to introduce a *very* compelling premium ultra compact camera.

Yes, I would say better than LX5, better than XZ-1. But there's one thing that I am worried about and that is what sensor will Fuji use.

According to this, it will be an EXR:

http://photorumors.com/2011/08/27/fu...-specs-leaked/

EXR… oh one of those special Fuji sensors. The problem with it is that it seems that at full resolution, it really doesn't quite have that resolution and introduces artifacts. So if this is indeed an EXR sensor of 12 MP, this will be more of a 6 MP camera.

Now, nothing much wrong with a 6MP camera that has better low light sensitivity or much improved DR (which are the two special modes of the EXR sensor). In fact the DR most likely surpasses micro four thirds, which for a compact sensor like this is quite a feat.

I really hope that if this is the case, Fuji has improved their EXR special grid bayer demosaicing and at least give a really decent output, even at the higher resolution but since I have yet to see any native resolution EXR shot that looks decent, I wonder.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fuji X10 or X50, whatever it will be called….

What's wrong with the X100?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    What's wrong with the X100?

Cheers

Brian
    Not much that I know of. I was not talking about the X100. There's a new model coming up and it's not an X100 line model.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No worries, I just wondered whether you'd had a play with one? I doubt the X10 or X50 would offer better low light performance - although the high DR sounds of serious interest as a lightweight landscape cam.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried the x100 briefly. I think it's great with the well know firmware issues. Wish it had true manual focus ( not fly by wire ). The lens is super sharp een wide open, ca resistant and has probably the best fill flash I have ever seen (looks very natural).

The x10 won't be this by something else. It's aimed tonthe lx5/s95/xz-1/etc. market. What kills me is that it looks like fuji got everything right except for one thing. Well see.

- raist

Post Thanks / Like

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh dear

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Here it comes…

http://smr.newswire.ca/en/fujifilm/f...remium-compact

We are probably less than an hour away I guess?

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Personally from what I see, this camera's ergonomics just kicks everything else (even though it has the hated cross-wheel thingie I hate so much). LX5, XZ-1, etc. But…. I see two big omissions:

- No built in ND filter- this is a bummer because if you are shooting at F2.0/F2.8 that's a problem. I want to see how fast the shutter can be at max aperture. You could shoot in high DR mode I guess but the shots will look exposure anyway.

- The big one- that EXR sensor. I have yet to see good EXR sensor shots at full resolution. so this is effectively a 6 MP camera. If the 6 MP's look great, I think I could even be fine with that- if the low light and wide DR modes work well. Fuji better have jumped forward/improved its EXR sensor processing.

- Raist
    Last edited by raist3d; 31st August 2011 at 21:43.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, it looks very promising - all depends on image quality, but I really like the design.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

http://gizmodo.com/5836467/fuji-x10-...+shoot-fighter

It says "2/3 inch sensor" - is that 1 / (2/3) or 2/3?
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    http://gizmodo.com/5836467/fuji-x10-...+shoot-fighter

It says "2/3 inch sensor" - is that 1 / (2/3) or 2/3?
    It's a ⅔ sensor, i.e. about 20% bigger (area) than the 1/1.63 sensors of a LX5 and the likes. The specs are up on Fuji Canada's web page.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it looks very promising - all depends on image quality, but I really like the design.

Cheers

Brian
    And that is exactly where I sit too. ;-) Until I see real world shots…. it's all marketing to me.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. Though it looks kind of big to replace a compact point and shoot camera. It actually looks bigger than the GF3 and the NEX series.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, sounds good (stereo) but as others have said it's the image quality that we all want to see. Having said that I see no reason why it should be a disappointment. I'm happy with iso 800, 400 at a push.
    Seem to be lots of small camera offerings to sort through. I'm still hoping Pentax will come up with a 1.5 crop mirror less for my Ltd lenses. Guess this is up to Ricoh now. Still it's all good news as I'm looking to replace my LX3.
    David
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like if the information that Fuji gave on SNR of Canon G12, X100 and X10 (from the Fuji guys/twitter), looking at the Dxo mark for X100, G12 and Olympus E-5/E-P3, I think it may very well be possible that the X10 sensor matches at 6 MP (the 6 MP, low noise mode) the ISO performance of a micro four thirds/four thirds sensor that Olympus uses, or be ball park around it), at say ISO 800/1600.

I know it sounds odd, bizarre but looks like it could very well be possible. I would say if that's indeed the case, even at 6 MP, that's quite remarkable. We'll see if what I read is right and how off I am with my own prediction. This would mean 1.5 stops (or 2) over an LX5.

- Raist

PS: The fuji guys link:

http://yfrog.com/nyp74vjj
    Last edited by raist3d; 4th September 2011 at 19:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What about dynamic range at base ISO vs m4/3rds? Would it be necessary to shoot at 6Mp to give the enhanced DR?

Cheers

Brian

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just did a photobook on Toronto which used some older files. One was the interior of a church which I took with my Epson R-D1 (6mp) and the roughly 13in x 8in black and white image surprised the hell out of me for IQ

Cameras like the Sigma DP1 (and the new Pentax Q) are inducing photographers to think along the lines of "small is beautiful" where pixel counts are concerned

I'm preordering the X10

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I don't know about the Pentax Q but the DP1 had buckets full of dynamic range to add to a spectacularly sharp few Mp of resolution - along with a very high grade lens.

What I'm hoping, is that the X10 will have an exceptionally sharp and well behaved zoom lens - and if the dynamic range at base ISO is better than the current crop of m4/3rds sensors I'll be adding one to my kit for lightweight landscape / city use where I want the zoom range.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

What about dynamic range at base ISO vs m4/3rds? Would it be necessary to shoot at 6Mp to give the enhanced DR?

Cheers

Brian
    I would expect the DR to outclass the Olympus 4/3rds sensor, match or exceed the Panasonic better sensor. But yes, at 6 MP. At full 12 MP I would expect some nice DR, perhaps close to Olympus 4/3rds (given the LX5 at the lowest ISO actually has about that).

But yeah, the "super DR mode" is in 6 MP.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't know about the Pentax Q but the DP1 had buckets full of dynamic range to add to a spectacularly sharp few Mp of resolution - along with a very high grade lens.

What I'm hoping, is that the X10 will have an exceptionally sharp and well behaved zoom lens - and if the dynamic range at base ISO is better than the current crop of m4/3rds sensors I'll be adding one to my kit for lightweight landscape / city use where I want the zoom range.

Cheers

Brian
    I really think the X10 lens may be a nice surprise. Looks like Fuji went all out on it which is good because lens matters. But to use the X10 best on that end (the DR) you probably need to get used to the idea of 6 MP shots. As a test I printed in 13x13 inch an LX5 portrait shot I made at ISO 800 and I was surprised how well it came out. A Sigma I know looks superb (dp1/dp2), but that's because the Foveon has richer data per pixel, though you may still get jaggies on some subjects. Also Epson's driver rocks :-)

So given that, I could easily see 8x10 prints out of 6 MP with a high quality lens and DR. And ditto for the web. Now, if you do cropping, then yeah, better learn to frame better (I need to watch a bit there lately). But good prints at 8x10 I think are pretty good, and on a push you could still get 12 MP shots out of the X10 in many situations that still have all you need.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

I'm preordering the X10

Keith
    where are you doing that, Keith—I want to order one too. Cheers, KL

Post Thanks / Like

As well, did anyone see if it's possible to get sound from an external source in to this little wonder? I could not see that in the specs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This may be the modernized Leica Digilux 2 I've been waiting for...
    I Sing The Camera Electric....
    Ricoh GR
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/j9fingers/

Post Thanks / Like

Same sized sensor, and I know from having owned two LC-1s and one D2 that this sized sensor can make really lovely images. cheers, kl

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    where are you doing that, Keith—I want to order one too. Cheers, KL
    No luck at finding anywhere yet, Kit. Seems that the pricing has not been locked. I've tried Canadian and US suppliers. Should be possible soon though.

Keith

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whoops, Adorama has just got it listed - $699. Taking preorders

Keith

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whoops again, Adorama has removed the listing

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ricoh GR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Keith; as soon as a stable supplier appears, I will pre-order, too. Thanks for the update.

anyone have any info. on getting external sound into this baby? cheers all, KL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I really think the X10 lens may be a nice surprise. Looks like Fuji went all out on it which is good because lens matters. But to use the X10 best on that end (the DR) you probably need to get used to the idea of 6 MP shots. As a test I printed in 13x13 inch an LX5 portrait shot I made at ISO 800 and I was surprised how well it came out. A Sigma I know looks superb (dp1/dp2), but that's because the Foveon has richer data per pixel, though you may still get jaggies on some subjects. Also Epson's driver rocks :-)

So given that, I could easily see 8x10 prints out of 6 MP with a high quality lens and DR. And ditto for the web. Now, if you do cropping, then yeah, better learn to frame better (I need to watch a bit there lately). But good prints at 8x10 I think are pretty good, and on a push you could still get 12 MP shots out of the X10 in many situations that still have all you need.

- Raist
    I think I can live with 6MP images - knowing how E-1 images would print at up to 16"x13" using Qimage for scaling, and the fact that most images will be presented/viewed on a screen.

This is what makes me shake my head in disbelief at the 24Mp sensor used in the Sony Nex 7...

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is what makes me shake my head in disbelief at the 24Mp sensor used in the Sony Nex 7...

Cheers

Brian
    Hmmm - I'd like the sensor of the NEX7 . . but not the lenses as it stands right now.
    However, this X10 sounds like a sweetie, but it's quite a bit bigger than the XZ-1, and the lens is not that much more impressive, the sensor is larger (but not that much larger).
    This is actually a camera I really want (small with decent zoom) and the major contenders seem to be

XZ-1 (I have one and it's pretty good and very endearing. . but I just carried mine around Crete for 2 weeks and never took one shot with it)
    X10 (sounds great but I remain to be convinced by the sensor and the size)
    Pen or G3 with the new Panasonic 14-42 zoom (Pen E-P3 turned out to be a joy in Crete - my main weapon)
    Rumoured Nikon with 1" sensor and 10-30 (28-80 equivalent)
    Canon S100 (if the sensor is as good as they say)

Worth noting that the X10 is bigger than lots of the m4/3 bodies and only a tad smaller than an E-p3. . . It'd be surprising if the IQ was anything like as good.

. . . . so what does it have going for it? Well, it's certainly sexy!

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

. . . . so what does it have going for it? Well, it's certainly sexy!
    The thing it has going for it is a quality optical zoom viewfinder. That's why it is a little big. I have a couple of cameras that use EVFs and while I'm OK with that, it would be refreshing to use this X10 with it's normal rangefinder style footprint.

I preordered today - sounds like there could be a rush on it after the success of the X100.

Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    The thing it has going for it is a quality optical zoom viewfinder. That's why it is a little big. I have a couple of cameras that use EVFs and while I'm OK with that, it would be refreshing to use this X10 with it's normal rangefinder style footprint.

I preordered today - sounds like there could be a rush on it after the success of the X100.

Keith
    Hi Keith
    Well, I agree, that is attractive - but unless I've got it wrong, it's only 85%, and that's really quite hard for accurate framing. Added to that, if it's as hard to tell what's in focus as it is with the X100, then it ends up being not very useful.

I reckon the NEX has the viewfinder and the sensor, and m4/3 has the lenses and the body . . . the S100 the size, and the X10 is sexy
    If the image quality really is that much better than the likes of the Zx1 and the S100 then it may be a contender

But we live in such interesting times at the moment, who would have predicted that there would be such action in the small camera market before the advent of the first m4/3 cameras!
    Last edited by jonoslack; 15th September 2011 at 15:27.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The 2/3 sensor size was used in the excellent Canon Pro 1.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Leica Digilux 2 utilized a 2/3rds sensor as well. What will be key here is the quality of the Fujinon lens. The D2 had an ancient sensor, but the
    Leica DC Vario Summicron ASPH f2.0 - 2.4 lens was glorious. And that combo made it possible to take wonderful photographs.
    John
    Ricoh GR

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji posts new official X10 samples:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...sample_images/

I must say the new samples look really good. This is all iso 100 though but I am seeing decent detail at 12 MP and decent DR.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

I just shot a field test video for this camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUuDcn0DSQ

Post Thanks / Like

canon PRO 1 had an L lens!

Post Thanks / Like

DC Impress Japan review is just out. Camera is out in Japan Oct 22 (which is today, right now in Japan):

http://translate.google.com/translat...14_483546.html

Reading....

- Raist

Update: Oops! This is an "impressions" report, not a full review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TCSJordan View Post
    I just shot a field test video for this camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUuDcn0DSQ
    Saw your video :-) Thanks for posting here too. Question for you guys over there in Canada - I realize these are both different cameras, but what you see as pros/cons of Pentax Q vs Fuji X10?

Can the X10 fit in a jeans pocket?

I expect both to be good for a set of similar and then different reasons, but you guys have used both so...

Thanks!

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

I think I can live with 6MP images - knowing how E-1 images would print at up to 16"x13" using Qimage for scaling, and the fact that most images will be presented/viewed on a screen.

Cheers

Brian
    Well the last two finally good lenses introduced by Sony do seem to resolve that resolution. If I was a landscape photographer I would weight that camera in a lot, but I am not. But that's me an my needs. And yeah you will need one of the new lenses. The rest of the Sony lenses from what I have seen don't cut it, though it may still get higher resolution than a Nex at 16MP.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Saw your video :-) Thanks for posting here too. Question for you guys over there in Canada - I realize these are both different cameras, but what you see as pros/cons of Pentax Q vs Fuji X10?

Can the X10 fit in a jeans pocket?

I expect both to be good for a set of similar and then different reasons, but you guys have used both so...

Thanks!

- Raist
    Both cameras have their strengths. IQ is tough to judge as the X10 we used was pre-production. The Pentax gives you a huge variety of ways to tailor the image processing in camera, and while it sounds gimmicky, it's actually a lot of fun. It has the same appeal as an iPhone with the various camera apps, but with much better ergonomics.

I would say the Fuji is the more enthusiast oriented of the two camera, the viewfinder is nice to have in a pinch, and it gives you more DOF control, although of course still quite limited. The EXR chip really does work well for dynamic range as well.

Handling on both cameras is excellent. I would have trouble choosing a clear winner, though I have to say the X10 is the sexier camera in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

It's in the stores here now. I'm going to go check it out today. I may or may not come home with one. If one does follow me home, I'll post something here.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TCSJordan View Post
    Both cameras have their strengths. IQ is tough to judge as the X10 we used was pre-production. The Pentax gives you a huge variety of ways to tailor the image processing in camera, and while it sounds gimmicky, it's actually a lot of fun. It has the same appeal as an iPhone with the various camera apps, but with much better ergonomics.
    I had a chance to try the Q. I think if the filters are seen as "different film types" it works. I think the Pentax Q is like a digital mini-Diana and then can operate a "bit more pro" than that using raw and careful exposure.

I would say the Fuji is the more enthusiast oriented of the two camera, the viewfinder is nice to have in a pinch, and it gives you more DOF control, although of course still quite limited. The EXR chip really does work well for dynamic range as well.
    I was wondering how its sensor in low sensitivity mode works say at ISO 3200/6400.

Handling on both cameras is excellent. I would have trouble choosing a clear winner, though I have to say the X10 is the sexier camera in my opinion.
    I would imagine both are good and it boils down to one particular thing or two per individual. I would imagine for the Q it's the ultimate super-size down and variety of options. For the Fuji I would imagine is probably faster operation, better IQ at least at certain ISO's, better DR.

Thanks for the impressions.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    It's in the stores here now. I'm going to go check it out today. I may or may not come home with one. If one does follow me home, I'll post something here.

Bill
    Oh hey, *you are in Japan*. Didn't know.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Oh hey, *you are in Japan*. Didn't know.

- Ricardo
    Yes, I live in Tokyo. I just got home with my new "toy" and the battery is charging now. I'm not feeling too well today so I probably won't do much playing around with the camera. But if I get anything worth looking at I'll post it here.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    Yes, I live in Tokyo. I just got home with my new "toy" and the battery is charging now. I'm not feeling too well today so I probably won't do much playing around with the camera. But if I get anything worth looking at I'll post it here.

Bill
    Well? ... umm... feeling better? :-)

- Raist