Site Sponsors

Thread: Pentax Q

Post Thanks / Like

Pentax Q

This camera is tiny. Looks like a toy but is not. A friend asked "How old is it?", 2011 :-)

Overall the price is likely the main issues here.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pentax Q

Uwe,
    When I first read of the Q I thought, why?, it seemed pointless, but then I saw it alongside the GRD and then its raison d'Ítre seemed obvious. Why not, I say now. Its what some have been asking for, for a long time. Its fills a niche not previously occupied by anything?!

Some PP I would guess?!

Post Thanks / Like

Why photograph people with the iPhone? Fun. Q? Fun too. Very small. The people think it is a toy but it is not.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

so Uwe - you have one?
    Good?
    my feeling is that if you want that kindofathing, the the Nikon rather eclipses it. Am I wrong?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

>so Uwe - you have one?

Yes

>Good?

Finding out

>my feeling is that if you want that kindofathing, the the Nikon rather eclipses it. Am I wrong?

Will see.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    my feeling is that if you want that kindofathing, the the Nikon rather eclipses it. Am I wrong?
    It depends how you are comparing it to the Nikon, but the Q is much smaller than the Nikon cameras. The Nikon lives up with m4/3s and NEX as far as size/weight. Nothing compares to the size of the Q.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like

The Nikon 1 and the Q are completely different cameras. And I will say that the Q has vastly better ergonomics for the enthusiast The Nikon 1 (so far) is a consumer-oriented system. This shouldn't mean I am saying it's bad, but it's not with the enthusiast/more experienced photographer in mind.

I had a chance to try out the Q recently and the Q amazed me in a few ways. At this point I am waiting on some things to settle. I want to see if the X10 can fit in a pant pocket or not (the Q *DID* pass that test for me, with the prime 1 lens attached).

Because if I keep my LX5, go Q, go X10, that's my pocket camera for the next 5 years. I am taking a vow to end the upgrade gravy train and focus on my photography.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

>This shouldn't mean I am saying it's bad, but it's not with the enthusiast/more experienced photographer in mind.

Not sure what you mean. The Nikon 1 should have fast AF and other top features. Have to see how the video is. The Q has too low bit rates.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >This shouldn't mean I am saying it's bad, but it's not with the enthusiast/more experienced photographer in mind.

Not sure what you mean. The Nikon 1 should have fast AF and other top features. Have to see how the video is. The Q has too low bit rates.
    What I mean is that Nikon designed the entire interface with the consumer in mind. There's no PASM- you have to dig into a menu and it's cumbersome. But you have the "best photo" thing, the photo , the video switch. I applaud Nikon for coming up for something new, but it's consumer oriented.

Neither the J1 nor the V1 are aimed at the enthusiast per se. More a consumer enthusiast if such a category could be named :-)

I would not be surprised Nikon later on comes out with a "Nikon Z 1" or such that would be those extra controls.

Fast AF has nothing to do, imho, with a more knowledgeable enthusiast photographer. That's more auto = consumer, particularly the way is done in conjunction with the other features like tracking, etc.

To me enthusiast photographer goes with a different set of controls/ergonomics and the camera gives a lot of control in a very easy to tweak/change/read way. This is not the case with either model.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Seems I first get the P1 into my hands. Also the the two models seem to differ.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

The two model's interface does not differ much at all.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Question about EPL3 vs a Q

Since you have the Q, have you had a chance to use a micro four thirds EPL-3? What set of Pros a Q has over it in your opinion? (if any)

Thanks.

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post
    It depends how you are comparing it to the Nikon, but the Q is much smaller than the Nikon cameras. The Nikon lives up with m4/3s and NEX as far as size/weight. Nothing compares to the size of the Q.
    HI Charles
    So I now realise - I'm certainly fascinated by what Uwe finds - It seems like a fun thing to me . . . . . will the IQ be as good as the iPhone 4s (in our tests here the iPhone is better than the Canon S95 at equivalent fov.)

Just this guy you know